NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 82SN in South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2009 at 1:52pm
Eric, that is a pretty impressive calculation.
I have failed to retain that data, but if my cardboard pile and recycling bin are any kind of a representation, I am halfway there at this point. You do count the celebratory session at the end, and, of course, the christening in the Spring, right?
It is possible, I may need to step it up here.

On that note, I need to run to the hardware store, and the LQ, and get back at it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 12:09pm
I did factor in the wife count, thats where you said you only drank 3 but it was really 6, and also factored your buds popping in empty handed and tapping into your supply lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 12:42pm
You are a true visionary. +8
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 2:25pm
I know better, the wife watches me like a hawk, I re-invent "the sneak" all the time, On Christmas Eve, I snuck a little to much with the large size of Crown Royal and a half a bottle of CC, all of her relatives were over and I was pouring heavies. thats called the kitchen pass because you are enteraining her relatives and then she doesnt mind you drinking. alls well and ends well, she cleaned up the bathroom cause i didnt quite reach the toilet....first time in 10 years
lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 6:41pm
^^ why I drink beer only ^^
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 6:50pm
I stick to beer too, I had the "kitchen Pass"
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 8:57am
WakeSlayer:

I collected the boat end July 08 with summer drawing near. We are expecting a daughter end Feb so i took the call to start the resto immediately. The diifculty and delays are that i work in retail so i tend to get home later than most which also includes Saturdays.

I bought a new boat cover (heavy duty) but haven't yet built the carport that covers the boat parking, which means that rain is a huge delay (can't lift cover to wet a brand new set of stringers) and it's rain season.

The progress above is up to date. I managed to shape and laminate the removable floor and struts between the primaries and secondaries as well as glass in the bow bulk head this weekend.

This week i'll do the final glass beading on the bow bulkhead, glass in the struts between primaries and secondaries, clean grind where floor meets hull, shape and laminate struts between secondaries and hull (floor supports)and do the final levelling of the stringers in prep for the floor.

I hope to beging casting foam this weekend as well as begin shaping and laminating the main floor board ahead of the motor.

Although i've kept detailed records of cost i can best guess my time spent as follows:

1) Removing old floor, foam and through hull fittings: 7 hours

2) Cutting out stringers and grinding: 15 hours

3) Shaping and laminating new stringers: 15 hours

4) Glassing in new stringers: 12 hours

5) Swim platform clean up, windshield, clean up, polishing all chrome, rebuild and regrease shifter: 8 hours.

6) Remove old decals and wet sand 1 and 2: 18 hours

Gets me to around 70 hours.

At least another 30 to 40 to go.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 9:04am
WakeSlayer:

I forgot, i'm aiming to complete the floor and interior by the end of Feb. Exterior by end march. Perhaps i've underestimated my time to completion. Also, not too many "refreshments" while a work. A good few beers and rum and coke. Things get sloppy if you get cooked. I've already cut through my grider lead twice and my belt sander has swallowed it's own lead causing quite a scene. Let's just say i'll blame those accidents on the presence of large amounts of white dust.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:25am
comes with the territory, leave the button on the grinder and plug it in, same with the belt sander....you need to grind a big gash in your thigh to make everything official, itch till you bleed
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 10:15am
Did the final levelling of the stringers and cleaned out all the dust and washed down the interior with soap and water last night in preparation to cast foam this weekend.

This week I managed to glass in the bulkheads and struts and do some minor filleting around the flow holes at the rear and centre of the main stringers. I also did the final glassing on all the stringer ends.

I am falling behind with the bow floor section. I'm struggling to find the right air ducting, i also managed to trash my battery box when i cut into the floor so i need to rebuild it or find another one. My day job also has prevented me from finishing the bow floor board.

I'll post more pics when i've made decent progress this weekend........if the rain stays away. Looking ominous outside.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:46pm
Well, this was what the weather held, another weekend of stunted progress:

I couldn't throw the foam so master nautiless and i decided it was time to cut and shape the cross members that support the floor. We also managed to laminate the first coat on these. All indoor work:

I also took a hard look at the driver chair base and decided to strip and regrease the rails and mechanism. I will rebuild it's base later, save it for another rainy day...literally.

We also received our club membership for a local lake. Only 15 members allowed per year...and we're one! Private water, no wind in a secluded Canyon....this keeps me motivated to get this thing done. Here's a pic taken from the club house.

Just a pic of mrs naut's plates for interest:

I'll finish laminating the floor supports and rebuild the drivers seat base as the weather keeps me indoors. Hopefully i can send pics of decent progress soon.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:47pm
Dang....i cocked that post.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 1:00pm
Kewl...i discovered edit!

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 1:40pm
That lake looks great. And only 15 members. Perfect. Is it all skier members?
Sorry the weather is slowing you down. you need a Stall Nautique.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 10:54pm
Naut - That picture of your son with goggles is priceless. You have a great family, a great boat, & smooth water.

What more can a CCFan ask for?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 11:27pm
seems you been busy doing other things too, unless im mistaken it looks like you planted some seeds
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 4:07am
Wake:

Fantastic facilities too. Most of the members are bass fisherman. I've never seen more than 4 boats out. Only one slipway and no developments on it's shores. The shore is also very steep so you can run the full area. All the moorings are in deep water so minimal risk of drive gear damage.

SNob:

Thanks. Things are looking great. We are very blessed.

Eric:

Sure. You aren't mistaken. We're expecting our second on either the 9th or 16th of Feb. Not long from now. We'll be having a daughter. More excitement in my home! The cool weather, although stalling my progress on the boat, has given mrs naut some relief from the heat. We have long hot summers here, you could easily ski unsuited from September through to May. Peak summer temps reach upward of 40 deg C. Winters only cool down to about 16 deg C. We don't ski in winter which some of you up north in the US may see as silly. We feel even a little bit of cold.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 10:06am
I hope its the 9th, cause thats when mine is.
your june and july is cold?
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:58am
Yep. That's our winter, if you want to call it that. We still wear trunks and sandals, a sweater if it's bad. Not sure what a wet suit looks like.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 7:14pm
Eric,

Donovan is upside down. Kinda like the Australians. His toilet flushes the opposite direction of yours and mine.

And yeah, "down" to 16C?   I don't even wear a suit until it gets to that temp here.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

BigBlockFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 4:20am
Hi Nautiless & everybody

Used to be a member of the forum some years back. Helped me a lot doing a few things on my '84 B/N.
Do you know where I can get the rope for the rubrail ? I'm going to Orlando end of the month.

Thanks
"Dawg"
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 5:29am
Hi Big Block:

Nice to see another boerewors, pap, biltong oke here. Although i haven't bought the rope yet i suggest you call Ropecor in Jhb at 011 626 1213. After making some calls i believe that these chaps will be able to sort you out.

Where do you ride? Bronkies, Harties, Roodeplaat or Vaal? I regularly ride at Bronkies as my mate has a place at Clover Hill Club. I know there's a blue/white and a red/black/white BFN there. Was wondering if that's you? Post us some pics of your boat. Also feel free to drop me a mail donerne@gmail.com

Don's Diary

saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 11:00pm
Hello boet
Dis lekker by die see.
We live in NZ now, 5 years.
My secret spot is in a resort with 6 chalets, not all visitors have boats, therefor our last 6 boarding days have been ALONE!! There is only private access.
ho hum. The water is very warm and smooth
If you can't be rich, you gotta be clever!Wonder if I'm either right now.
My 88 2001

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:05am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

seems you been busy doing other things too, unless im mistaken it looks like you planted some seeds

you are priceless eric...I too had noticed but did not want to be to forward to one of our newer friends..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 6:30am
Hi guys

I have a place at the Vaal river.Don't go as much anymore, kids have too many other stuff to do on weekends. I'm going to Bronkies on Saturday to meet up with Andre de Villiers. Getting a new barefoot suit from him. Never been there before,so don't know the place. I'll post some pics. Thanks for the info on the rope. I'll call them now.

Cheers
'84 B/N 454

Footers do "it" for at least a minute.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:46pm
Hey Nautiless

Ropecor stays engaged thew whole time, but I found a 16mm polyester rope from Elephant Lifting here in Centurion. It's a little expensive at R28.50/m but looks great and durable.It has a bit of a silver shine to it too. I'll get some and let you know what it looks like installed.Maybe I can get you some too when you need it?
'84 B/N 454

Footers do "it" for at least a minute.
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 1:37pm
Big Block:

Thanks for the info and offer. I'm not quite ready for the rope yet but will keep you posted. Don't forget to post some pics when you get a chance. Stay on the site....i'd love to arrange a reunion for cc members in SA...perhaps next summer or thereafter.

Saffer:

Nice one boet. Looks like you're quite sorted that side. Is it a threat to your personal safety to shout bokke?

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 1:50pm
Although there hasn't been much progress due to rain i thought i'd post a couple of other pics.

How i keep the project dry:

The closest mrs naut gets to fibre glass:

I have managed to cast some foam though:

But the main reason for lurking only is that as of 15 January 2009 i became a father to a baby girl! Sorry Eric, she wasn't patient enough to wait till 9 Feb.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 2:32pm
I'll be the first to congratulate you, any names yet? the 9th wouldve been nice, but coming out pretty and healthy is nicer

J-Bear, I approached wisely cause i ran into a girl i graduated with and I said wow, your pregnant...she wasnt, too many beers over the year, Im glad i didnt marry that one
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 2:39pm
Congrats on the new family addition. Another Correct Craft Fan..
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
  Share Topic