NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drive shaft straightening ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Shoot for 1/2" of clearance from strut to prop hub.

If you go any shorter than 3/8", theres a good chance you wont be able to fit a prop puller in there. Separating the coupling halves to swap props is a PITA.
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 4:17pm
Good point TRBenj.
I will get a shaft 1/2"-3/4" shorter than current.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 4:37pm
Her is one 53" but I think its for a pass through coupling like the Hurth gear. Not a face to face type.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEKKO-SKI-BOAT-53-1-4-INCH-PROPELLER-SHAFT-AND-COUPLE-/370275212649?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item56361f5d69&vxp=mtr
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

I was thinking the shaft could be saved by moving the taper up. Does anyone know the Rockwell of the shaft?

It's truly amazing what you can find with the search feature!!!   
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The Rockwell is close depending on the alloy of the shaft. I think you'd be surprised on how hard the nibral is. I Rockwelled a Acme 540 not too long ago.

The Nibral is a 78 on the B scale. That's getting up there and damn close to most stainless used on prop shafts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 10:26pm
Ok, got the shaft out tday, not as hard as I thought it'd be. Just took awhile to get all 8 coupler bolts off (2 open end wrenches at a 1/4 - 1/2 turn each at a time), it helped that I squirted some pb blaster the day before. Took the set screws and collar bolts out and then just started tapping with the hammer to get it moving. Once it would slide I tapped on the back of the coupler and was eventually able to slide the coupler off - not bad.
I can roll the shaft on a known flat surface and it look just like the tip is off... I think I might take it to a machine shop to see if they can true it up....
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 11:30pm
Have that measured inside and out before you pay for anything.   Mine took a gear puller to remove and fought till the last 1/4 inch.   I forgot to do the socket thing before I pulled the motor, but with the limited access I do t think slowed the process any.
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 2:04am
So if I can get this shaft corrected, what special things would I need to do for re-installing? I'm sure getting the coupler on the shaft will not be as easy as taking it off. And I know I need to confirm alignment once it is bolted in. Btw, the strut bearing is fine. There is very little if any play, and after removal, there doesn't appear to be any uneven wear.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 9:16am
A good pair of oven mitts!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 8:22pm
So I guess I'm going to get a new shaft. Should I get the one from nautique parts? Or the one from skidim?
I know NP is a site sponsor, and it appears to be about $100 cheaper....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by shagit shagit wrote:

I'm sure getting the coupler on the shaft will not be as easy as taking it off.

Not true.
With the coupling heated, it will be expanded and should slid on the shaft as long as you have things like the key prepped.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 9:10pm

So I guess I'm going to get a new shaft. Should I get the one from nautique parts? Or the one from skidim?
I know NP is a site sponsor, and it appears to be about $100 cheaper....

Unless you know the EXACT dimention of the new shaft (shafting has diameter tollerances) and your coupling, don't use your old coupling. Remember it's an interference fit of .000" to -.0005".

The easier way is to go with the ARE double taper shaft system. Then, you won't even need to heat shrink the coupling on. Billy and Karen distribute them. 318 386 2825

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 9:41pm
So if I order am ARE shaft, I can order it 1/2" shorter ? And sorry for the question, but who are Billy and Karen?
I also noted that before I loosened/removed my existing shaft, the coupler was flush all the way around - with the mount on the vdrive... Hoping things will be pretty easy to line up/adjust...
Thank you!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 10:17pm

Hoping things will be pretty easy to line up/adjust...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Hoping things will be pretty easy to line up/adjust...

Foilhead, always the optimist..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 11:02pm
Been there, done that and it's not like a DD.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 11:06pm
Can I buy you a beer?>
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 11:17pm
I'm good.    I think I drank about a pallet or so doing the rehab, didn't speed the process any and now I probably need to go rehab myself.
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 11:59pm
I do try to be optimistic ..... So I just need to bake (the collar ;) in the oven a bit.... Like 200-300 degrees? For 10 min or so? Then quickly get it out to the awaiting shaft - and voila !
Excellent!
Are there any disadvantages with the ARE shaft? Other than being $100 more? And it comes with everything I need?
I ask too many questions don't I ......
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 12:03am
Hotter and longer...
But the ARE is probably worth the 100 clams once one factors in time, hassle and just old worn out parts.
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 12:25am
The ARE just bolts right up with nothing more to buy, correct? And I guess I can get an exact length then as well...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 12:44am
I did 20 min in the oven at 400 with a solo cup full of ice water on the shaft, I believe those are the standards posted around here somewhere. Also remember I had no Vdrive or motor in my way.   Coupler was on a cookie sheet, saw horses set so I could set it down, jump in the boat, pull off the cup and grab the coupler.   Buzzer went off, welding gloves on and I made it to the door before I burnt my hands. Now the coupling is on the porch 50 yards from the boat and I'm looking for oven mits.   Found them, set the coupling on top of them a ran to the boat. It slipped right on, mybe 1/8 in short and that's it you do t get 2 tries. Good enough for me, the shaft was pulled out a little further before from a rope catch so I know the prop clears. Only thing I missed was being able to tighten the set bolt, had to drill another spot.

If you figure you're going to have to make 2 attempts and that $100 isn't much. Once it touches the shaft the heat starts to transfer and the shaft expands every locks up, that's going to be difficult to get it lined up and slid on with the Vdrive in the way. I think I got a little lucky because we do this at work every now and then, I was familiar with the process before I tried it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 12:47am

The ARE just bolts right up with nothing more to buy, correct? And I guess I can get an exact length then as well...

I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to buy the tool that you use to seperate the shaft from the coupler
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 2:05am
I think all you need is the socket, it's thin and designed to fit between the couplings. They make some other things that make pulling the shaft and changing the strut bushings quick and painless, but I don't think you need them to put the shaft in. SKIDIM has the whole set up and a video of what to do on their site.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 6:02am

And sorry for the question, but who are Billy and Karen?

My Correct Craft parts

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 8:08am
Another cost justification for the ARE shaft is avoidance of the trip to the ER, when you get 3rd degree burns on your forearm.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Another cost justification for the ARE shaft is avoidance of the trip to the ER, when you get 3rd degree burns on your forearm.

Lol!
True

I have found a machine shop here in Orlando that straightens shafts! Actually turns out they have done a little work for Correct Craft before after talking with them.
They said they can true it to the needed tolerance (less than .003) shorten it the half inch (including adding 1/2" to the keyway) and do it under $100.
I will update when I get it back, should be early next week.

Sackett machine on Old wintergarden road.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 5:35pm
art cozier shop maybe?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2013 at 11:02pm
So it doesn't look like they can straighten the shaft after all, the shop called today and said they can't get it past ten thousanths.....
Soooo, guess I'm going to order an ARE.... :/
So much for my optimism..... Lol
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2013 at 11:04pm
Anybody know somewhere in central fla that stocks the ARE and around the same price? Was hoping to put a shaft in next week....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 12:15am
You want a custom length shaft that someone has in stock,   ........ mmmm.....K

Might notable as long as you think, probably drop shipped from ARE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic