NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 BFN - PCM 454 tune up

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 1:53pm
No reason to replace floats unless they're broken and nonfunctional. Notice the flat on the top, that's what you're looking at to hang parallel with the top of the bowl when upside down.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 2:42am
I completed the rebuild of the Holley. Started the engine and it ran, but with a rough idle! Vacuum was reading 11 which is 4 lower than before the rebuild. For some reason the idle/mixture screws have no effect when adjusted. I can screw them both all the way in and the motor will still be running. So the motor is running off a secondary circuit?????
Plan to pull carb back off the motor tomorrow evening and start to trouble shoot the issue. Any suggestions?
Thanks.......Tom
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 10:59am
Any chance 8.5 is too high a number for the power valve? I know it was mentioned that it should be ok, but you went up a couple points during the rebuild, right?
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 11:35am
I actually found a 6.5 in the rebuild kit also. They sent me 2 PVs. So I installed the 6.5 which is what was in it before. I am kind of surprised there is an issue. I took lots of pics during the teardown, cleaned everything very very well. Soaked the parts for approx. 1 hour in chem-dip, used a tooth brush and paper towels to scrub and clean any stubborn areas. Rinsed off with spray carb cleaner and then used shop air to blow out all the passages. I laid the parts out in order on clean towels. Then I took my time and re assembled module by module.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 11:41am

Rebuilt Carb after spending 8 hours working on it :)
Thanks.......Tom
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 12:04pm
Tom have you checked for any vacuum leaks?
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by cphase cphase wrote:

Tom have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

Ahh, good point.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 12:54pm
No but I will. Is there a easy way to check for vacuum leaks?
Thanks.......Tom
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 1:25pm
Spay a little bit of carb cleaner around the base, and if you get a change in RPMS, you most likely have a vacuum leak.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 1:26pm
OK will do.
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 1:33pm
Vacuum leak would be my best guess- that would explain the rough idle as well as the lower vacuum reading. Did you replace the gaskets under the carb and spacer? Sometimes the cheap paper ones dont hold a great seal.

Once thats solved, then report back if your idle screws become responsive... if not, then make sure your idle speed adjustment isnt adjusted so high that the butterflies are remaining open a little bit.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 1:54pm
OK will do.....
One thing I just noticed is when I first start the motor the primary nozzle-booster on the left side (primary throttle linkage side) was dripping fuel very fast almost a small stream/drip down onto the butterfly. The other side there was no sign of fuel dripping.
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 1:57pm
Well thats not good... that would explain why the idle mixture screws arent working. Sounds like you may have a needle/seat problem.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 1:58pm
My rule of thumb has always been the more closed the butterfiles are at idle the better.

Motors with big camshafts like to hang up on idle if the butterflies are opened to far.

My idle screws are non responsive and will not stall the engine even though the thing runs properly. No vac leaks to speak of. The old PCV was pulling to much vac and making it idle high. New PCV and that was solved. I need to order a new metering block for the front to fix my problem. The idle screws have to be waaaaayyyy out to make it start with the key and no pumps.

It idles at about 400-500 steady rpms bunked in the trailer and about 700-800 under way. 800 out of gear.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 2:01pm
That would explain the black smoke. I've seen a lot of carbs leaking fuel from the front boosters causing run problems. A lot of times you can diagnose that without even taking the flame arrestor off by listening to the carb and hearing the drips be sucked by the butterflies every few seconds.

At idle it should have a smooth suction sound with no breaks in the sound if you get what I mean.

I have another carb off a boat that ran properly other than leaking fuel from the boosters. I am going to go through that one and see if the idle circuits work better than the one on my carb. Could be something plugged up in the body too. I paid a shop to rebuild it back when I was younger and not confident if I kenw what I was doing inside of a carb.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Well thats not good... that would explain why the idle mixture screws arent working. Sounds like you may have a needle/seat problem.

During the rebuild I removed the float and needle assembly. The Holley instructions had a spec for my carb float height of .140 inch...orignally it was set above .200 inch.
I used a .140 drill bit as a gage and slowley bent the tab of float until it was set correctly. My carb is a internal float setting.

I also replaced the needle assembly with the new ones I received in the kit.
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 2:14pm
Did you lower or raise the float?

There have been reports of bad Holley needle/seat combos right out of the box- both in rebuild kits and brand new carbs. You may have gotten one of them. If your old one didnt drip, you have the option to throw it back in there and see if it corrects the issue. I'd be on the horn with whoever sold the rebuild kit if it does!
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 2:24pm
Needle/seat is a good start for the drip, you may need that float a little less than parallel when looking at the bowl inverted.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 2:38pm
I had to swap out an old needle and seat on an 86 we had in the shop with a new one because it was just flooding fuel out of the boosters when the engine would run.

I have also found many times rebuilding snowmobile carbs that the new needle and seats were faulty. I got to the point of if they weren't leakin from the bowl vents I would re use the old needle and seats because I was tired of taking fresh carbs apart again and cleaning fuel out of the belly pans.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 2:58pm
With the bowl inverted I lowered the float to meet the .140 spec.
I guess next step is to pull front bowl .... Do a inspection....and install the old needle/seat?
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 3:03pm
Yep, thats how I'd proceed.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 3:11pm
Below is a good pdf for parts and part numbers for a 4160 if any one is interested:

Exploded view and description of Model 4160 Carburetor
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 3:15pm
Easier to just change float level I would think, running a wedge or not?
Brian
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 3:28pm
Usually if you flip the bowl upside down with no float on it and you can't physically blow through the needle and seat it's ok but if you can blow through it at all with just pressure from your mouth than it't for sure bad.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Usually if you flip the bowl upside down with no float on it and you can't physically blow through the needle and seat it's ok but if you can blow through it at all with just pressure from your mouth than it't for sure bad.

Man I am glad to know I am not the only one to do that.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 4:25pm
Learned that working on sled carbs. A needle and seat is a very strong seal when machined properly.   
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

There have been reports of bad Holley needle/seat combos right out of the box- both in rebuild kits and brand new carbs. You may have gotten one of them. If your old one didnt drip, you have the option to throw it back in there and see if it corrects the issue. I'd be on the horn with whoever sold the rebuild kit if it does!

Chalk me up for one who had a bad one right from the rebuild kit. I took it apart and recleaned it but it still dripped out the primary. I ended up doing just what Tim said, and put the old needle/seat back into the carb and the issue went away.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I tried to blow through the new one with the bowl turned upside down. No air would pass through. I am nstalling the old one a see what happens.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 7:56pm
Installed the old needle and seat and boat runs like a new one. Unbeliveable.......Thanks to everyone for providng support.
Thanks.......Tom
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 8:01pm
Nice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic