Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with Comp Cams

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2004 at 10:25am
Hey Jim in Houston. Did your old 289 engine have the old solid lifter cam?

Do you know the spec's?

I still have the original solid lifter cam and I reduced the intake from 020 to 018 lash and the reduced lift added a lot of pull down low without reduction on the top end. I had read an article that the reduced lift causes the gas to atomize better and swirl.

I think SS201 may be right that the old BARR marine exhaust is probably so restrictive that it masks any top end differences???? I thought I'd lose a few MPH on the top end but did not.

Cam exhaust comments??
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2004 at 8:29pm
No. I have hydraulics. This is the cam recommended to me from Comp Cams:
If you want to check on specs on the cam, look up a part number 31-218-2 on our website.
I'm thinking it may be too much cam - I'm thinking about it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2004 at 12:34am
Jim,
I'm using a very slightly less aggressive spec cam in my '70 Mustang 302 and it runs great. This cam improved power all the way across the power band, adding low end punch and additional higher-rpm power. Mine is a SpeedPro (no idea if they still make this spec or not) but it is a 206-221 degree duration, .444"-452" lift cam. I noticed on the CompCam website that they also have a part no 31-216-2, which is .447" lift, 212 dur stick. Also, for some reason on the cam they recommended, the website states that it's recommended for inboard/outboard uses.?? Keep in mind that a 289-302 needs less cam than a 351 to achieve your same goals. And I guess you told Comp that this is a reverse rot engine. I didn't see it noted on the website specs for this or other cams although obviously they make them.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2004 at 6:40pm
Reid,
If you don't mind,
what is your top RPM, your prop size, and what type of carb are you running? Where did you buy your SpeedPro cam? That cam you purchased appears to be still available. Did you also replace your lifters? Where did you get them?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2004 at 12:13am
Jim,
My top rpm with a 12x14 Federal or 12x13 OJ prop (different designs but same rpm) is 5200. That may seem high but the engine also has other mods (see diary for light blue '70 Mustang), which attribute to the higher rpm. The cam was worth approx 300 over stock. This was the original prop size (12x14), and after testing with more pitch for lowered rpm, this one still provided the best speed and definitely the best pull. My carb is a 600 Holley. I purchased the cam thru my machine shop, where I also purchased the new lifters. They were also a SpeedPro or Clevite part. The machine shop is Carolina's Auto Machine-704-377-4933 (Jeff). He knows me and reverse rotation parts. If you want to buy from him, I would be glad to pick it up and ship it to you if they couldn't. Their prices are very good on most items such as these.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2004 at 8:33am
The production of opposite cams are getting very scarce. The problem is not grinding but there is no one any longer casting the blanks .
Since PCM built the 123 transmison opposite rotation engines are no longer necessary in CC boats. They can change the shaft rotation in the tranny.
The issue of dual vs single pattern cams has always been a personal call. However torque is more important in tow boats unless you are turning over 5250 RPM., torque goes away while HP climbs, depending on the torque range of the cam. Bigger is not always better.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2004 at 8:42pm
Reid, I am going to call Carolina's Auto Machine and see if they can sell me that cam. The only other cam available will be ground for a 351 and I will have to queer up the firing order to make it work - although eveyone reports no problems in doing this I would rather leave the firing order as original if possible. (The existing chromed valve covers have a nice embossed custom plate showing the reverse rotation firing order of the 289 and if I go with a 351 cam the plate will not be correct. Believe it or not these little things are important to me.) (My new GT40P heads just came in and it's time for the cam!!!!) Merry Christmas to all, and to a good night!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2004 at 11:00pm
Jim,
I hope you and everyone else in the Correct Craft owners and fan family have had an incredible holiday season thus far. Our Christmas was great. However, bad news on the cam I gave you the specs for, as it relates to the firing order. It's also a 351 firing order cam unfortunately. And for that matter, almost every 302 4V marine engine after 1970 or so, shared the 351 firing order as a result of Ford universalizing (is that a word?) the parts bins. Many out there with 215-225 HP 302 Fords may have noticed that their engines have 351 heads to go along with the 351 camshaft. If you're not sure, just pop off a valve cover and you'll see the 351 stamp. This was a factory assembly for the marine based 302 4V engines. So do you have a Holman Moody engine, as I know mine have the embossed plates on the chrome valve cover but my 302's have the 351 firing order? My Interceptor 302 just had a decal on the valve cover which I've easily reproduced when I replaced the cam. I believe I have an extra set of HM valve covers with the 351 F.O. plate on them which I could pop off and send to you if you wish. Otherwise, you may be looking at a custom ground $$ cam to keep that firing order. Let me know if we can help you in any way.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2004 at 9:11am
The reason for the firing order change was to take the load off of cranshaft journals. From front to rear or vise versa. The performance remains the same, but the crank longevity may be comprised, judgenment call.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2004 at 5:06am
I think H&M still grind cams. They still list in the Ford Racing Parts Magazine. As I recall the guy's name is Jimmy Tucker and he was around when Parnelli and guy's like him became famous with H&M engines. He also told me he was there when they put an H&M engine in a CC and tested it. He told me the "car" engine torque's force was the same direction as the Driver's weight and the boat planed at an angle. Back then the boats were smaller and narrow across the beam so a car engines rotation was definitely a "deal breaker".

Great guy, you should give him a call and talk about the cam grind. He helped me a lot during my re-build.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2004 at 1:44pm
ReidP, I ordered that cam and lifter set from Jeff at Carolina's Auto. He is going to ship it out next week. Helpful fellow - thanks for the lead. BTW, the cam is advertised by SpeedPro (if my memory serves me correct) as the original firing order for that 289 engine but you are correct, the firing order has been changed, according to Jeff, to match the 351W. Oh well. It's probably best.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2005 at 12:07am
Jim, Good deal. I'm sure Jeff gave you a little crap about the "those backwards engines" as he always does me. Did you ever say which 289 Ford you had, whether it was a H-M or an Interceptor?

64 Skier: Regarding Holman Moody, and since I'm in the Charlotte, NC area and have a HM engine, I naturally went to them first, hoping to get something I could call a factory upgrade cam. I've spoken to Jimmy Tucker also; what a wealth of info- and to Larry Wallace who grinds the cams. Unfortunately though, and from time to time it bites us all, he said he couldn't get the reverse rotation cam blanks/billets anymore.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2005 at 9:51am
I have a 351 Windsor RR cam ground by Crane 18456273, 216 - 228 duration, 484 512 lift.It's one I used but in good shape if anyone needs one. It's torque range is 2000 - 4500, 1.6 rocker arm ratio.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2005 at 12:14am
It's an Interceptor, ReidP.
workky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2005 at 7:02pm
U still have that cam ,SS 201.How much?
Workly View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Workly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2005 at 8:40am

Yes I do, I am out of town right now, E mail me at wburg69@yahoo.com I am at a computer every day.
Bill B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic