NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Respirator 101

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 1:51pm
My mask has 3M 6001 Niosh organic vapor cartridges.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 2:09pm
Chill, Keegan. Tom's contribution wasnt off the wall.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 2:49pm
Chill, Tim.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 3:36pm
boy what a waist,

get a damn face shield and a surgical mask and go to town, If you didn't use a saw to cut it down close to the hull as in almost flush, then your spending way to much time grinding when you should have been cutting it out to start with.

Pnuematic = air

Also the hull will drain if you start grinding the cross members first from the rear towards the bow, notice the nice big gapping hole at the end of the main stringers and the huge hole where the rudder goes, guess it's too small and will get clogged from all the fine glass particals your grinding off.

Work smarter not harder and paranoid .02
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 6:26pm
First off I apologize to the community for going off, but GottaSki started the offensive when he said I can't read for sh!t. Maybe he is a funny guy and if I knew him I might not get offended. But I don't know him and he does not know me, and that was offensive. He hijacked this thread with the first response being about pneumatic grinding under a garden hose. No mention of PPE at all. No appolgy to GottaSki for calling me out and hijacking this thread and taking it to the dark side.

79- I have been reading for a month on how to restring my boat. The best practices that the members of this site have set in place are remarkable. I have read many of your posts and you have great knowledge, but I don't appreciate your smart ass comment here either. I am cutting my stringers flush with the hull using a diamond wheel on a grinder. There is very little dust and my first stringer came out yesterday with the one cut along the base almost under the wood. I am a 33 year old father of 3 children and I intend to be around to take their children out in this boat. That is why I wanted to know the best practice for PPE while doing this project. ALL I WANTED TO KNOW IS WHAT FILTER TO USE SO THAT I AM PROTECTED FROM THE DUST. Your vote is a face shield and a dust mask. Thank you for answering the question.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 6:51pm
Did I miss something here?

Doesn't "You guys" mean more than one person? isn't that what the "s" at the end of guys implies? or am I wrong and it means Keegan? help me out please I'm off my comprehension today?

Really you need to lighten up... there where several other reply's in between gotta ski's two responces and by no means did I see it as a personal attack on you.

Everyone has there own way of doing things and sometimes it takes time to figure out the best way of doing things. I know the stringers and cross supports can be removed very quickly given the right tools and know how. Everyone here pokes a little fun at each other so take it easy they are only trying to pass on what they have all ready learned from past experiences that you are just now going through. Work smarter not harder, cut out all the cross braces and the main stringer on one side then grind it all down, install the the new main and then go to the other side. Some have cut out both at the same time others do it one side at a time to have refernce to go by it all depends how far gone it is. But get a sawzall with a long blade cut the braces and stringer as close to the hull as you can then grind it the rest of the way, your the first guy I've seen that has suited up the way you have to do this repair, it's one thing breathing in fumes but it does't require the same protection to grind out the fiberglass. just my .02   
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 7:54pm
Sorry I am still a bit hot and venting. I have read the method you describe using a sawzall. I have also read a lot of threads about how bad people itch after this kind of work, and putting baby powder on beforehand, and taping up sleeves and using multiple layers of glue to pull glass out of your hands. and how if you get it in your eye you can use a Q-tip dipped in vaseline to remove glass particles from your eye, and I have seen pictures of people wearing the same stuff I am, right here on this site. I worked in the restoration industry for years(like Eric's Serv-Pro) and took several courses on PPE pertaining mostly to body clean up(I worked Katrina), mold and and asbestos and we used the same masks Eric described for all of that. Never worked with any fiberglass there that was not insulation, and an N95 mask was appropriate PPE as was a tyvek cover-all for that material unless you like to itch and want to bring that back home to your family. It may not kill you right away but it is unpleasant stuff and to recommend to the general public to dig right in without careful evaluation of the risk factors is not good practice. I know you old timers used to do all kinds of crazy stuff and are still around to tell the tale. That does not make it right. We don't use the same materials to rebuild the boats because they were flawed and you found a better way. Maybe some of the old ways of protecting one's self could also be improved.

Until otherwise proved that this is overkill I will continue to use an N-99 or N-100 filter on my half face respirator while I am cutting or grinding but would use a full face if I owned one. Hell I would use that $462 machine if I had one. I am also a huge advocate of tyvek coveralls(generic brands work just as well) and gloves. You can call me a sissy if you want to, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

OK I am all cooled off.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 10:05am
hey, i took offense to old timers, the better word is "wise ones" lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 10:11am
at times after the fumes and a 12er, I caught myself grinding in my underwear
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 11:27am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I caught myself grinding in my underwear

Attn. Hollywood, new sig cleanup in aisle 2!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 1:13pm

at 12, I caught myself grinding in my underwear

This "wise one" started at a young age!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 1:36pm
I think you need to worry more about your short fuse and heart attacks than inhaling toxic fiberglass. It all goes back to how and what tools you use. Guess I screwed up not wearing all that gear when I made the bar, love seat and banner out of a 80 hull, took a little over a half hour to cut them apart. Was a huge cloud of dust about an 1" away from the blade and everyone stood right there as close as they could get. What where we thinking DOOOOH our bad.

If your flinging stuff everywhere because of your methodology then maybe you better suit up and protect that sensitive skin. Or maybe choose a different method that doesn't create all the dust. It's all in the approach and how they are apply. Me, I would be using pnuematic die grinder and a cut wheel w/water, a sawzall and a few other tricks that doesn't create all the dust your so worried about killing you.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 2:20pm
To each his own. I have done all my work thus far based on CCF recommendations as I had zero experience with this kind of work before I started restoring my 73 skier. You have contributed to my main "stringer thread" several times and have been very helpful and constructive over there. I value your knowledge and opinion, I just don't see why so much resistance to PPE. Emotionally charged resistance at that. Guilt maybe that you let everyone stand around and breath that stuff?

Yes you did get a rise out of me and that was unproductive- again I apologize for that. What I will not apologize for is bringing PPE and the dangers of fiberglass to the attention of the users on this site. If you can cut this stuff so clean that you are at zero risk than so be it- you are the man.

Most of us on this site are just average Joes who do not do this for a living and may not have access to all the cool toys you have. I am a web designer, not a mechanic. I can make my computer do things you have never even dreamed of yet, and on the flip side you know things about engines and boats that I could not even imagine. That is why us Joes are here- to learn from you. But maybe, just maybe, if you step down off of your Grand Poobah pedestal and listen, you could learn something from us too. Its not inconceivable.

79- If you feel the need to beat me up one more time to get your last word in. Feel free. I am done with this banter. It is not helping the CCF community learn how to protect themselves from fiberglass. I respect you and hope we can agree to disagree but I don't want to argue this point here on CCF anymore.

Peace

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

at 12, I caught myself grinding in my underwear

This "wise one" started at a young age!

Thanks Hollywood- This thread needed to lighten up. Sorry guys!

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Guilt maybe that you let everyone stand around and breath that stuff?
Not one bit, no one was ever in any danger of anything harmful since they would have had to have their face next to the blade to inhale the fiberglass. Guess if I would have used a method that made a cloud of dust, I would have stopped, but since it only went a couple inches away from the blade we didn't have to worry about any health issues that required PPE

I can make my computer do things you have never even dreamed of yet, and on the flip side you know things about engines and boats that I could not even imagine. That is why us Joes are here- to learn from you. But maybe, just maybe, if you step down off of your Grand Poobah pedestal and listen, you could learn something from us too. Its not inconceivable.

Considering I've been getting paid to sit in front and operate a computer for 25 plus years I doubt You'll be able to empress me with anything new but you never know. You where how old in 1984?

All's good It's fine your bringing to everyones attention the potential hazzards that can arise from using risky methodologies and that proper PPE should be used if you choose those types of methods we're all better informed now.

But us old timers are slow to learn new tricks or is it us old timers use less risky methods to minimize the risk like using water to control airborn hazzards while performing hazzardous tasks such as grinding fiberglass.

Everyone has their own safty level they are comfortable with some may feel it's over kill while others may think it's not enough. Others are afraid to touch a bathroom handle for fear of getting germs, others run and get flu shots because they're scared if they don't they'll get sick. While some may look at as a means to boost their immune system by being exposed to the dangers and having their body create and carry the antibodies needed to fight the bacteria and infections naturally. Everyone is different and have different opinions.

I've spent a few day's in a garage turning wrenches, spent a few days in cadavar labs helping doctors make surgery's easier and less evasive. I've spent a few days in front of a computer designing products used around the world, you never know what or who you'll find in an open forum like this so it's a little foolish to assume they are only knowledgable about one topic.

But really Chill a little all's good in CCF land.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 3:59pm
You make many valid points. I was 8 years old in 1984 and I do not get flu shots. LOL I am chill I just do not agree with you about the dangers of fiberglass. Maybe others can weigh our argument for themselves and make the decision that best fits their situation. It reads better than reality TV! Can we hug and make up now?

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 5:15pm
It's all good. I agree it can be a danger in certain instances and PPE should be used but at other times using differnt methods the risk is greatly reduced and the need for PPE is not really warrented. Now if your laying up epoxy in the garage without an exhaust fan or even with one for that matter then if your not waring the proper PPE you might not come out with the same number of brain cells you did going in.

But hey just remember to check and turn off the power tools before you flip the breaker to reset it you got luck and don't let that grinding wheel get too close to your body if you catch an edge and it kicks that tyvek suit's not going to stop your leg or anything else from bleeding one member found that out the hard way.

P.S. I wish you could teach the other members how you post pictures because i can actually see them at work. Where I work the majorty of them get filtered out but yours don't. Take your time and ask questions just don't get bent out of shape if someone yanks your chain they're just messing around having fun it happens here all of the time.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

...... spent a few days in cadavar labs helping doctors make surgery's easier and less evasive. ....

Chris,

Seeing that you were located in Indiana, and then seeing this, would you happen to have worked up in the prosthetic capital of the world (Warsaw, IN)? My sister works up there in a tool design group.

Lots of lakes up that way, and they all seem to be super busy.

Don't jump me Keegan...minor threadjack
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 6:31pm
I got lucky with that grinder incident! As for the pictures that is where I have a tool and knowledge most people don't- Photoshop and a sony 10.3 mp camera. Getting ready to upgrade to the latest CS4 extended version that includes video editing. Costs $1000 and the camera was about that too, but that is how I make a living so I have to have it. That is why I am trying to get by with the tools I have for my restoration. Unfortunately I don't have access to a compressor as I have heard the tools are way better, and cheaper, but I have everything else I need to get er done... well maybe.

Tomorrow I am removing my first main stringer. I did not have room on the secondary to get a sawzall under it so I used the grinder. I plan to use the sawzall for the main. Do I start at the gap at the transom and work towards the front? I think I read to use a 12 inch blade for flex? Any preference on the type of blade? Just for shiggles and giggles, has anyone ever tried a flush cut saw? I bought one to remodel my kitchen and am never going to use it again. Probably would have worked like a champ around the edge of the floor. Making buckets of dust!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Don't jump me Keegan...minor threadjack

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude my thread man

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 10:00pm
79 any boob grabs in the morgue?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 11:15pm
My dad said that his cadaver in gross anatomy was a big fat guy who leaked oil so they nicknamed him mazola! He had died from a gunshot to the neck.

Eric you must have gone years without wearing PPE cause you crazy

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 9:43am
real men have grinding gouges across thier thigh,
Kee, i dont see any hurt in it if the body is still warm lol
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 9:50am
Eric.

I know you are right about work war wonuds. I left some of my finger, blood , and pride in the hull of my 88 early on.

I wanted agressive tools, and they are agressive on the wrong items..

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 10:01am
I still have a big grinder from the 70's it takes about 30 seconds to get to full power, and 30 seconds to stop its a BMFR, you dont want to get in its way, it really scares the sht out of me when i use it
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 1:52am
Hey I used a fraekin dust mask. It worked fine. Just put water in the area you are working on and get to work. With all the research you have done on here you could have been half way there.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 2:44am
Yer right Clark what was I thinking doin all that readin? I diagnosed my stringer problem on January 11th with the boat in full working order and I am only to here so far. Next thing you know I'll be doin rithmatic.

1973 Skier
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 5:35am
I did the same thing. My boat ran fine sounded great and the I found one very small soft spot under my feet when I was driving. I went home "after several beers" and cut the damn floor out. Now I'm in for a complete stringer rebuild.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 9:42am
now is the point where you say to yourself "why did it rot and what will prevent rot in the future"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic