NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Weight Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Valvoline VR1 20w50 or Mobil1 15w50.

Are you guys running the dino or the synthetic?

dino -- "Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)", 20W-50 p/n VV211

synthetic -- "Valvoline Racing Synthetic (VR1) Motor Oil", 20W-50 p/n 679082.0

Both have 1400 ppm zinc and 1300 ppm phosphorus. Looks like the synthetic is about $2.50 more per quart.

Personally, I use the conventional VR1. If I want synthetic, I use the M1 15w50. I have been able to find the latter in the 5 qt jugs at Walmart recently for ~$25.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 4:11pm
Either the k and n has the wrong grade point average or the amsoil is off and one other one. Theres no way 2 D's are going 2 B's. And then again I was at Florida State in the late 80's
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 4:14pm
I guess the gpa could be weighted in certain categories. If that was the case then it could be possible if not then you guys need to check your math.
Thanks
Mike
Lakedog55
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 8:15pm
Mike,

Per the original study:

30um Filtering (weight 5)
Overall Build Quality (weight 5)
Media Surface Area (weight 1)
Media Volume (weight 1)

GPA = [ 5 x Filtering + 5 x Quality + 1 x Surface + 1 x Volume ] / 12

The original study also included Price and weighted it at 1.5, but we tossed that out.

Yup, Florida State was a party school in the 80's... I went to UW-Madison, same thing.

Steve
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 9:16pm
Man north of the border can sure be a pain for some of this stuff.

Finally tracked down some VR 1 20w50 conventional at Napa auto parts for 7.59 a litre. Thats cheaper than the 11 bucks/ltr Lordco quoted me for the mobil 1.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 10:05pm
Steve,
Thanks,
Luckily I did not step in anything to nasty today. Although the water is pretty much like old bath tub water right now.
I thought wick made napa and carquest filters.
Mike
Lakedog55

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 11:32pm
Yes, I think most if not all NAPA and Carquest filters are made by Wix. But each one is made to the customer's specifications. I saw a youtube video comparing a Wix and Carquest filter, and the only difference for those specific models was in the number of pleats in the filter material.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 12:37pm

Mercruiser 4-Cycle 25W-40 Marine Engine Oil: 1500 ppm ZDDP
Valvoline VR1 20W-50 Racing Oil: 1200-1300 ppm ZDDP
Super Tech 15W-40 Universal Motor Oil: 1200 ppm ZDDP

I'm waking a sleeping oil-thread dragon here, but does anyone run that Mercruiser oil?

Where I live, there's more West Marines nearby that Walmarts or good auto parts stores. West Marine stocks the Mercruiser oil, so I can put my hands on that more easily than VR1 (which I'd probably have to ship).

The Mercruiser looks like it has enough ZDDP, so would it be otherwise suitable?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Mercruiser 4-Cycle 25W-40 Marine Engine Oil: 1500 ppm ZDDP
Valvoline VR1 20W-50 Racing Oil: 1200-1300 ppm ZDDP
Super Tech 15W-40 Universal Motor Oil: 1200 ppm ZDDP

I'm waking a sleeping oil-thread dragon here, but does anyone run that Mercruiser oil?

Where I live, there's more West Marines nearby that Walmarts or good auto parts stores. West Marine stocks the Mercruiser oil, so I can put my hands on that more easily than VR1 (which I'd probably have to ship).

The Mercruiser looks like it has enough ZDDP, so would it be otherwise suitable?

Brian, I've used it for years in the Mercruiser 140 I/O. But since I made the post you quoted, I've found that the 1500 ppm number is old. Nowhere can I find anything official from Mercury Marine / Mercuiser / Quicksilver that gives the current zinc and phosphorus content. What I find are other people complaining that Merc won't print it any more. So the concern (conclusion?) is that they may have reduced the content.

I'm just tired of companies being too good to list the contents, and charging me up the ying yang for their mystery products.

Steve

p.s. "ying yang" is a technical marine term

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 11:09pm
Has anyone tried or know the hot rod and classic car oil by Lucas? They have a 20w50 with high zddp. Just wanted to know if it any good.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
fyrhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fyrhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 2:30pm
Take a look,,good site.
http://www.shopthedude.com/index.cl
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 6:58pm
Ron (and Corey - I'll explain it here),
CC fan does not automatically post a true link. Ron, here's a proper link

First you go to "post reply" and not the "quick reply". Clicking on the world icon will bring up a box where you put in a description. Click OK and the second box will come up and that's where you past the copied URL.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 8:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic