NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rope snap back=ER trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Jeff, you are supposed to snag that handle with your teeth and never spill a drop of beer

Yep Jim zigged when I shoulda zagged, but still have my pearly whites.

Nice ride later that day in your beautiful 93. Great shot here of you and your bride, PM me your email and I'll send to you, photos looks even better in real scale.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 1:17am
I wonder if this happens when tubing?

HAHA, kidding...I know how homicidal you people get when the 'T' word is mentioned.

Glad the OP's wife is doing relatively well. Talk about a freak accident.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 12:04pm
That's the scariest handle pop story I've heard.
YES, shock tubes work. Using them with short line skiing is a must. They work to cut down on the recoil of the handle by dampening the rubber band effect. Preventing the line itself from springing forward is another benefit.
As others have said, a true wakeboard line will not recoil like that. It is also much better to board without a stretchy line as it is a consistent pull. I would also try to buy equipment like that from real watersports stores like Wiley's, H2Osmosis, N3 Boatworks etc. so you get the real thing. With most of these there are also very knowledgeable people to talk with.
Years ago I lost the handle in a hard pull on a wake cross slalom skiing. The handle flew past the boat on the drivers side and the rope recoiled off the pylon and in front of my girlfriend who was driving. When the handle hit the water with the boat still moving the rope cut across her neck. It scared the s#@t out of both of us. She had a terrible rope burn that for weeks like someone tried to strangle her. We got a lot of strange looks and I'm still not sure her co-workers believe what really happened.
Moral of the story...use a shock tube.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 12:27pm
I will be pulling mine out of the bow and using it now.... Yikes, what a story.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by skirunt skirunt wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. I am sure I am not the only one when buying a wakeboard rope, if it says wakeboard rope, then you think it is a wake board rope.(d*cks Sporting Goods) I grew up water skiing, when we had kids we got away from the water. Thirteen years passed by quickly, a lot has changed. Back then a rope was a rope as long as it was thin. The education on ropes has been very helpful and hopefully helpful to others. Heather's appointment went well though they do not understand her hearing loss. Off to the neurologist for further testing if it doesn't return with in a week. Marty Mabe ,I will be in touch. Thanks for the offer!

Hey man i was talking with my wife yesterday about your wife's hearing loss. She is a DR of Audiology and she wanted me to tell you to have her hearing tested by an audiologist. It may be something they could fix if caught soon enough. We are in Winston Salem and would be glad to help out in anyway we can. Baptist has an excellent speech and hearing center.

Take care!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

skirunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 10:07am
Hatterbee, sending you a pm.
79 nautique 93 nautique
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 4:53pm
Man.... we've been lucky. IHad handles fly into boat....try and use shocktube with all shortline skiers but pulling big guys out on slalom skis that ride the tail deep are equally as dangerous.
skirunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 8:48pm
It seems snapbacks are not that uncommon, I had never had one make it to the boat until MM day. I would attribute it to a 6 3" 220 lb man trying to get up on a wakeboard and holding on to rope until the bitter end. I do enjoy the rush of salom skiing. Maybe need a lesson on wakeboarding since it is new to me. I did watch a U-TUBE video Heather seems more with it today though is still refusing any prospect of being my driver hopefully when the swelling goes down she will see the light. Still no hearing improvement though. Good ropes, shock tubes and hockey helmet should cut down the risks and knowing when to let go.
79 nautique 93 nautique
Sid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 4:40pm
One of the guys across the lake goes 210+, competes regularly, and gets into 32 off and beyond every morning, 34 mph. And he hangs on too long. He's not allowed in the boat without a shock tube. Speedy recovery to the Mrs.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 5:05pm
these nets really did have a functional safety use.

This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic