Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeffs 1988 BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Where did you get your D-Fir?
Kirk

Kirt,
If all else fails, try LL Johnson in Charlotte Mi.. They have the timbers and will resaw/surface plane for you.

Yes Johnsons work bench.They had 2"x6" 20'.But I was able to get both my stringers out of 1 board plus my center/keel stringer.
$165.00 if I rember correctly that was over the holidays.Plus they have marine plywood ect.
Jeff
They will deliver to Grand Rapids for $20.00
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 8:33pm
I'm familiar with L.L. They had a Grand Rapids store but it closed last summer. If your into woodworking your like a kid in a candy store there. I know they are top dollar, That's why I was wondering if you had another source?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 9:46pm

I'm familiar with L.L. They had a Grand Rapids store but it closed last summer. If your into woodworking your like a kid in a candy store there. I know they are top dollar, That's why I was wondering if you had another source?

The store closed but they still deliver to G.R. I think its Wood Source?east end of 28th Streetbetween East Paris and Patterson .The price I felt was far clear,tight no knots.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 9:59pm
Doc
Where in Michigan do you reside? Sounds like you are near GRap.

Jeff
Did not notice that in the pic on FB, you WERE working on your boat. Good man.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Doc
Where in Michigan do you reside? Sounds like you are near GRap.

Jeff
Did not notice that in the pic on FB, you WERE working on your boat. Good man.

Yup its at the top of the list.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 3:22am
I'm in Richland (Gull Lake)
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 11:51am
I want to fair out my bilge do I have to grind every last bit of gelcote or will the epoxy go over the top.

And any sugestions on my screw up

It is a about a 4" crack including the hole.

I was gong to do a lay up on the inside then v/tapper out the outside build it up and glass.Is there any reason not to start on the inside first?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 1:09pm

Been to Gull Lake a few times, been a while, IIRC local dealer was Ski Unique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 1:26pm
Jeff,
You have the correct idea on the goofup. Yes, lay in the glass on the inside and gel fill the outside after Ving it out. This is the only place I recommend using polyester resin.

Looking at the pictures, it does look like you've ground down the bilge coating enough. You just do not want to bond the new to the gel bilge coating and be as close to the glass in the hull as possible. The glass is the strength in a FRP and the resin is pretty much just the "glue".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 1:52pm
Pete do you mean for the inside patch?
Or both inside and out?
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 1:55pm
I also found screw holes were the PO was re mounting a seat base and ran them out the bottom . They fixde with caulk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 2:00pm
Jeff,
Yes, the inside patch over the gouge, is where you want to use the polyester. Keep in mind the gel is poly and won't stick to the epoxy. If the gouge is real deep, you can add some cabosil to the poly resin and fill the bottom before you do the gel. Tape up the outside so you don't have resin running down the hull. I'd use 3M fine line tape. It's a poly tape and won't let anything past it. Let the patch set up and then do the V'ing. I'd use 3 layers of glass on the patch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by BFNSport BFNSport wrote:

I also found screw holes were the PO was re mounting a seat base and ran them out the bottom . They fixde with caulk
That's not as bad as the member several years ago who wanted to add drain holes in his battery box. He didn't realize the bottom of the box was actually the hull. He did find out after he drilled his first hole!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 2:33pm

That's not as bad as the member several years ago who wanted to add drain holes in his battery box. He didn't realize the bottom of the box was actually the hull. He did find out after he drilled his first hole!

I could see myhself doing something like that.I cant say much I was having so much fun grinding...LOL

Thanks Pete
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 1:42am
A few more questions.My boat was over 50% gutted when I started and Im not sure what the floor was like.I just read the pumpkinpatch again and it sounds like 3/4 ply I like how Gregs turned out ,was that a factory reproduction or was all the ply of Gregs design? I did cut out under the dash forward and don t recall any ply floor.
Jeff
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 2:37am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Been to Gull Lake a few times, been a while, IIRC local dealer was Ski Unique

They went out of business    They had a great mechanic.   (Gull lake Marine) bought their inventory. So the mechanic went there. Last summer he was killed on his motorcycle.
Gull lake is the deepest lake in lower Michigan.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 11:56am
Jeff, when you go to repairing the goof cut your repair plys in rounded rectangles or circles making sure each ply has about 1/2" overlap over the prior one. Make the first ply slightly larger than the damage. Lay the smallest down first when you are ready to install it and work your way up to the largest ply.

If you have corners in your plies they will have more of a tendancy to lift up and secondly more stress is concentrated on corners. Rounding your repairs distributes load stresses more evenly and they lay down nicely. Making each ply bigger than the other makes for a stronger repair as you have 3 layers of glass bonded to the hull instead of just "one" thick one.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Jeff, when you go to repairing the goof cut your repair plys in rounded rectangles or circles making sure each ply has about 1/2" overlap over the prior one. Make the first ply slightly larger than the damage. Lay the smallest down first when you are ready to install it and work your way up to the largest ply.

If you have corners in your plies they will have more of a tendancy to lift up and secondly more stress is concentrated on corners. Rounding your repairs distributes load stresses more evenly and they lay down nicely. Making each ply bigger than the other makes for a stronger repair as you have 3 layers of glass bonded to the hull instead of just "one" thick one.

Thanks Morfoot
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 11:12pm
Luv that stand, but this concerns me a little...

I was able to get both my stringers out of 1 board
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 11:13pm
Well I have just been convinced epoxy is the way to go I just removed several pounds of glass and never touched a grinder
Here is my bilge that I thought I was done grinding and thought I could glass my stringers down.
Before

After

And the rudder port.Loooks like a bad repair.
Glad I dug more.

Looks like peanut brittle ,is this wood flour that I have been reading about?
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Luv that stand, but this concerns me a little...

I was able to get both my stringers out of 1 board

Whys that Greg the ?..stand.I have a rachet strap going all the way around the transom.

Did you get my e-mail in regards to contact info.
Jeff
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 11:23pm
I really like the stand/cradle. My concern is that you got 2 mains out of 1 2x6.

No, I didn't get the contact info. I'll look for it if you re-send. Sorry I missed it.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I really like the stand/cradle. My concern is that you got 2 mains out of 1 2x6.

No, I didn't get the contact info. I'll look for it if you re-send. Sorry I missed it.

What would be the problm It was over sized laid the old stringers on the plank traced them out and cut.It was 18-20'long I think
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 4:04pm
So is there a stopping point...LOL
Is this peeling apart because I have ground the top layer off? Or is this delaminating in the worst case?
Or should I have ground this far in the first place?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 4:15pm
We removed all glass that was used to attach the original stringers. That was no small task. Lots of work with the grinder, as well as flat bars to get it to peel up. In a few sections, more came up than we intended- we got hull glass up unintentionally. Might have been poor lamination or overzealous desctruction... or maybe a bit of both. We were sure to replace the hull glass in these sections (and then some).

Stringers out, but glass still in:

All stringer glass out:

You can see where we took too much glass off in the foreground of the last picture, just to the right of the keel.

Id say youre into the hull glass now. If its coming up easy, then take it off and be sure to replace it. If you can get to a spot where it comes off pretty hard, then grind the transition smooth and leave it.
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 4:23pm
Thanks TRBenj for the quick response.That was my hunch that I need to keep going.The wood around the exhaust ports was ok/a little soft but pryed out the center piecs will not budge and looks good ,OK to leave?
JMD
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 5:41pm
Jeff,
You said the wood around the exhaust was OK but soft. I wouldn't take the chance on it and suggest you put new in. You're way into the hull anyway!!

I agree with Tim and it does look like you have some delam in the hull. Just as he mentioned, get the loose stuff up and replace it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 7:03pm

Jeff,
You said the wood around the exhaust was OK but soft. I wouldn't take the chance on it and suggest you put new in. You're way into the hull anyway!!

I agree with Tim and it does look like you have some delam in the hull. Just as he mentioned, get the loose stuff up and replace it.

Pete,
I did remove the soft wood around the exhaust ports popped right out. My question was the center board in the middle of the transom (between the exhaust ports )that attaches to the lifting eye is dry and would not budge I would like to leave it in place. CPECS it and re-glass?
I spoke with US Composites today and I’m told I can use there thin 635 laminating epoxy for my CPES is that good info trying to order from one place.
Sorry have to be careful using my phone when replying to post.
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 7:12pm
Tim, Pete
What if any precautions did you take with the bottom of your hull while working on it? In your picture it looks close to the current state that mine is in. Is the 3 point stand still a viable solution when the hull is getting this “thin” it is very loose/flexible if that make any sense. I will be adding 2 more supports to the front under the windshield chine area, similar idea to what Greg did when he left it on the trailer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 7:43pm

What if any precautions did you take with the bottom of your hull while working on it?

We braced our BFN at the chine right near the windshield, and again at the transom. We also blocked the keel in 2 or 3 places. Once supported, we brought the trailer up to the hull as a brace, though it didnt really hold much (if any) weight- it was there to prevent flexing. Id repost my picture, but Im not allowed!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic