NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on a 393 stroker build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:22pm
Looks like fun - i am about the same spot putting mine together at the moment - pistons are in but heads arent on as I ended up needing custom gaskets made up and they just arrived.

What pistons are we looking at there? What is up with the really long main studs?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:37pm
windage tray?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:44pm
Possible, but not one I have seen before. They look like smaller diameter extensions like the one you would need for the oil pickup.. it is definitely not a stud girdle. Will be interesting to see
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
littleshop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleshop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 11:56pm
Yup yup. Windage tray indeed per suggestion from one of the fellas on here.   It's on there as of now, but due to the rotation I had to flip it around backwards, cut one end off and tig it to the other side. Fits good now, with about 3/16 to the rod bolts at the closest point.

can't remember what the pistons are cause its been a minute since we ordered all that.. Will find out tho.     

Hopefully I don't blow up all of this stuff!

connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 11:26pm
Pic of my 383 stroker chevy for my 75 separator! cool thread, ill be doing a 351w soon.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 11:38pm
OOOPS!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 10:04am
ahhhhhhh, finally
what size carb Jeff? my stroked monster loved a 780cfm, tried it on a whim, that fcker made brute power, i thought i would never say this but it made to much power for the car
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 11:08am
Nice Jeff! Will it run if you get fingerprints on it?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleshop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 7:48pm
I lied, the pistons are Probe not Ross. 10676-030    And that 383 looks pretty sweet! I'm considering putting March stuff on mine too, and maybe convert it to serpentine.    Hard to know where to draw the line..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 11:04pm
Hay Eric! 750 cfm marine unit! Hay Greg! i freaking hope so! when you guys talk a labor of love you ain,t kidding, might have to put a 3rd hole in the transom if ya know what i maen!
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by littleshop littleshop wrote:

In cam land in looks like I'll be going with a 224/230 .512ish lift from Comp instead of Cam Research. I found out that a lot of Cam Research's recommendation on that .460 lift cam had to do with the fact that's the biggest core they have for the 351 in reverse.

The things you learn.

They were nice enough to refund my money even though they had already started on the grind which is cool.    

Just wondering what cam you finally decided to go with and what specs.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2012 at 6:13pm
im thinking mid 60's? what prop did you decide on Jeff?
"the things you own will start to own you"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 10:56am
I've heard bad things about the eagle crankshafts snapping near the rear maing journal :S. That is what I have seen online about the mopar 408 stroker cranks but I've also heard that SCAT makes a much stronger piece in that regard. I don't know if the same holds true for a ford. Either way stroker motors are where its at. And an 83 motor with a one piece rear main? I thought that the 86 motor was the first for that if not enlighten me.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 11:01am
The switch on rear main seal styles (for the 351w) happened in '82-83.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 11:02am
Zach,
I know you are the Mopar guy so can you comment/help with this thread?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 11:40am
Ill throw in my 2 cents Pete. Maybe it was 86 when chebby switched to the new style crankshaft that wouldn't bolt up to the flywheel we are using in the skylark. Its been a while since I built my ford haha. Thanks Tim.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleshop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 1:31am
file-fittin some rings..

had to I cut one end off the windage tray and re-weld it onto the opposite side to spin it around for the reverse rotation

some were asking about the cam specs.. It was per recommendation from Comp

Got it all put back together this weekend and took that pic while running it for 30 mins on Comp break-in oil before swapping out to real oil and reinstalling the inner valave springs.   

Sorry for all the uploads but I'm excited about this sucker!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 10:55am
Is the brazed port in the exhaust riser for a O2 sensor?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleshop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 3:12pm
Yessir, it's for a data tool. TIGed it in with 308 stainless rod and was a bitch to get to!   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by littleshop littleshop wrote:

Yessir, it's for a data tool. TIGed it in with 308 stainless rod and was a bitch to get to!   

Looks pretty good though. It would scare the heck out of me as if it cracks you are going to cause some trouble, but I guess if you didnt crack it welding it and cooling it down you should be alright.

That boat is looking pretty sweet.. I am jealous I still have to put on my intake manifold and paint the block tonight.     

I have used that same number probe piston a few times and they look different each time I order them. My last set cracked right around the dish pocket, apparently I wasnt the only one that had that problem because it looks like on your set they changed from a relatively sharp transition to a very generous radius in that spot. I like to see the continous improvement from them.. just wish they did it a little sooner!

When do you hit the water? It should be very interesting to see how that thing runs out.

Load it up and bring it down to florida to the SJRR in late march and I will swap rides with ya.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 7:04pm
I made an 02 adapter a few years ago for pcm manifolds but ended up using a different set of manifolds on my boat. I'll try to find a photo of it tonight but there is one on the site somewhere. It was an experiment so it's yours if you want it, I'd just like to see someone put it to use.

edit: found the picture, the 02 sensor is not included, just the adapter

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic