Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 SN restore in Idaho

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
Author
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 10:00pm
Okay, I'm starting to understand. I thought those fibers were just the glass exposing itself as I ground off the resin, thinking that the glass would go slower than the resin would.

Darn - I was so happy about 15 posts ago when I was "1/2 done" . I tell my self - I love to grind, I love to grind, I love to ......
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 11:30am
Seth,
I happened to be talking to Greg by phone yesterday and the conclusion was I need to go visit my eye doctor for a new set of glasses! Yes, do some more grinding untill you get closer to the matting/cloth in your hull. I went back and looked closer at your pictures and you have spots with quite a lot of resin on top. The resin is simply a glue to hold the fiberglass together. It's the glass that gives the hull strength as the resin is really pretty brittle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 5:56pm
Is this more what we are after???

EDIT: the first one any way. It's so much easier for me to see it here in a photo than on the boat. ME thinks it's a pretty picture here - but a lot of grinding back in reality......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 6:21pm
Seth,
Yes on the first picture. Greg - OK??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 6:40pm
My glasses are in the shop.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 6:44pm
I agree with Pete.
I would think that Seth should be able to lay a nice mat and epoxy mix for the Stringer in that 1st picture.
Will want to lay a well soaked mat under that stinger to eliminate any voids.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 6:47pm
Greg, get those glasses everytime Insurance will pay for a pair.... That way you have a pair at work, in the house, in the garage, and in the shop.
And Eric will thank you for it...
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 7:11pm
You're so bad Roger! LOL

Seth, I think you would have had a good repair before...now you'll have a better one! There's also an OCD quotient to be factored in.

The dust will tend to hide what you're looking at; if you haven't already, give the area a good wipe down with a wet rag. I actually rigged some scrap gutter under mine so I could rinse it out.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 7:27pm
I just went back through the thread...did the stringers have glass under the cradle?

And cool fitting on the front of that port exhaust manifold!
1988 BFN-sold

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 9:26pm
Buffalo - ya they did.

Okay so 5 hrs of grinding and 5 35 grit disks and I have one side of the main (bottom of picture)down to what I think is solid.

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 9:29pm
Oh and are you talking about the elbow in the water line? It came that way to me...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 1:47am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I actually rigged some scrap gutter under mine so I could rinse it out.

Greg,I'm surprised that with the shortage of rain you had when you were doing your boat,that you just didn't take one off the house Up here we just wait until the 2 foot ice dam removes them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 1:14am
More progress. Haven't updated the post for a few weeks but I have made some headway.

Dry fitting

Every thing with CPES
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 1:18am
I now have all the pieces glassed together and put in the primary today.

Have a question, I have glassed the primary to the hull. Should I wait until that is curred to start the fillet? Do I need to wait for a cure at every layer or can I put it all together in the same day. The layers will be bond to hull, fillet, three layers of glass. I've never worked with fiberglass so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 4:51am
Nice work. Keep it up!
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 9:49am
Seth,
Very nice work! I see some of Greg's methods have rubbed off on you with radiusing the edges. It does make it easier to lay up the glass.

No you do not need to wait for each coat of epoxy to cure. Just wait for it to "kick" (set up). Acually, it's better to keep going because with just waiting for the kick, you will get a better bond. The feeling is you get more "chemical" bonding rather than a mechanical bond after the complete cure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 10:02am
Very nice!
1988 BFN-sold

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 8:45pm
nice... keep the pics comming.. what wood did you use..fir? sure looks nice..are you planning to refoam?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 1:59pm
Kapla - thanks.

I used #1 doug fir. I found a local mill that dries their wood to 8% then mills it. That way when it's all layed up it wont shrink and pull away from the glass. It was a lot more expensive than the construction grade stuff but worth it, I feel.

I am planning on refoaming. I know it's a bit controversial but I have a young son and I think that the safety of floatation foam out weights the down sides. We'll see. I'm going to use ply in the front and glass the floor in the back - original.

Cheers
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 5:35pm
^^^
1988 BFN-sold

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 12:01am
Seth, Looking good..
A comment on the foaming.
I poured foam and then tried to cut it down close to the stringers using differnet saws. Could not get a clean cut. Gouged it and had to do some over. The saws bowed.
I found that if I cut it down with the saw to about 1/2 above the stringers and then used my Beltsander to sand down to the stringer tops. I ended up with a nice clean finish with no gaps for water if it ever did find its wasy under the Glass and Floor.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 9:13am
Along with what Roger said, I found a jitterbug to be the tool to get it close. I also used a belt sander, but it doesn't have a full surface bottom and wants to clog. For the final touch-up, use a straight and square 2x4 or the like and glue 60 grit paper to it...makes an excellent screed!
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 9:32am
if?     when
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 9:39am
For leveling longer surfaces, I made two aluminum angles than bolt to the sides of my belt sander flush with the belt surface. Starting with the high spots then you can get down to the level of the stringer tops. The only problem as Greg mentioned you can't get into tight spots. A couple lengths of angle would help.

The 2x4 with the 60 is probably just as fast!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 10:05am
Talk about me over-engineering things?

After I saw how the screed worked to finish up the first side, I used it for most of the other. If the foam is poured in borderline low temps, it would't work so well.
1988 BFN-sold

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 1:18pm
Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement. I'll try to remember the sanding tips for when the time comes. Currently I am only half finished on the stringer part. Got 2" glass tape on both main and secondary on the drivers side yesturday. I have the next nine days off. I think that after I get the 4" glass on the drivers side there will be enough rigidty to the hull to cut out the other side. Hopefully I can accomplish this and get them back in by the end of the month. The weather is starting to turn nice and my wife and I are getting anxious to get on the lake.

Cheers
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 2:02am
How did everything turn out???
Thanks Clark Slaten
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 10:25pm
Well, I ran out of time before the snow hit the ground. I have all the stringers in, but that is it. I should be moving it to a heated garage in Feb and will be able to resume the work. Right now I'm working 90 hr weeks - no time for the restore
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 5:27pm
Well I'm back at it.

All stringers in with CPES, couple of layers of matt, fillet, 2" then 6" then 8" e-glass tape. Still have to finish some of the 8".

Question - Should I do more than one layer of each or do I need to double up on the 6" and 8". Plan on final one or two layers of Biaxial on mains.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 5:34pm
Looks nice. I bedded the first main on my 82 today. Does not look as nice as yours yet, but I think it will look much better when the fillets are in.

I plan to use single layer of 2,4, 8 tape. Couple of layers over the top. FWIW.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
  Share Topic