Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barn Find 1989 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Toeboat Toeboat wrote:

Could that hole be caused because the aftermarket high fly that was slipped over the pylon wouldn't allow the cover to close? Pull the hinge pins and slide the engine cover back to close each time the extension was used over the pylon.

The Fly High pylon extension is in the boat was pushing on the cover and rubbing through the vinyl.

Chris,
you have a pylon extension in your diary photo, did you ever experience anything like this? By the way, when I was looking at this boat I was drooling over your boat and hoping I will be able to make this one look like yours and Scotts.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:21pm
Firstly, when are you going to clean that boat, you have had it for a day already!?!
My 92, if my daughters put their feet up on the dog house, it grinds, I yell, they apologize. Check the clearence and the "stops" at the deck.
Motor looks great! Get to the detailing!! Looks like its outside? Snowsuit!
Js
Toeboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toeboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:22pm
You're going to love that boat. Enjoy!
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:36pm
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:37pm
Really nice looking boat!!!'

Very cool to see it in the hands of a caring owner.

Can't wait to see it in the water.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:39pm
It's from the box hoping over the stops when someone's feet are pushing against it. Not the pylon extension. I'm just a hobbyist though.

Chris, they should have smelled it too!
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:39pm
Great find man, hope you enjoy it!!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:45pm
Skierox purchased a brand new 1989 Ski Nautique, sold it in 1993. We have seen the hole damage many times. Most likely from pushing a foot, or two against the engine cover. For sure, not factory, no hole in the engine cover from Correct Craft! I have helped repair one in a 1989. This was also the first year for that engine box design. Old style would not fit the new muffler.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:21am
Congrats, very nice looking boat, and you don't even have to change the reg. #s.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:43am
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

Chris,
you have a pylon extension in your diary photo, did you ever experience anything like this? By the way, when I was looking at this boat I was drooling over your boat and hoping I will be able to make this one look like yours and Scotts.

Yes, there is some evidence of this - but it did not happen on my watch! Definitely from pushing, not the pylon.

Thanks for the compliments. These boats have a timeless look to them.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 5:59am
That's from    4 feet hanging on for dear life power slides !
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 10:45am
Great barn find. have fun with it!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 11:01am
I have the same hole in my 89'. I just had my interior done and the guy reinforced the motor box a ton and patched the hole. I went down to the lake yesterday and found out that the motor box is rubbing on the front so looks like ill have to get that taken care of this evening.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 11:37am
Must not be much clearance on those 89s
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:00pm
Actually it is good news that it isnt the extended pylon, I've never used one but I am planning on to get into wakeboarding (that should be good @ 50 years old). I am thinking about maybe moving the engine cover stops forward a little to give additional clearance to the pulley and and making the stops slightly taller to prevent the cover hopping over them. I can't imagine that I can stop bikini clad hotties from putting their feet on the cover- or that I would even want to
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:09pm
My 90 is susceptible to the box rubbing on the pulleys as well... not a lot of clearance. I would be hesitant to move the box forward, as you'll decrease clearance between the pylon and box, which is a negative when it comes to using a barefoot boom. You may not have the option to do so anyways- I know my rear panel that holds the hinge tie downs is all the way forward, butted against the transmission.

Like everyone else confirmed, the Fly High has nothing to do with that wear... its all from people putting their feet up against the motorbox. Thats a no-no.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:31pm
My 83 also has a tendency to rub a hole through the box.. showed up after I went from a 1:1 to a 1:23 to 1 - so it doesnt surprise me to here that a few other 89's had the problem.. even with a new motor box design you cant move the box any farther forward than the pylon.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 1:51pm
Thanks for the info- I guess the new policy is feet off the motor box
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 2:13pm
On top, like a foot rest is ok. Against, like a kick panel is not.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 2:23pm
But that's the most comfortable position!! haha.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 3:00pm
I suppose offenders won't push with their toe on the worn-thru spot more than once!

Ben Franklin
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 4:13pm
If my memory is correct. The 71 Nautique I owned, had a slot in front of the motor cover, to clear the pylon as you closed it.
I guess that way they could mount the motor cover a little farther foward to clear the pulley.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

On top, like a foot rest is ok. Against, like a kick panel is not.

+1 on that. I put my feet up there all the time on the rare ocassion that I'm not driving. Have done so on other members boats and haven't been fussed at yet.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 10:39am
I went through all of the mechanicals of the boat in the last month and finally took it out to the lake yesterday. Weather was absolutely beautiful and spent about 3 hours doing a "test" run. Had a few small kinks to iron out, but overall it performed excellent.
New Steering Cable
Rebuilt Carb
Electronic Ignition conversion
Compression 145lbs lowest / 149 highest
Changes all the fluids
Tune up
Plug Wires
Cleaned all electrical connections
New manifold and riser gaskets
Gore tex rope seals
New impeller
New accessory drive belts

Where I started

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 10:43am
man looks awesome!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 10:44am
I still have to buff and polish the boat, do a shaft alignment (very slight vibration) and adjust my steering wheel alignment.
Few more

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 10:44am
man looks awesome!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 11:47am
What a pretty boat!

Ben Franklin
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 11:47am
looks like a season of fun coming at you. very clean ride!
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

I still have to buff and polish the boat, do a shaft alignment (very slight vibration) and adjust my steering wheel alignment.

The boat looks great. Enjoy all the hours you put into doing all that work.

I do need to correct you about an alignment needed due to vibration. Typically a misaligned shaft/strut/engine will NOT cause vibration since the shaft is in a bind. What will cause vibration is a bad prop, a loose prop and or a bent prop shaft. Have you check any of these items?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic