NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 22>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 9:15am
I talked with holley's tech line yesterday and am looking at this carb. Holley 750
Shane from holley liked this model for my set-up. It will require the dual feed(I think I can adapt the fatory fuel line to the split line designed for these carbs), but I forgot to ask if my mechanical fuel pump will do the job. I also didn't ask about the wedge plate I've been using with the edelbrock carb that was on it.

I've read though a lot of opinions on the wedge plate but would still like some thoughts on this app'n. It may turn out that I don't have room for it anyway, and I think I remember Chris(79) saying that the holley didn't require the plate if the floats are set right?
Thanks

Edit: further reading answered my question on the wedge.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 11:37am
Thats the one of the carbs I offered to let you borrow to try for comparison to your 650cfm about a dozen pages back. You can get a line set from summit pretty reasonably, mine has one that is chrome and just has a 3/8 flex fuel line clamped on. The stock pump on a 454 should feed it fine imho.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 12:05pm
Thanks Joe, I remembered your offer and almost took you up on it. I didn't because I wouldn't want to mess up your stuff and because I don't have a 650 to compare to. The edelbrock I have is a 600.
Glad to hear the pump should be fine.
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 12:13pm
Its not installed and I don't have any future plans for it other than keep it around on my shelf o'carbs to make my shop look more badass. So the only question is whether you wanted to cover shipping both ways to have the option of testing before you buy, to me thats a toss up I always just buy and figure one way or another I will find a place to use it later, but that is why I have a bench o'carbs, a shelf o'stereos, a shelf o'props, a shelf o'heads, a shelf o'intakes... well you get the point.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 12:29pm
That's funny, I'm starting to accumulate myself. I have extra BB heads and other assorted parts, still have a polished 351 crank still in the bag from the machine shop, the carb, etc...

I do think this will be the carb(750) that I want with so many people agreeing on it. You didn't mention selling your carb...I'm not above buying used. I could send you an old, worn out auto carb to fill the spot on your shelf?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 4:40pm
Not really looking to sell it, I will want to get both my boats into good tune with thier new cams and power adders before I start to reduce inventory. I found mine used on ebay it was advertised as being tried on a boat for 2 hours then removed, after looking at it I believed the story and didnt bother to rebuild it as I had intended to, it was about half price and included the fuel line so I felt a good deal so take a look on ebay and see what you find.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 8:18am
No sweat Joe, and so you know where I'm coming from on your offer; I just got an internet security update cd in the mail...it's broken in 2?!!? I thought that was ironic, and those things are pretty tough anyway. I would feel terrible if that was your carb.
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 2:38am
15 pages and counting! Buffalos and BFNs must be pretty popular around here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 8:49am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

15 pages and counting! Buffalos and BFNs must be pretty popular around here.

john

There's another way to read that...but thanks! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 11:49am
The last parts are starting to come in and decisions are many. Here's a shot of the carb on the wedge plate. With the factory flame arrestor(on its way) on it will be slightly high in the front. My choices seem to be 2; use it or not. If I do I could make a 2" teak 'bed' for the cover to sit on, or with a spread bore to holley gasket it may fit. All comments welcome and this pic is w/o the flash on purpose.

1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 12:21pm
Greg, any plans for interior work anytime in the near future? One option I considered was to add a little bit of glass to the bottom edge of my motobox to increase clearance. With the taller pylon in the BFN, you wont run into any rope clearance problems.

If not, you could potentially bring the floor up a little bit when you redo it- that would have the box sitting a little higher as well. I added a little bit of filler in some strategic spots before I recarpeted- it probably increased my clearance by 1/4".

Paul Waters added a nice looking (fiberglass?) motorbox base in his Classic. Thats really the only nice looking one I can think of, though. Im not sure how good wood (teak or not) would look.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg, any plans for interior work anytime in the near future?

Surely you saw my pumpkin patch thread? I thought about the teak to tie it all together, but it could easily be a glass fix...might look better that way anyway.

I was really asking about the wedge plate but didn't want to start a debate on that topic. Redline auto has a plate that adapts spreadbore to square bore so that the gaskets fit both ways, but there doesn't seem to be a gasket that does that. From what I've read here it doesn't really matter about the wedge if the floats are set right?

To wedge or not to wedge?
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 1:04pm
IMHO if it came with a wedge use the wedge. I dont know how much a wedge would really add to the effective height the front of the wedge on my 302 is maybe an 1/8 of an inch?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 1:25pm
Greg, when I said interior work, I meant vinyl. Are you replacing the skins or just the stringers/floor? If you were to extend the bottome edge of the motorbox, you would need longer piece of carpet sewn onto the bottom of the vinyl (if not replace the whole thing).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 1:28pm
It's clearly a spread bore to square bore wedge/adapter plate, and I do think it's factory but who knows after 20 years. It is 11/16" at the front and the carb bolts to it and it to the the intake. I think the factory carb was the holley 650, but I've seen references to the rochester carb. Maybe Gottaski or '87 will chime in on the original set up. The factory intake is a spread bore.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 1:39pm

Greg, when I said interior work, I meant vinyl. Are you replacing the skins or just the stringers/floor?

Oops, got it. I'll move or fix whatever needs it. My interior besides the carpet is 2 years old but is less than perfect so I'll be able to make changes.
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 2:39pm
you want to use a holley with a side hung float and then you do not need the wedge plate. Also another option that my buddy used on his carb was a Edelbrock where the float is like a wishbone and sets in bowls in the center of the carb dead center in the throat of the carb.

so let me clearify on what I mean by a side hung float verse a center hung float. basicly there are two metal arms that are conneted and protrude into the float and in between these arms is a flat area where the needle is hung from. Within these arms is the pivit point where a rod passes throw to hang the float. So on a side hung float that pin is positioned in alignment with the front to back of the motor so the the centerline of the float and its up and down move is now perpendictular to the centerline of the motor. With this set-up has the bow rises and falls the fuel level in the bowl is effect slightly has the fuel level in the rear of the bowl does not change much or effect the bonacy of the float. Meaning it does open or close the needle valve.

Now with a center hung float every thing is reversed, the pivit goes side to side and the float goes front to back related to the motor. In this case has the bow rises and falls it creates more movement of fuel within the float bowl because of the float's bonacy and the fuel level change creates twice as much movement has compared to the side hung. So what happens the bow comes up the needle valve opens letting in more gas raising the level within the bowl now when the bow comes back down there is too much gas in the bowl so now it bleeds off through the over flow and creates a temp flooded condition.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 3:06pm
Thanks Joe & Tim...Chris, super good tech info! I'll do some better explaining when I'm not trying to do 4 things at once.

This carb has center hung floats. Is this carb available with side hung? More decisions...   Sherman and Ben may disown me if I go to an edelbrock carb?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 3:11pm
FWIW-the wedge plate has remnants of the red primer that has been on the other parts.
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 4:51pm
I wasn't a big fan of edelbrock carb's to me the majority of them are re-badged Q-jet's which I have no problems with, but alot do, has they are a little more challenging to set correctly and to get to run right but once they are it requires less frequent tuning to keep them right.

But when I saw my buddies new carb it was a completely orginal design from Edelbrock and the location of the floats made since to me. so. It's my experince that most Holley double pump as center hung, most single lines are side hung and what the factory used the majority of the time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 9:09am
This doesn't go to function, but the edelbrock carb is taller and won't accept the factory flame arrestor.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 9:35am

Greg, do a search on here for more info on the DUI. Several of us run them (JoeinNY has 2) and swear by them. I picked up 200rpm on the top end with mine. The parts are all replaceable with off-the-shelf GM HEI parts, and the thing is cake to work on. They custom make each one, so there is a little lag once you order- but they match the advance curve to the engine components. Once you get it, plug in 2 wires (12V and tach) and youre good to go. You can even select a cap color to compliment your shiny new paint!

The only bad thing Ive heard about them is that they "dont look right" on a Ford, especially in a vintage boat. Thats not an issue with your Chevy.

Tim, Performance Distributers was a pleasure to deal with...5 days and in the house!
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 10:48am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Performance Distributers was a pleasure to deal with...5 days and in the house!

Greg, Im glad to hear it. Their lag time was closer to 2 weeks when I ordered mine. I cant wait to hear how the engine runs!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 1:08pm

I cant wait to hear how the engine runs!

I was just thinking the same thing. We're supposed to have 67 degrees and light wind today, and I'm splitting my saturday between a bathroom remodel and the pumpkin patch?!!? Shoot me now! LOL

Good news though, my dock is almost floating! We've had some good rain here and north of us in the mountains and we're looking for more tomorrow and next week. I'm almost giddy over it.
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 2:15pm
vroom, vroom
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

vroom, vroom

I have your official blessing now? Be careful...if I do have the intake on bacerds, I'd spoil your rep around here?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 6:50pm
its either that or boom boom, it should run like a champ, if it turns out half as nice as those space shuttle stands you made your in good shape, I can tell you paid close attention to detail
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 8:15pm
Thank you sir!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 1:18pm
I have a feeling this ones gonna be a "all show and no go"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I have a feeling this ones gonna be a "all show and no go"

Do tell...how come?

I've been digging for an answer on the correct sealant to use on fuel line fittings...permatex white? Nothing?
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 22>
  Share Topic