Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which spark plug wires for HEI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 5:45am
You want wires with the least resistance. I would suggest Call Southeaast Correct 407 851 1965 ask for Woodie. They had a couple, if you use the old one I would have a machine shop do it. there is a clearance issue to consider.
SS 201
klinger_2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 12:47pm
SS-201, does southeast correct craft have the gear, or the wires? Whoever i talked to at perf. distributors said that they used to get gears from prestolite, and he also thought that it should work. Just have to wait and see i guess. Thanks
Sky up, water down, or complete the rotation!!

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 2:22pm
Be carefull with that gear it's hardend and pretty tuff stuff to machine. And pay attaintion to the type of oil pump drive it has, hex or slot, if it's a hex then it's part of the gear and if its a slot it will be the shaft and may have different I.D.'s on each end of the gear. Hopefully it's simple and all you have to do is drive out the roll-bin, which you will want to drive out just enough to clear the dist shaft and not completetly out, re-assembly is much easier this way. Also there maybe a dimple on side of the gear that should inline with the tip of the electrode of the rotor.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 7:26pm
The oil pump drive on a 351W is a hex 5/16. I've been through that before.
78 Nautique

If you're going to do it...
Do it in a boat
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 10:08pm
OK,
I just decided to H3LL with it. I found a new Prestolite points distributor for a good deal and I'm ordering an EI conversion kit from Skidim. Kevin, let me know how your DUI turns out. I really hope I'm wrong but everything I've researched indicates the DUI/HEI is a GM platform modified to fit the Ford. If that's the case then the Ford 351 dist. shaft would be larger diameter than the DUI. Why can't it all be compatable? It's like trying to make an Apple talk to an IBM! You can do it, but it's ulgy.

78 Nautique

Do it in a boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2006 at 3:46am
I hope your not right, cuz i really want the distributor to work, but if you are then i have some fun cut out for me in trying to find the right gear. I had my boat running for the first time on the lake this year, and it ran pretty good with the points, so i guess if the DUI doesn't work then i can still ski with the current set up.... I will let everyone know if it works or not. Have a good one.

Kevin

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2006 at 8:10am
Originally posted by tjackle tjackle wrote:

OK,
I just decided to H3LL with it. I found a new Prestolite points distributor for a good deal and I'm ordering an EI conversion kit from Skidim. Kevin, let me know how your DUI turns out. I really hope I'm wrong but everything I've researched indicates the DUI/HEI is a GM platform modified to fit the Ford. If that's the case then the Ford 351 dist. shaft would be larger diameter than the DUI. Why can't it all be compatable? It's like trying to make an Apple talk to an IBM! You can do it, but it's ulgy.

You're right- the Performance Distributors DUI is a GM based unit, modified for the Ford. If you read their website, they mention that stock GM HEI parts (coil, ignition module) will drop in as replacements.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2006 at 12:09am
GM never made a base, housing or casting for a small block ford. Someone else did and in the same since they where also smart enough to change the shaft diameter as well and maybe there was a tip off posted earlier that DUI got there gears from prestolite for the reverse rotation engines, and maybe the three or four other people that are using it already might ease some peoples minds but then again maybe not. Seems pretty stupid to buy a point dist then get a conversion kit. The DUI unit works fine and the geat isn't an issue, even if you don't like the DUI unit or are worried, an Electronic Dist is the way to go, beside why buy a new point dist when that what's already on the engine, not to smart to me.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2006 at 11:29am
Like I said before, the bushings are worn pretty good in my current distributor (it wobbles). Now I'm sure I could get a bushing kit for it and find someone to rebuild it but I got this one for pretty cheap (and it's a new Prestolite). I really wanted a DUI for my boat but I'm tired of not being able to find what will work. I can't see how you say thet the gear isn't an issue. IT IS THE ISSUE! I wouldn't have a problem just changing gears if one was available.
Now I know 3 or 4 other people are useing DUI's and that's why I called Performance Dist. They said they can't get the gears anymore. We'll see what happens when Kevin gets his in. I hope everything works fine but for me, I've decided to go with an EI. Now I could order a new EI for $350 or I can go the route I'm going (and yes, I'm using ALL MARINE PARTS) and only spend $150. That Doesn't sound stupid to me.

78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2006 at 12:50pm
Let me add that it may be cheaper to rebuild/replace the bushings on my current dist. but I've never done that before. Besides, if there's one thing I've learned about owning a boat is that its always a good idea to have a spare!
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2006 at 9:07am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

... beside why buy a new point dist when that what's already on the engine, not to smart to me.

Well, I replaced my point distributor with a point distributor for about $55.00, then immediately sold the boat. Let me tell you that the engine never ran so good once that old worn out distributor was gone. Point type distributors will work fine if you keep them up. If I kept the boat, I would have converted the distributor to electronic and saved a few bucks. The cheapest electronic marine distributor (new) that I found was $240.00. Not a bad deal, but more money than I wanted to put into the boat just so I could sell it.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2006 at 5:18pm
That's kinda the point I had. New vs. 28 years old and no telling how many hours. Honestly probably thousands.
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:28am
if your just fixing it because your selling it then ya go as cheap as possible, but if your going to use it yourself, then I tend to spend a little more for piece of mind and not have to have a tool box in the boat. If i was looking at the DUI unit and the gear was the issue then I would be pulling the dist I have, removing the gear and mic the shaft diameter and see if it matches the DUI unit, the odds that prestolite made a special gear for DUI is slim and none and they are the same.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:49am
There will be no selling this boat. Been in my family for 28 years. I've got my dist. and EI kit coming. I'll let you know how I like it. I hope Kevin can just swap gears and be done with it. If that's the case and I end up not liking the route I've chosen... I'll just get the DUI. It's only money.

and I thought everybody kept a toolbox in the boat.
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:59am
small screw drive and a small adjustable is all that has ever beem on mine.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 11:10am
yeh, me too and a small hammer until I replaced the old corroded carb. I used the hammer to beat on the fuel bowl to dislodge the corrosion particles from the needle seat
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 3:00pm
Well, I keep enough tools to rebuild the carb, replace the waterpump impeller, hell just about anything... cause when you lock through the dam to meet your buddies on the low side then cruise down river a couple hours, you want to be prepared for everything. My Dad taught me that. It's saved my butt more than once.
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 6:31pm
Yeah, i like to carry plenty of stuff as well, not cuz i need it, but cuz i feel better. Plus i have helped fix many other peoples boats that were stuck on the water..

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 9:05am
I guess all of the years boating with my Dad taught me that if the boat's not in top running order then you don't need to be going out. I don't recall ever seeing a tool box on my Dad's boat or mine for that matter, I've had issue on mine when a new coil (second time out) going out and the prop shaft snaping in two the other time and having tools on board wouldn't have made a different in either case.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 10:51am
All my two strokes (jetski and outboards) have a plug wrench and spare spark plugs in them at all times, the inboard has jumper cables. Of course my lake is only a mile wide by ten miles long worst case scenario in the summer is a swim to the nearest friend/family members place.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 12:28pm
I carry a few tools but not too much. Our first rule is to always go up river...if anything happens (and it has) you always eventually float home. Rule 2 is always bring more cold ones than you expect to need.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 12:45pm
On the lake its always upwind instead of upriver, but it has two advantages, a lot easier to paddle back and somewhere up there there is a at least a few feet of glass calm water...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 10:09am
[QUOTE=tjackle]   I think the DUI is going to be .491 and the stock marine I think is .530. Anybody know for sure?

Well, I know for sure now that the stock Prestolite marine distributor shaft is .530. I mic'd it yesterday when I replaced mine with my new EI.
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 6:29pm
I used an automotive plug wire set specified for a 454 Chevy big block when I converted to the HEI. The wire lengths are almost perfect. The 351 W Ford is a little larger than the small block chevy so that's why I went with the big block application. Make sure you specify it's to be used on an HEI so you get the right ends to go on the distributor ('74 - '77 are the years). One other thing,...before you "stab" the new distributor, do this first. Set the #1 cylinder/piston to it's firing position then stab the distributor into it's hole, turning the shaft so that the rotor points closest to the direction of the #1 cylinder. That way your shortest wire will reach the #1 cylinder with no problem. Any brand of high quality spiral wound cables is good. I used Moroso Blue Max. I like the color blue.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 6:37pm
Nuttyskier, I already built my cables myself this time, but this is a good tip for when it comes time to replace them. Do you have the wires running over the valve covers or under the exhaust manifolds? Id love to see a pic!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 7:25pm
Under the valve covers,...wanted it to look as neat as possible. That's why I need the big block wire set. I am also using 2 sets of those Moroso wire separators (plastic). They are availible at Summit. So are the wires.

Former boats:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 7:25pm
I meant to say under the manifolds,....sorry!

Former boats:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 11:10pm
Well guys, its been a long day, but I finally have it all done. So for the first question that many have been waiting for, the gear off my prestolite clip down will work on the DUI unit with slit modification. The shaft size is the same on both distributors, but the hole in the gear is slightly different. I took the two gears to a machine shop and had them drill a different hole in the gear, turned 90 degrees. The height of the hole is the problem, and i wanted it to be exactly right, so that is why I had it done. It "may" of worked as is, but i didn't want to chance that. I used Moroso Blue Max wires, but went with the yellow color instead of blue. I also got a red dist. cap on my DUI. I had it running in the shed, just enough to time it while dumping water in, but hopefully will get it to the drink tomorrow and "test" it with a good slalom set!!!! Oh yeah, it cost me ten whole dollars to have the hole put in the right spot, so it really wasn't a big deal. My gear with 975 hours showed almost NO wear at all, so that was also good. I will try and get some pictures of my boat and motor etc. in the diaries in the next few days. Oh yeah, one last thing, on a 1985 ski natique 2001, the gray/silver wire on the coil is the tach wire, its on the same side of the coil as the wire that runs to the distributor. If anyone has questions please ask!!! I will report back as soon as i get it on the water and ski behind it!!!
Good luck

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 4:37pm
Good to hear!!!
78 Nautique

Do it in a boat
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2006 at 11:25pm

Been a good post,learned alot and maybe in my future since I have protec system.Course mine is standard rotation.It will be a bit easier.I thought it was gonna be this spring but just had connection trouble.

Goodluck Munday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic