Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

so my tranny is toast, new tranny is here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 4:07pm
I was wondering If i could use the boat in this condition at leat to cruise around until the new unit arrives?
Its only slipping under heavy load, normal cruising is fine.

I plan on doing a fluid change anyway as it was in the schedule around these dates...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 9:47am
well your in a predicament, we know the end result will be a new trans, some straight 40 weight would probably be the best route, and, I shouldnt say this, a half a can of trans sealer only to swell the seals a bit. this goes against everything i preach, but this may be a case to where it warrants the use of an additive to get you the 10 or so days you need until you get a new trans. the damage is done and you are replacing with new. using the 40 weight should keep the packs held. make sure you order a damper also
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 4:24pm
Should have read this before..lol I replace the atf fluid and put some new one there....I took out 2 quarts, and in the bottom of the bottle you could see some tiny metal flakes, golden, so it brass. Put 2 quarts and went for a test...now its worst, it will go forward but once you want to give it plane it start slipping, then it engages slips etc....
On the damper plate, I put a new one when I did the engine back in 2009, and have put around 150hrs since...really need to put a new one again? if so the PCM is the one? pricey at $180, or you carry and alternate I could get from you?

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 5:05pm
never heard of a tranny sealer lol is this the product?
rislone
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 9:26pm
Kapla why not give it a try the damage is already done. I wonder what the brass/gold flakes are? Eric clutch pack or pump wear?

You have convinced me to go the same way if God forbid I ever have trans problems. Order a new unit from the US at least we have a free trade agreement with the US and the Australian government will only put a 10% consumption tax on the price. If it was marked as a gift they sneak through without. Have never heard of the warranty one though. Maybe worth a try though as giving my wife a transmission for the boat as a gift would be a worse idea than any tax the government could impose.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Maybe worth a try though as giving my wife a transmission for the boat as a gift would be a worse idea than any tax the government could impose.

Would it be wrong for her to give it to you?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:09am
fooled many a Coast Gaurd inspectors with thicker oil, the brass in the bottem is from the slippage, try the thicker oil
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:13am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:17am
the thing about these drums cracking is with the return spring installed it will hold the hub into the drum tight and many a crack have been missed because of this, more than once guys have decided to rebuild (which some dont understand the term) they pull the trans, tear it down, new clutches, seal and gasket kit, re-assemble, take it to the lake with their buds, hit and smoke it again
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:23am
what may be happening to your trans is when you put the boat in forward the oil pressure in the drum spreads the crack and leaks, this goes back to the old pool theory I came up with a few years back, oil volume is down and the pressure drops, this would be considered an internal leak which some dont understand the meaning. like i said many times clutch plates do not wear, they need a reason and a good example would be the Caterpillar transmission I did, 30 years old digging its entire life with abusive operators, I could still read the etchings on the faces of the bronze plates and still see the blanche grind marks on the steel seperator plates and I opted not to replace the plates and savred the customer about 3k, Cat wouldve automatically replaced them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:32am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:34am
this drum is a result of water in the oil, you can see the slop in the cast iron seal ring, the seal rings wear into the case and expand and it is impossible to remove the drum without breaking it, at this point normally i have to sleeve the case and install a new drum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 12:31pm
to clear up something, bottom, through, my sub conscience does my spellin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 9:35pm
I´m pulling the trigger tomorrow, but need to confirm something. Eric
you menction getting a new damper plate. The one I have now is only 180hrs old, was replaced 2 years ago when i rebuilt the engine. I really need to put a new one again?

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 11:40pm
Let me venture an answer, but I dont think you'd need one, and in case you do, Bettiga sells some great ones with rubber bushings instead of springs, I think those are quite better but some machining might be required on the damper before install.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2011 at 9:04pm
well I ordered a new tranny along with a new cooler, impeller, some gaskets..and a new carb!
I should arrive here in 15-20 days....

To kill some time, i might go ahead and remove the tranny and take it appart to inspect its condition.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2011 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

To kill some time, i might go ahead and remove the tranny and take it appart to inspect its condition.

Seb,
Yes, pull it apart and find out what's going on with it. We and I'm sure Eric would love to know.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2011 at 9:50pm
dont forget the steering cable!! It adds a tremendous sense of thrill to pull your barefoot runs!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 12:18am
lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 10:28am
Luch, im having a prob now with the rubber bushing dampers, not me, but my customer, he removed the spring type and went with the bush type and is on his second one because of a noise, i believe his was spec'd wrong. the rubber or nylon can be the wrong material and be to hard for the application, so if you opt to go with a bushing, which i dont think you can with a PCM trans, then be careful
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 10:30am
your probably fine with 180 hours, but, use it as a spare?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 12:46pm
My buddy went nautique recovering after the lake delhi dam breach over this weekend...He found his old 92, the top shell was pretty much ripped off, still has some running gear, no carb but the tranny is there..I told him a I have friend in ARG that would love it...

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 3:04pm
poor boat!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 1:13am
Eric, I installed a rubber one in the Moomba, GM 350 and ZF45D, it has performed good so far, at least no complaints, I'd hate to pull that thing apart again...

We also installed one in a Volvo turbo diesel 160hp with a 280 leg.

The spring ones are getting scarce down here, where did your customer install it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 9:39am
on the back of the flywheel
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 9:43am
you asked, lol, its on a fishing boat I believe, the customer who did the install did say it was the replacement from Mercury, its a zf630a, which is gear to gear contact unlike the straight 450d,
it had a spring damper and was replaced with the rubber type as instructed from merc.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 10:22pm
I know the ZF dealer in Argentina is installing those... I will ask about the bushing hardness as Im working on a 4.3 conversion for inboard installation and we'd be putting another rubber damper.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 10:12am
I guess you didnt like my joke
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 10:52am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

on the back of the flywheel

sorry I missed that one,

Yesterday I was pulling the plugs on a EX, you know the firing order?
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 right? U$D250 an OEM plug set... what a steal!!!! (AC delco Iridium)
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 8:23pm
30 bucks a plug!!! WTF we are getting ripped with spares parts!!!

Call that mark up!! 5X the cost!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic