NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 22>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 1:30pm
fuel, just bustin your marbles this morning...the fuel lines normally seal on a taper and sealant is not required
nothing, make sure they fit and seal on a taper though
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 1:43pm
Acting up on a Sunday morning?!!? Your better half must be out...

They are tapered pipe thread fittings. The dual feed line I have looks like it's set up for a hose barb, so I had to provide a seat(2 extra fittings). Thanks for the info, I've seen fuel lines done more than 1 way and I like finding out the right way from you guys.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 1:49pm
look inside the female fitting for the taper, and the male also will have a taper to seat on the female taper. usually the tube will go thru the fitting and then you flare it, the flare is the seal and if this is what you have then you do not need sealant
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 2:28pm
Greg, If the threads are NPT and not the female flare that Eric is referring to, then the adapters are missing. Should be able to find them at the auto supply. NPT to 1/4" flare (brake line) Yes, NO sealer

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 2:32pm
Pete, I think he is talking about the line from the pump to the carb??? somtimes those fittings may seem like pipe.....greg can you take a pic?
the hundreds of times i've removed teflon tape from that line
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 2:52pm
Eric, I did catch that it's at the carb.

Greg, do look for the male taper for the flare at the bottom of the hole. Do you have a decent tubing bender? Don't even think about those spring benders. They are a absolute joke and you are working with steel tubing. Double flaring tool or are you going to start with pre flared brake line?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 4:13pm
I picked up the 2 fittings I think yall are referring to this morning. It's a reducer and the 1/4"brake line fitting. AZone is the only place open today and I'm wondering if the performance shop will have 1 fitting that takes the place of the 2 I have. The line I'm using has formed flares and fittings...I also leaned how to make a flare. LOL I bent the line last night before I realized I needed the seat fitting and it was just right...for a moment! Now those fittings have pushed the union back(twards the thermostat) where it's hard to get that short 90 degree bend. There's room for the cooling hose like it is in the pic, but it would rub. I'll see what the go-fast store has tomorrow. He has a separate room full of expensive fittings for any part of a car...better not take much money?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 8:22pm
Greg, I see now that you did need the flare to pipe adapter. Glad you found it at the big chain store! In tight places, flare nut wrenches can be real handy. They won't open up (spread) like open ends will.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 10:36am
Oh man, i hope you dont get pulled over by the Coast Guard
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 11:07am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Oh man, i hope you dont get pulled over by the Coast Guard

Well me too, but why do you say that? Or is this another marble exercise?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 11:45am
I know you are the type that lets something go around and around and over and over again,
what a way to start a monday morning....everything looks like it is "by the book"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 11:58am
Greg, Eric is up to his normal "pulling your chain" routine!! Now if you had used rubber hose and hose clamps, then you would need to be worried about the Coast Gaurd!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, Eric is up to his normal "pulling your chain" routine!! Now if you had used rubber hose and hose clamps, then you would need to be worried about the Coast Gaurd!

Something along the lines of the 'shark suits' I put in another thread?

Eric, you're just subtle enough to get me going...but I should know better by now?!!? And coming from a guy who paints over transmission ID tags! LOL

I asked one of my first real bosses years ago why he picked on me all the time. He said I shouldn't worry about that, but that I should worry when he quit picking on me!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 12:28pm
Greg, Eric paints over ID tags? I must have missed that one! Maybe after it was brought to his attention that he has upgraded his technique. Now he just puts grease on the tags! Masking tape? What's that?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 1:14pm
I paintd over mine all you have to do is just wipe it down with some thinner after you paint it and before it dry's
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 1:53pm
if its a nice clean tag I'll grease it, if it's nasty looking I'll paint over it
usually you still can read them with paint over them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 3:06pm
Touche` !
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:28pm
i think i just worked a deal for 2 427 chevy marine engines, all the manifolds, and 2 borg warner 2.57:1 tranny's on the back
maybe I'll be joining the BB club
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 10:18pm
If I'm reading the trans ratio right you should be able to get a houseboat to bunny hop out of the hole. LOL

Anything I should know about painting my alternator?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 8:48am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Anything I should know about painting my alternator?

If you are using a spray can, you push the little button down on the top of the can and paint comes out. Make sure you have it pointed in the proper direction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 9:00am
Pete, you're a pal?!!? LOL

I should've been more specific. Can it be painted without taking it apart? Is it ok for a little paint to get inside the case? I know how to remove the pulley and fan, but that's it.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 9:46am
Greg, I was just trying to get a laugh out of you this morning! I wouldn't worry about getting some paint inside it. Remember when the engine builders paint, they just go at it with the gun and spray everything. Hoses and belts included!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 10:06am
You did Pete...and I did paint the inside of my hand once! That was a few weeks ago though, and life seems to be marching on.

FWIW-I know I ask a lot of questions, and you probably know that I'm not on a first name basis with electricity by now. I just wanted to make sure. Before I did any painting, I looked for a book on the subject, googled, and tried the seach feature here. No luck, at least for a detailed step-by-step. I put alternator in our search here a couple of weeks ago and got 0 results?!!? Must've been a fluke.

OCD...a blessing and a curse!   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 10:29am
Here's another. If you look at my last pic you'll see the the fuel line connection is directly above the water temp sender. The sender will have a rubber boot and I hope the line doesn't ever leak, but am I asking for trouble down the road?

The sender could be moved to the other side, but it's where it needs to be(same side as elec choke) for a clean wiring job. Also, will it operate right with the aluminum manifold(ground)?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 10:37am
"Must've been a fluke." You do know that Fluke is the largest manufacturer of electrical measuring devices!!!

Put some dielectric grease on the terminal under the rubber boot and it will be fine. You won't have any leaks anyway - correct?!! The aluminum manifold won't be a issue ether. If it does corrode a little, it will only be at the edges. If you ever did have problems, the first thing to do is grab the Fluke and measure resistence at the temp sender.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 10:52am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

"Must've been a fluke." You do know that Fluke is the largest manufacturer of electrical measuring devices!!!

I do now! LOL I meant it differently, but thanks for the info. And when are you going to sit down and write a book?
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 1:45am
Motor looks awesome Greg.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 9:29am
Thanks John!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 3:26pm
Time to go see about itchy and scratchy?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 3:44pm
Great looking engine. I'd like to drop it my Mustang.

I'm interested in your engine stand. I've been building one in my head. Are those just 2x4s fastened together? It looks like you might have notched the framing? How is everything attached? I'd like to build one and put casters on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 22>
  Share Topic