NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang Stringer Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 15>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 1:41pm
Engine is out. Along with pretty much everything else. Now I need to level, brace and get to cutting. Right after a trip to Harbor Freight.

Add this to the Redneck Engine Hoist. Actually it worked great. Not a single creek in the rafters.

Muddy oily mess in the bell housing. I'm sure from the flooding it took when the freeze plug popped out last year.

Crack to be welded.

Velvet drive. Needs to go to Eric.

I know these are made to hold engines but it just seems weird having her cantilevered like that. Planning on repainting, if I can find the right blue. Any hints on cleaning and getting the old stuff off?

Found my slow oil leak. Will have to fix this for sure, can't having my new bilge oily. I'll replace the oil pan gasket as well while it's all out.

connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 1:49pm
Vondy looking good, now the real fun begins. get a full suit when cutting glass, it will save alot of scratching
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 2:06pm
The fun begins.   I used a citrus based engine cleaner and a couple different scrub brushes. I acetoned after that. Duplicolor should have the right paint.
Already going to start adding to the "while I am in here" list.
As long as you have the oil pan off, you may as well do a rear seal. Since you are doing the rear, you may as well do the front one. As long as you are doing that, you may as well do a timing set, etc, etc, etc...

For secondaries, you want 1x6. I think I got 12 footers. Just get an extra and rip down for your longitudinals.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 3:24pm
Yes, let the fun begin. And the questions....

First, leveling and bracing. Where is the best place to level off of front to back? My main stringers do not appear to have a very flat surface anywhere. The secondaries are pretty good. Will that work?

My trailer was modified by the P.O. so the bunks go all the way to the back. I was going to add some supports where I have marked in the pic. Do I need to support the keel at all?

Then there is the question of grinding. I'm grinding away the old glass that held the stringers in right? I'm worried about not knowing when to stop. Guess I'll get a better feel once I start doing it.

Thanks guys. Obviously I can't do it without y'all!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 6:32pm
My oil pan had the same leak.There is some kind of rubber diaphram rivited between that plate and the pan.There is a hole in it and the dipstick tube passes thru it. I ended up cleaning it well and using rtv sealant on it.If I ever have to pull the motor I'm going to install this one I took off a PCM pan,the dipstick tube threads on. And like Mike says,where do you stop with the motor? Since your in there might want to check the oil pump and change to a heavy duty oil pump drive shaft too.And check the teeth on the flywheel.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 3:44pm
Anyone have Eric's email? Eric you around? Need to contact about sending the transmission.

Thanks!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 4:01pm
877 369 6693

search for fantastic finish marine...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 4:47pm
Thanks for the number Kapla.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 5:08pm
Went to look at the Fir today. The vertical grain looked beautiful. The #2 stuff had several knots, some checks and wanes. Believe I'll go with the vertical grain. About $100 for 2x8x12 and $27 for 1x6x10. Forgot to ask about the moister, i'll check that when I pickup.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 11:38am
Are 2x8s tall enough for the mains? Or should I go for 2x10? From my measurements, the highest point is about 7.5 inches, not including the bump up for the gas tank.

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 11:56am
If you get it perfect, you could use 2x8's but they are only 7.5" in the first place.   I went with the 2x10's as I had misplaced my board stretcher at the time.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 12:50pm
Your right Mike, 2x10's it is. What did you use for the cross bracing? Fir or something cheaper?

Did I miss your post for your SN re-stringing? Haven't seen it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 1:40pm
Board strecher Mike ? Not needed,If you refoam,the water it holds keeps the wood expanded.No foam, you need to rehydrate the fir like original
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 1:57pm
Too funny.

Here is mikes thread....the long road ahead
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 2:00pm
I just got an extra 1x6 and will rip them and cut to fit. Ironic that I named my thread the long road ahead, as I have not touched the boat in a year....

Yeah Gary.   I lost mine with my wire stretcher. They came as a set. Makes me mad because I actually had the fancy one that also does sheetrock.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 5:36pm
I have the same oil leak from the base of the dipstick Tried sealing it with rtv but it is still leaking. For cleaning the motor I used purple power mostly but also used 3m brake cleaner on some parts which worked really well. The brake cleaner is good for spot cleaning something you are about to paint because it evaporates away quickly. Make sure when you paint the bell housing you use a self etching primer. That aluminum does not hold paint otherwise

Looks like that trailer has a ton of support. The brace you drew looks fine. Probably not much else you could do with that set up. I think being level side to side is more important than front to back so you can tell if your stringers are all going back in level.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Make sure when you paint the bell housing you use a self etching primer. That aluminum does not hold paint otherwise

I guess in my case I will need to use a primer for the bell housing, intake and exhaust manifolds. Keegan what did you use, Duplicolor's self etching primer?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Duplicolor's self etching primer?

David,
I use the Duplicolor self etch and found it to be a good product. I also wipe down aluminum with a weak acid. In my case, I use liquid soldering flux just because I always have a pint on hand. Some will use vinegar but I do not feel it's strong enough.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 1:13pm
Thanks Pete. Since I'm applying primer to the aluminum, should I go ahead and apply to the rest of the engine as well?

Picking up the Fir today. Hopefully this weekend I can get some cutting and grinding done. Need to finalize my US Composites list as well so I can get that ordered. How long has it been taking you guys to get your orders in from them?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 3:19pm
They consistently take a week to deliver. I also used the duplicolor primer. Not sure about using it on the non aluminum parts. I think anything that is bare metal should get primed. Pete will know better.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 3:35pm
David,
The self etch is fine for all metals so you can use it for the cast iron too. I do recommend priming the whole engine. On my last project (1927 universal) priming made a big difference. I first prepainted some items that would be hard to paint completely after assembly. These I did not prime and it took several coats (3 to 4) of the Duplicolor engine paint to cover the high spots in the rough castings. Then, I went and got a can of Duplicolor engine primer and used it on the complete engine. I found the finish with the engine paint with primer to be lots better plus it covered with one coat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 12:38am
Thanks for all the advice on the engine paint. I'm actually looking forward to messing with that. The stringers are scaring me

Talked to Eric about the trans today and hopefully will be mailing off tomorrow.

What do you guys think about the structure? My plan is to go with 3/4 ply for the floor and vinyl on top of that, no carpet for me.

Should I keep the structure just like it is? As small as the boat is I would imagine 3/4 ply would not need any extra bracing. I don't even think you would need the cross bracing that is in there now since the floor would tie the stringers together. Except maybe under the removable panel.

I'm also thinking of relocating the battery to the center as far forward as I can like others have done. Curious if anyone has attempted to put a built in ice chest in this area. There's a lot of open space under there.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 2:14am
It looks like a lot of space till you start putting it back together. I think I asked the same question, but at putback time there is not really a big enough space to make a nice chest or locker once the battery box and conduit are in. Are you ordering the nautolex vinyl from Garys for the floor? I might spring for it after the carpet is worn out.    

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Are you ordering the nautolex vinyl from Garys for the floor? I might spring for it after the carpet is worn out.    

Thinking about it.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 12:54pm
The samples I got were real nice. I was running out of money at that point in the game and the carpet was a lot cheaper.

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 1:06pm
Keegan, how hard did you look? Lots of places sell the Nautolex.

You can find a piece big enough to do the floor and panels on ebay for ~$200.

Vondy, refresh my memory- do you not have the fiberglass floor pan?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 1:12pm
I think you still want the longitudinal stringers. You need some support outward on the floor.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 1:24pm
On my Skier, we're not refoaming. Instead of those "straps" that sit in notches cut in the main and secondary stringers, we're going to put in a few ribs running between the secondary and side of the hull- at least at the seems of the plywood floor pieces. Cutting and cutting around those notches in the stringers is a pain. Those ribs, plus glassing the floor to the walls should provide plenty of support. I think we're going to use 5/8" ply.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 1:41pm
I wish I would have done ribs on the SN, but I already cut the notches. And, yes, what a pain in the ass to work around them....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Vondy, refresh my memory- do you not have the fiberglass floor pan?

Yes I do have the floor pan. It's in pretty bad shape though. Cracks everywhere, the pylon area was separated and glued to the floor when I got it and the removable section behind the engine was very flimsy. I put some ply in that area, painted white, to get me through the last two years.

The ribs sound good. I would love to skip the notching. What species would you use for them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 15>
  Share Topic