Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 Ski Nautique 2001 Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:48am
Well I pumped the transmission as dry as possible, looked like a strawberry milkshake. Not surprising seeing how it was operating while under water for a while. Filled it with fresh ATF. Drained the motor oil and replaced oil and filter. Attempted to remove the prop but was only able to get the prop nut to come off. Going to have to order a removal tool or find someone in the DFW area that has one handy
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 10:12am
Ouch!! I probably would have driven it too. I assume that the bolts probably weren't as tight as they needed to be if it "rattled" them loose. All you can do is put it back together properly and run the trans and see what ya got!

Perfect time to upgrade to that 540 ;).
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 10:36pm
I'm guessing it probably did a number on the shaft inside the coupler if not the coupler too, while that thing was flailing around.
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 1:55am
So is there anyway to check the shaft inside the coupler without removing the coupler? going to guess thats a stupid question...
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Mike26 Mike26 wrote:

So is there anyway to check the shaft inside the coupler without removing the coupler? going to guess thats a stupid question...

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
You will need to pull the shaft to see if it's bent as well as the strut. You also may have damaged the log and stuffing box.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 10:10am
Good deal, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask after reading how much of a PITA is appears to be to remove the drive shaft and coupler.

Got the boat interior all dried out after a couple days in the sun so now its back in the garage ready for some fall repairs
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 12:42am
Quick update as I finally started working on the boat again. It has just been sitting in my garage since last September. I was able to remove the propeller and strut from the boat and I disconnected the prop shaft from the transmission but I still haven't removed the prop shaft from the boat. Took the prop to a reputable repair shop in Dallas and was told it was too thin to fix and it is now a wall decoration. I just placed an order for a new Acme 542 from deltaprop and hope to have it by next weekend so that I can continue making progress on the boat. Currently have the valve covers off replacing the gaskets as well as spark plugs and wires.

Question though, when the strut bolts all fell out from the boat, the lone survivor that held in place vibrated in place on the hull of the boat enough to about double the size of the bolt hole. What is the appropriate method to go about repairing this? The three other holes appear to be fine as those bolts must have fallen out quickly. Thanks
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 1:08am
I am just now seeing your post but I am here in Lewisville and have a 89' and usually out 4-5 times a week. Hopefully we get some rain to get some water back into the lake! I do know a few secret spots that are still full of water though I haven't got around to any winter projects yet but don't really have anything major planned for once! Maybe one day we can get them out on the water together when you get her going again!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 2:31pm

What is the appropriate method to go about repairing this? The three other holes appear to be fine as those bolts must have fallen out quickly. Thanks

Mike,
   I would pull the strut altogether if you haven't already.   Put some tape on the outside of the hull and fill the hole with thickened resin.   Once the resin has cured, redrill the hole in the appropriate location.   you'll need to use the strut as a template, but if you don't want to drill through the strut, just make a cardboard template from the strut, locate it with the three good bolt holes and drill the 4th.   I don't think strength is going to be too much of an issue, but if you were worried about it, adding a couple of layers of cloth in the bilge could pull the repair together with a little more strength.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 2:46pm
Care to fill us in as to why you removed the strut?

Post a pic of the holes... I would be really hard pressed to repair a wallowed out strut bolt hole as Dreaming suggests. Some slop in those holes is normal, they dont need to be tight for any reason that I can think of. To repair with glass would require grinding off the gel in the bilge, then glassing over, then re-gelling, then redrilling the hole... thats a lot of work, and probably no need for it. Unless there is a structural problem, it can most likely be left alone. Clean up the area, test fit it for proper alignment, and bed it properly with a good sealant (5200 or 4200) when reinstalling.
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 8:52pm
I have removed the strut and just ordered new bushings for the strut from the dealer north of Dallas, should be in by next weekend. What brand/type resin would you recommend to fill the strut hole? I would like to get it taken care of this weekend hopefully so that it can all go back together next weekend. I feel as though it is necessary as I would be worried about a leak around that hole even with adhesive on the strut.

I don't have any pictures on me right now of the physical hole but you can get an idea from looking at the pictures posed on the first page. One of the pictures shows three missing bolts with one remaining bolt in place and you can see how it has moved.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 10:06pm
I agree with Tim. The holes for the strut can be pretty sloppy. You need some slop for alignment. The 4200 or 5200 will hold the strut in the proper position. Don't worry about filling the holes at this time. Dry fit and check the strut alignment to the log first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 8:54pm
finished up the new valve cover gaskets and was just looking at the prop shaft while spinning it and there is a very visible bend in the shaft where the propeller would mount to it. I am trying to see if this is even worth the headache of attempting to remove and if these prop-shafts are repairable as far as bends go. Or should I just cut this out with a saw and buy the new ARE system or are there cheaper replacements out there? thanks for any help.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 10:48pm
ARE is the way to go. If your current shaft is bent behind the strut, it's good for a pry bar & not much else.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 11:37pm

finished up the new valve cover gaskets and was just looking at the prop shaft while spinning it and there is a very visible bend in the shaft where the propeller would mount to it. I am trying to see if this is even worth the headache of attempting to remove and if these prop-shafts are repairable as far as bends go. Or should I just cut this out with a saw and buy the new ARE system or are there cheaper replacements out there? thanks for any help.
   Mike, I tried pulling my shaft coupling off the proper way last year and failed. My shaft was slightly bent and I thought I could save it. After breaking some bolts and bending the coupling on the old shaft I pulled out a cut off wheel and cut the flange off and moved forward withe the ARE shaft. The ARE is well worth the money! Get it at Skidim and ask for the USA discount( 10%) if you are looking. Just FYI. Tony.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2014 at 2:57am
Ok time to bust out the Diablo saw blades and go to town on this prop shaft then. Looking at the coupling, it is quite rusted to the shaft and key so I'm not even going to bother. What is the proper length ARE drive shaft I need for this or do I actually need to measure the old one after I cut it out?
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2014 at 11:28am
Mike, there are standard lengths for whatever year and make boat you have. Just tell whoever you purchase it through what you have and they will get you set up. Also look up the FAQ section on here about properly lapping in a new prop or old prop on new shaft. Tony.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2014 at 2:11pm
A standard length shaft will work, but I would highly recommend measuring the distance from your trans output coupler to the aft end of the strut, add 1/2" and tell them that's where you want the forward end of the prop hub to end up. Every boat is built a little different and most "stock" shaft lengths end up being too long to accommodate this. Clearances of 1-1.5" (or more) are common, and there is just no reason for that. Keep clearance at 1/2" and not only will performance improve, but so will longevity/reliability of the shaft and bushing due to the smaller overhung load.
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 7:56pm
just an update, last week I cut off the old prop shaft and removed it. It was quite bent after the strut. Ordered the new A.R.E. shaft system which just came in the mail yesterday so now I have a fancy new Acme 542 and drive shaft to install.

I took the strut over to the Nautique dealer and they looked at the strut and said it had a very slight bend and that once they are bent they are not repairable... I then took the strut to the prop repair shop and the owner is quite confident he can repair the strut and replace the bearings inside of it.

Looking at the log and stuffing box, I do not see any visible damage to anything. I did cut off the rubber hose part on the drive shaft seal so I'm going to have to replace that and replace the packing material as well.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A standard length shaft will work, but I would highly recommend measuring the distance from your trans output coupler to the aft end of the strut, add 1/2" and tell them that's where you want the forward end of the prop hub to end up. Every boat is built a little different and most "stock" shaft lengths end up being too long to accommodate this. Clearances of 1-1.5" (or more) are common, and there is just no reason for that. Keep clearance at 1/2" and not only will performance improve, but so will longevity/reliability of the shaft and bushing due to the smaller overhung load.

Tim, that's just answered my question on a separate thread, looks like I need to install my strut and measure up before ordering a new shaft.

Presumably the shaft length should include the full length of the coupling, and not that of the thread.
Length of the taper should be exactly that of the prop?

Thanks
'82 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 8:21pm

I took the strut over to the Nautique dealer and they looked at the strut and said it had a very slight bend and that once they are bent they are not repairable... I then took the strut to the prop repair shop and the owner is quite confident he can repair the strut and replace the bearings inside of it.

Of course they are going to tell you it's not repairable. Guess what, I have a feeling they wanted to sell you a new strut!! This is only one reason that going to a dealer should be your ABSOLUTE LAST option!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 8:31pm

Of course they are going to tell you it's not repairable. Guess what, I have a feeling they wanted to sell you a new strut!! This is only one reason that going to a dealer should be your ABSOLUTE LAST option!!

Indeed mine was bent like a banana before I sent it over to the US for john to fix
'82 Ski Tique
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 10:10pm

well the real cool part was when they told me when you push the bearing out of the strut, it removes a layer of metal and then new bearings just rotate inside the strut... they said they recommend replacing the strut anytime it requires new bearings inside it...
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 10:14pm

well the real cool part was when they told me when you push the bearing out of the strut, it removes a layer of metal and then new bearings just rotate inside the strut... they said they recommend replacing the strut anytime it requires new bearings inside it...

WOW, what are they smoking at that dealer? I have NEVER EVER heard such BS!! They must like selling struts!! Did they bother or even know what the fit tolerance is?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2014 at 12:30am
Fit tolerance was never mentioned. He just showed me where inside of the strut there are two bearings and that one of them had moved forward towards the other bearing and come off the set screw (figure this is most likely do to the "incident")

When I took the strut to the prop repair shop, the owner took a look at it and said it was slightly tweaked to the side but said there was no sign of stretching or compression. Hopefully he will call me back with good news!!
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 1:43am

Just an update. Picked up the repaired strut last week, James Propeller in Dallas did a great job on it. Got it nice and strait and installed new bearing inside it. Cleaned up very well with some slight pitting (figure that is normal for 30 years).

So I now have the new ARE shaft, new 542 prop and redone strut with bearings. I am ordering new shaft packing for the shaft seal and a new hose for the shaft seal.

Now before I put this all back together, I need to address the damage done to the underside of the boat when the strut was vibrating around under it. In the pictures you can see the enlarged bolt hole for the strut hole. There is also damage just behind where the strut mounts. I am trying to see what the best method for fixing this is. Do I need to grind it down and apply new gelcoat to it? I am not very concerned with how it looks cosmetically as it will be under the boat, so color match is not a concern. I just want to make sure it is fixed and not going to lead to more problems.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 4:13am
Can you let me know where you will source the shaft hose from please?
I ordered some from skidim a while back and it and it was no good, wrong id, not wire reinforced, only 3 ply
'82 Ski Tique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:48am
The shaft log hose that SkiDIM sells is fine. There was nothing special about the original hose- it was pretty thin, not wire reinforced, etc. You do want the 1.5" and not the typical 1.75", as they mention on their website.

I cant tell exactly how damaged the keel is on the aft end of the strut base, but it doesnt look serious. The hull is very thick, that damage isnt a structural concern. I would rough up the area in question with some sand paper, clean it with acetone and then try to reshape the strut recess using some thickened resin. Follow with gelcoat if youre concerned with cosmetics.
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 11:10pm
Just a quick update, finally got the boat put all back together and got to test it out on lake Lewisville north of Dallas this past weekend. The new 542 prop is awesome behind the boat. Everything went great until about 7pm the RPMS started shuttering up and down so I turned it off. Come to find out the transmission leaked all of its fluid out and what little remained inside it looked like a milk shake. Figure its the oil cooler leaking fluid into the fresh water, so a new one is in the mail thanks to SKIDIM.

We were able to get a tow from a very friendly gentlemen in his nice new Super Air Nautique. It was a little sad to have to get towed back after such a great day on the water, but we should be back out this weekend and hopefully will make it out AND back under our own power!

shot of a buddy behind the boat on Saturday

'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 8:19pm
So got the new cooler installed on the transmission and took the boat out on the water yesterday for a test. No more milky transmission but still lost all the fluid.... lots of transmission fluid in the bilge of the boat. Luckily we took plenty of spare fluid out with us so we just floated the boat in a cove and floated for a few hours before bringing the boat back in.

After doing some reading last night, it appears it is not that uncommon for the transmission seal to leak the ATF fluid out and it appeared that the fix involved pulling the transmission. A friend and I successfully got the transmission out of the boat in about 2 hour this afternoon with proper rehydration brakes here and there. It appears that the transmission was leaking into the bell housing.

So who can recommend someone to send this thing to? DFW area? I saw mention of Eric Lavine on the forums specializing in rebuilding these. Hoping to not be out of the lake game for too long. Thanks for any help!!

'83 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic