Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 Fuel Water Separator

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 11:59pm
Hey,

I think it is the middle one or ones on top. The bottom would be to drain the water. It has been a while since I have taken mine off.

Clew In
Clew In
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 10:55am
Same as mine remove the top center bolt and the canister will drop down.
Inside there is a folded paper filter like this.

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 7:33pm
From the PCM service manual:

I guess they figure it's "intuitively obvious"
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Vancouver Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancouver Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 5:42pm
Which one is the retaining screw?
Matthew
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Vancouver Matt Vancouver Matt wrote:

Which one is the retaining screw?
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

remove the top center bolt and the canister will drop down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2010 at 3:32pm
Final Verdict:

It screws off. Mine might be different than some of yours, remember I've got a PCM 454 in my boat. The filter is a Fram CCS1136. It's a 5 minute job if you have the right tools...weeks if you do not :) Finally got it open w/a vice and a pipe wrench. The two plugs are top are only about a 1/2 in long and are for bleeding the line.

Didn't fix my hesitation problem though :( Oh well, on to the fuel pump and the carb.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 3:54pm
The Napa filter comes with a drawing of the canister and tells you what's what. If you're not in a hurry, though, Napa ia about twice as much as Skidim.com.
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 7:25pm
Hey,

Can you post a copy of the canister and the correct position of the gaskets and spring. The filter from DIM has three gaskets and I would like to know the correct place for the two that go inside the canister.

Thanks,

Clew In
Clew In
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 2:08pm
I am resurrecting this thread because of a failed ski outing yesterday, to thank you all and CCF for helping with another boat problem, and to say hello again after a very long absence.

Why have I been gone so long? My level of busy at work has been barely manageable over the past 3-4 years. The kids and I are still skiing, but I have not been keeping up with the forum, or traveling to CCF events. I want you to know that I have missed you all and think about you often.

Thanks Morfoot for the parts number. I hope all is well with you.

So, on to the story.

After having plugs and wires, as well as the steering cable replaced in the 89 SN, I got the family on the boat yesterday to do some skiing. Sadly, having just gotten the boat back this past Friday, it was our first time out this year.

The boat started fine, but about 1/4 mile from the dock, while getting on plane, the motor dies. Waiting a few minutes, the boat started, but died again. It seemed obvious that it was not getting enough fuel. I called the inboard mechanic, what gives? He says that the boat lake tested fine this past Friday. He asked about the fuel/water separator and filter. I reply, "Ummm, about that..."

The kids, year round swimmers, are getting big, they pushed the boat back to the dock kicking from the swim platform. The skipper (term used loosely) of the Grady White 500 yards away did not offer offer to help, even though I am pretty sure he saw the motor box open and the kids swimming.

I am truly embarrassed to say that I have not had the fuel separator apart, ever. It was quietly doing its thing until this past Sunday. Why I should think oil filters need replacing and fuel filters don't, I don't know. In fact, this is not the first time I have had a fuel filter problem in a boat, but that was many, many years ago.

So, as shown in other posts on page one of this thread, the filter if forward of the motor, hanging from a bracket that is lag bolted into the stringer.

The filter is inside a shell that screws on like an oil filter. I had to disconnect the fuel lines and take the whole thing out and screw the mounting bracket to a work bench to get the shell off using a big wrench on the hex nut shape at the bottom. I cleaned the shell out. The gas in the separator was dirty, and likely had a little water underneath. The filter is ancient. Clearly too long since it has been changed. A new filter is on order (Wix part number 33436). I figure the 1.5 hours road trip shook the dirt and water up causing the failure. We will see what happens when the new filter arrive. Regardless, lesson learned. I will be sure to add regular check and maintenance of the separator with replacement of the filter to the usual oil and impeller changes.

89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic