NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 22>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 3:58pm
Ditto on the stand and the rebuild , just one question......
Why is the distr. at the rear.I thought all " REAL MOTORS" were blue ?????????
               Boat dr

If the weather will warm up Karen and I will take Knot Correct out for her maiden voyage this week end.Any of yall want to join us.
Temps today high 60's tommorow 70,gotta love the south.............ha ha ha
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 4:03pm
Thanks Bruce...and you're a genius! That's what's missing from mine. I had to block mine up so the picker could get under. I knew something was tugging at my head when I saw uk1979 set his up for a pallet jack. 5.5" casters would solve at least 2 problems.

The frame is 2 glued up 2x4's half-lapped at the joints. The 'risers' are just stacked 2x4's. Everything is glued and screwed.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 4:07pm
Thanks Doc. If it makes you feel better, the last 1 I did had the distributer in the front......from a long block though, not from the ground up.
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 4:09pm
Elmers wood glue and 2.5" drywall screws are good enough? Half lapped means notched? I'm not a woodworker. I was thinking about buying an engine hoist, but I really don't need one if I can build a stand like that. I can haul the engine out with a comealong.

Boat Dr, what kind of PU you drive?

It's a toasty warm sunny 31 here today. We had a little 4" snow storm yesterday. I got to spend an hour getting some exercise cleaning it up. It's so much fun, you don't know what you're missing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Elmers wood glue and 2.5" drywall screws are good enough? Half lapped means notched? I'm not a woodworker. I was thinking about buying an engine hoist, but I really don't need one if I can build a stand like that. I can haul the engine out with a comealong.

The wood glue and 2.5's are fine, and half lapped does mean notched to me. Pete may have 1 of his cool pics?

The thing about this stand is that it relies on the trans...won't work without. Your set-up may be different. The stand counts on tight tolerances at the joints and being flat for it's strength.
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 4:22pm
I stand on the above post....
"Thats my story and I am sticking to it"
Water is not supposed to get hard, and ice goes into your sweetened tea.But you northern guys don't understand the concept ,iced tea...
Bruce you ain't pulling me into that trap.All I will say on that subject is;
A dirty brown 4 wheel drive,
It aint a Ford
Nor a MOPAR
and yes the Distr. is in the front.....The rest i plead the 5th on.......
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 4:27pm
My rear mounts are on the engine, not the trans.

I was thinking about using 4x4s and bolting them together for the frame. Easier for me than notching, but that is a good picture of what I want to do.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 4:38pm
Bruce, My stands never get as fancy as Greg's! He has this obsession with wood that even if it isn't required it needs to be real fancy! I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get out the sealer and poly to give his boat stands and engine stand 8 or 9 coats.

Mine is simply a couple of 2X8's to simulate the stringers in the boat. A couple of 2x4's connecting them via angle iron bolted in the corners. 4 steel plates in the corners to match the bolt pattern of 4 - 3" dia. steel wheel swivel casters. The caster plates are welded off to the corner angle iron.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 6:14pm
That's a pretty easy way to do it Pete.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 9:17am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce, My stands never get as fancy as Greg's! He has this obsession with wood that even if it isn't required it needs to be real fancy! I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get out the sealer and poly to give his boat stands and engine stand 8 or 9 coats.

LOL Fancy? Nah, just functional. The only new wood in either stand is the crooked, cheap stuff from the big box store that was left over from other projects. Remember, less than $3 in all 5!
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 12:55pm
3 bucks in wood 2000 in labor
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 12:56pm
i would think Gepetto would use Gorilla glue
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i would think Gepetto would use Gorilla glue

Eric, Woodworkers journal did a very in depth study on glues and found that the polyurethanes (gorilla) glues weren't the greatest!! It is gap filling for the sloppy woodworker but the bigger the gap, the weaker the joint. The titebond II came out on top if I remember correctly. Titebond III is said to be "waterproof" but I wouldn't use it on a boat. The results on the polys did surprise me because the stuff sure sticks to your hands and you need to wear it for several days!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 4:36pm

the bigger the gap, the weaker the joint

Eric, this is the ticket and the strength of regular glue on a long grain to long grain joint is amazing. I think I have a sample of gorilla glue, but I have yet to try it. What Pete said about sticky hands is all I've heard.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 4:37pm

Only $1850...but the guy won't pay me?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Only $1850...but the guy won't pay me?!!?

Greg, I don't think Eric has bought any wood lately!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:03pm

Greg, I don't think Eric has bought any wood lately!!!

That's what I think every time I go to get some. I do have enough material to have a couple of franklins in those 2 projects if I didn't already have it. Sometimes a pack rat has just what he needs around the house! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:11pm
Pete, you should know better than that, if a transom job takes 3 sheets of ply, you order 4 and charge out 5, and somehow mysteriously you end up with a stack of ply
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:13pm
i was making a wood contianer to ship a trans on friday, i was tearing cause i had to cut into a new sheet
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:23pm

i was making a wood contianer to ship a trans on friday, i was tearing cause i had to cut into a new sheet

It's kinda tough to uncut it isn't it...and all the money on the floor?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 7:03pm
I know i wont be buying marine ply anymore
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 1:16pm
Here's a couple for Eric...sorry Doc, the distributer is still in the back!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 1:18pm
Sorry they look fuzzy, photobucket seems to upgrading but still in progress?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 1:45pm
Looks awesome. Nice casters.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 2:20pm
these ford boys are looking in awe...
btw your cooler is plummed wrong, depending on water in, with heat exchangers or coolers you always run water against oil current, it transfer about 35% more heat,
with the distributor in the back you can hide the wires as they should be,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 2:41pm

these ford boys are looking in awe...

LOL!!!

btw your cooler is plummed wrong, depending on water in, with heat exchangers or coolers you always run water against oil current, it transfer about 35% more heat

Here I am trying to do something nice for you and you pick it apart?!!? LMAO (jk)
I can't think of a better time to fix it than now...glad I posted the pic and thanks! I put it back according to my notes so it must've been backwards for some time. Maybe this is part of why it had to visit the gear spa?!!?

So the output from the trans pump is the 1 on the lower front? To be clear, not the 1 above the output flange?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 2:49pm
if your water comes from the top (my mistake, the in hose runs over the top of the engine) it is plummed correctly, oil out on the trans is above the output flange,
constructive criticism,
nice work
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 3:02pm
Eric, it does come in from the top. It goes from the hull intake fitting right up to a strainer and the output of the strainer plugs right into the top of the hose. In other words, it flows down the cooler. If any of that doesn't sound right, please don't hesitate to bring it up!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 3:04pm
how come i cant see the trans tag?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 3:17pm

how come i cant see the trans tag?

Let's see...I could answer that several ways; but in the spirit of trying to keep up with you, I'll say...for the same reason my warranty document(I say document because it's nice) says 10-18-004! LOLOL

As you've pointed out, it is legible through the paint...still debating whether or not to try chipping it off.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 22>
  Share Topic