NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Source of water

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

ten bucks it's the packing glands and all he has to do is pull the drain, let it dry out, intall the drain plug and lower into water and watch where the water leaks. This is almost comical some of the BS do this don't do that, please this is so simple to figure out it almost not worth commenting on, especially with all the shade tree clowns commenting.

Yeah thats what everyone told me this spring. 20 + hours and 10 square feet of delamed fiberglass later I had it fixed. Lost some of its comic value.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

ten bucks it's the packing glands and all he has to do is pull the drain, let it dry out, intall the drain plug and lower into water and watch where the water leaks. This is almost comical some of the BS do this don't do that, please this is so simple to figure out it almost not worth commenting on, especially with all the shade tree clowns commenting.

Yeah thats what everyone told me this spring. 20 + hours and 10 square feet of delamed fiberglass later I had it fixed. Lost some of its comic value.

not my fault you don't know what delaminated fiberglass looks or feels like. It just amazes me how people overlook the simple stuff then try and compound the matter trying to figure out were the leak is. It's pretty straight forward to figure out, drain and dry the bilge area, remove the floor panel in the rear, lower the boat into the water and watch were the water leaks real tough sitting there drinking a coldie and watching for a stream of water to appear somewhere. This takes a real long time to get to the bottom of it. whats that saying work smarter than harder,.... guess it's work harderd and dumber for a vast majority around here lately.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 5:47pm

not my fault you don't know what delaminated fiberglass looks or feels like. It just amazes me how people overlook the simple stuff then try and compound the matter trying to figure out were the leak is. It's pretty straight forward to figure out, drain and dry the bilge area, remove the floor panel in the rear, lower the boat into the water and watch were the water leaks real tough sitting there drinking a coldie and watching for a stream of water to appear somewhere. This takes a real long time to get to the bottom of it. whats that saying work smarter than harder,.... guess it's work harderd and dumber for a vast majority around here lately.

But Chris I am just a shade tree clown who relies on self proclaimed know it alls for answers. In this case the self proclaimed know it all says just check the shaft log. No advice on what delaminated glass looks and feels like. Can't have it both wys. It is your fault by default.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 5:58pm
Dave,
For a "shade tree clown", I feel you did great!! Besides, in your case, it was a tough call as to whether the leak was from a bad exhaust hose between the stringers or as it turned out the delamination. Didn't Chris think it was a bad hose??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 2:36am
Thanks for the support Pete.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dave,
For a "shade tree clown", I feel you did great!! Besides, in your case, it was a tough call as to whether the leak was from a bad exhaust hose between the stringers or as it turned out the delamination. Didn't Chris think it was a bad hose??

Actually I never made a comment about his problem, to me if you can't find a water leak then you have no business being in a boat.

I find it stupid to be asking questions were to find a water leak, it is so simple to find, but then if you don't pay attention to detail and cannot tell the difference in the way the fiberglass looks in the bottom of the boat and feel around suspect area's I'm sorry about you. And then if you are not smart enough to figure out if you dry out the boat, put it back in the water and watch were the water is coming from you just might find the source of the leak, but hell that's rocket science and overyourhead appearently.

Water flows down hill all you have to do is follow it up hill to find the leak, Childs play in my book.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 2:27pm

Actually I never made a comment about his problem,

Chris,
You did comment but I made the mistake of saying it was regarding the exhaust hose when you actually mentioned the packing glands.

Dave did follow all of the sound recommendations in looking for the leaks. It's in another post that possibly you missed. In the water and out. It was actually detected by putting water in the boat and seeing where it came out. It really was a tough call because water was coming out the weep hole in the main stringer which typically would point to a bad exhaust hose.

not my fault you don't know what delaminated fiberglass looks or feels like.

The area of delamination is thick around the log so just pushing on the glass, it may not flex to the point where a person could easily detent the delamination problem.

PS: You want Dave's mailing address so you can send him the $10?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 3:19pm
Pete I MADE NO COMMENTS REGARDING DAVE"S ISSUE in finding his water leak, yes I have commented on this thread which Dave did not start, SO get the FACTS straight.

point is it's not hard to find the leak, now if I would have been commenting on Dave problems which I didn't, If it was me I would have checked several things that he did not and found the leak fairly quickly. Again water flows down hill not up hill so it really not that hard to trace it back to the source and use common scense and logic to solve the problem and find the leak.

So AGAIN I SUGGEST THAT THE BILGE AREA BE COMPLETELY DRAINED AND DRIED AND THE BOAT DROPPED BACK INTO THE WATER, ENJOY A COLD POP WHILE YOU WAIT FOR THE WATER TO APPEAR. PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD AND EASY TO DO FOR ABOUT ANYONE. PS remove the floor panels so that you can see were the water is coming from, SIMPLE CHILDS PLAY CRAP IMHO.

Put if you want to complicate crap go ahead go right ahead. If you can't find the source of a water leak within minutes then you have no business owning a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 3:43pm

Pete I MADE NO COMMENTS REGARDING DAVE"S ISSUE in finding his water leak, yes I have commented on this thread which Dave did not start, SO get the FACTS straight.

Chris,
Sorry, You are correct that I got Dave and Mark mixed up in this thread. Ok, I'll send Mark the $10 when we find out what the leak is!! Then you can have a cold one on me!!

BTW, I'll safely say it stuffing boxes too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 4:10pm

Chris,
Sorry, You are correct that I got Dave and Mark mixed up in this thread. Ok, I'll send Mark the $10 when we find out what the leak is!! Then you can have a cold one on me!!

BTW, I'll safely say it stuffing boxes too.

I agree, start with the simple most common places then logicly move to other area's where the leak can occur from.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 4:18pm
What if we're all wrong?

What if it turns out to be frozen and broken Airguide ballast tubes?

AT
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 4:23pm
Oh, and Mark, you can't just sit there and wait for a leak to appear.
You have to get down on your hands and knees and go hunting.
And even tho it's broad daylight, a flashlight is helpful.

Good luck!

AT
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 4:37pm
Mine leaked once from the through bolts of the strut...you wiped and you could see the stream of water comming from below the alum base were tose are bolted....After sealing with SILICONE LOL never leaked again from there.....

But now I wouldn´t use silicone, 5200 or 4200 are the way to go..or polyurethane based sealants...
Another leak I had was on the union between top deck and hull...on curves water made its way and you could see the carpet getting wet in the inside...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 5:22pm
My right side Airglide/guide sp? does not work. So whats up with that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 5:40pm
Mark,
It's just another item you need to investigate. If the pitot tubing or the pulsation ballast tube have any leaks in them you will get water in the boat. The pitot on the transom creates pressure when it moves through the water. This then creates air pressure up to the speedos. If there is a break/leak anywhere, then you get the water. Ballast tubes are mounted behind the gas tank on the transom.

BTW, we need to get you to use some boating terms. The right side of the boat is the starboard side!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 5:58pm
check the boat for leaks as it is stationary and turned off, eliminate those, then start it and look for hoses leaking, next drive it and find the leaks. Loose packing glands will leak just seating there, exhaust and pick-up hose will leak seating stationary with the engine runing, Packing glands will also leak underway with the boat moving as well as the speedometer's tubing and ballast tubes.

So there are several stages that you need to check and in that order, stationary boat off, stationary engine running, then while under power. Take your time you'll find them all. With as much water as your getting you most likely have more than one source of water entering the bilge just start each stage with a dry bilge and you will find the leaks.
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 6:18pm

Mark,
It's just another item you need to investigate. If the pitot tubing or the pulsation ballast tube have any leaks in them you will get water in the boat. The pitot on the transom creates pressure when it moves through the water. This then creates air pressure up to the speedos. If there is a break/leak anywhere, then you get the water. Ballast tubes are mounted behind the gas tank on the transom.

BTW, we need to get you to use some boating terms. The right side of the boat is the starboard side!   

Yea, I know better, just lost my head. Known since I was a kid. I will try to do better. M
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 8:47pm

Again water flows down hill not up hill so it really not that hard to trace it back to the source and use common scense and logic to solve the problem and find the leak.

Mine flowed from the shaftlog to the stringer when in the water. I believe that is uphill I believe you forgotr to factor in pressure.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 8:51pm

Again water flows down hill not up hill so it really not that hard to trace it back to the source and use common scense and logic to solve the problem and find the leak.

Mine flowed from the shaftlog to the stringer when in the water. I believe that is uphill

Naw, That what happens with the Australian group. Or wait a minute, maybe it's something about their toilets??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 9:20pm

One last shot. Mine Came in the shaft log and flowed out the stringer. Uphill in my book. You forgot to factor in pressure.

Sorry I Kind of hijacked this thread but my intended points were these.

1. I want a long list possible problems to look for, first so I do not go to the lake and find out it is not the shaft log and then return home for the next post only to return to the lake again to look at the rudder/through hull fittings ect. And also the more that is discussed the more I learn. I am not an idustry expert but hope to someday be a wise poobah with increased experience and the help of this site.

2.This is a discussion forum, why discourage discussion? If it offends you dont read it. Accurate advice is seldom backed up with reasoning, leaving little to work with when contemplating future situations , but bad advice leads to argeuing and explanations of reasoning and far greater learning potential.

3. I am just a user of this site and not in a position to judge others fitness to contribute. I can challange their input but not judge their worthiness to post. If I could make that judgment I would ban arrogent / discouraging members who put the poo in poobah. Good teachers have knowlege AND the ability to foster others to want to listen and learn.

4. The most common reason for water in the bilge is forgeting to put the plug in .

5. I can find the source of most water leaks in minutes. It is almost always the lake. Can I keep my boat?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 11:44am
water escapes from some point, obviuosly water flows up underpressure, put once it reaches the same height as the pressure head, then it flows down hill or stops if it's still trapped or leaks out if it is allowed to escape an opening before it reaches the leveling point. So water leaking out of a crack has a starting point just like every leak does, so find where the water starts you find the leak, if it looks like it's coming straight out of the fiberglass then you have to probe around some, not rocket science, simple physics, fluid dynamics 101. Some just like to make it harder and dumber sometimes.
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 10:28pm
Hi All

I have a 95SN its my second summer as owner.

I also have water coming from an unidentified location . I followed the above threads ( great conversation) and have isolated it to somewhere from the 3 fins. The water seems to come up in the area in front of the ski rope pylon under the deck. See the picture.   I took the boat out of the water and checked the fins looks like it had been resealed before. what is the best procedure for this repair. If I unscrew the fins will I be able to screw them back easily? does the screw go into a receptacle or is it directly into the fiberglass. any advise would help. thanks

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 10:53pm
Daniel,
If there was a problem with the skegs and you see evidence of a attempted reseal that didn't work, I'd have to say to was just a "slop on some silicone"    from the outside job. Remove the skegs and grind/sand off any remnants of sealer. Clean the surfaces up with some acetone or other strong solvent and then bed them back down with some 5200. The screws should go directly into glass. (use some 5200 on them as well)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by dstop dstop wrote:

If I unscrew the fins will I be able to screw them back easily? does the screw go into a receptacle or is it directly into the fiberglass. any advise would help. thanks

The fins are through bolted and should be pretty easy to seal up using Pete's described method above. 5200 is amazing stuff. I applied it to the top of the fin that makes contact with the hull and even put some topside under the washers just for good measure and because the tube seems to last forever. Good luck!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 11:57pm
I'm not sure i see the "top side" bolts    where are they?
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 11:59pm
Also I tried to upload a picture of where i think the water is coming from but it did not work. how do i upload it
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Originally posted by dstop dstop wrote:

If I unscrew the fins will I be able to screw them back easily? does the screw go into a receptacle or is it directly into the fiberglass. any advise would help. thanks

The fins are through bolted and should be pretty easy to seal up using Pete's described method above. 5200 is amazing stuff. I applied it to the top of the fin that makes contact with the hull and even put some topside under the washers just for good measure and because the tube seems to last forever. Good luck!

not in this year model....they are only screwed to the fiberglas hull not throuhg bolted..this is safety feature...if you hit something with them they will come off producing little or no damage or holes to the hull..If through bolted in a hit (mayor) they will come of with a chunk of the hull and surely a big hole there....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 1:28am
so does that mean this is not the source of the leak?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 9:43am
Daniel,
Where else have you looked for water coming in? How much water is there? Are you sure this water isn't just water in the bilge going forward and then aft again when you accelerate?
If the boat is on a lift, the bilge area by the skegs may be the low point but it depends on how the lift/bunks were set up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 1:35pm
I have noticed that more ofter than usual the bilge goes on. so I did empty all the water out, dryed up the bildge area and the looked for water. i found it comming up just forward of the ski pylon under the deck . it was not comming in fast
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic