NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hole in Boat 🤢- UPDATE

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2022 at 7:43pm
Certainly meaning no offense, but neither am I going to patronize.

My preference, regardless of the audience, has been Ski Nautiques. I admire them for their design and over-the-water performance more than any other attributes. In my experience (perhaps different than yours), I find them to be built to the standards of the day. I still like them. I buy them. I restore them, and tinker with them like many here. 

I hope we can be friends...Big smile
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2022 at 9:57am
Originally posted by OldSchoolBlue84 OldSchoolBlue84 wrote:

Hey guys hope all is going well and having a good Easter weekend. I noticed a slight crack and of course picked at it like a scab. You guys think gel coat repair kit will be able to fill the void entirely to surface? Or should I use some sort of epoxy filler and then gel repair over that? Appreciate the help! Thanks everyone.

First off that is common across all fiberglass parts in sharp corners/edges especially in a production part.
Unless a brand new nautique is vacuum infused you'd find them there as well.

My opinion is thickened epoxy in a small syringe, shove the syringe into the hole as far as possible 2, 3, 4 times or as many times it takes until your confident the air has been pushed out.

Ive done it many times using west 610 injected with a mixing tip directly into the syringe filling it up, putting the plunger in and repeating the process.

The 610 has a 45 minute work time, it cleans up easy, it sands easy, it's consistent and waterproof.
One stop into west marine or maybe even amazon and you've got all your materials to do this.

Personally don't like marine tex at all 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2022 at 5:27pm
It's been a while Dan, I thought maybe you were out on safari somewhere Wink
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2022 at 6:49pm
My guess is 'Ol Kostas overheated the spot while waxing or polishing that boat. Wink Dude starts twitching when birds fly over.. its awkward and makes me feel bad when I look at mine. 
I vote #3 cause its cheap and easy and was probably my idea. 
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2022 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

My guess is 'Ol Kostas overheated the spot while waxing or polishing that boat. Wink Dude starts twitching when birds fly over.. its awkward and makes me feel bad when I look at mine. 
I vote #3 cause its cheap and easy and was probably my idea. 

Haha your so correct! I have issues taking care of “old” stuff vs “new” ☺️

wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2022 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by OldSchoolBlue84 OldSchoolBlue84 wrote:

Spoke with few shops and vendors all concluded air void as well during layup at the factory…below are the 3 options I’m considering after talking with them. Little concern with option #1 and #2 with sanding. Figure I share this information incase anyone else comes across this thread….

Option #1:
- 700 Vinyl Ester Resin
- Aerosil-Cabosil thickening agent
- 1/32” Milled Fiber powder
- Polyester Pure White Gelcoat
- Surface Wax (Mod-C) additive

Option #2:
- Fasco 110 Epoxy Glue, 2 part putty
- Aerosil-Cabosil thickening agent
- White Gelcoat Pigment

Option #3:
- USC Duraglas Fiberglass Filled Filler
- Spectrum Jupiter Patch Paste Kit

So i went back and read all the posts instead of being lazy reading the first few.
Time money and end result are your considerations ;

Option 1 will cost 100 150 bucks because you cant get those items in small supplies and theres no mention of the consumables need to pull that off, no mention of how much time it'll take either.

Option 2 never heard of that epoxy or what quantities it comes in but when cabosil and gelcoat are mentioned we're back at some cost and consumables again. Don' t forget mixing to consisency and the mess in all 3 options.

Option 3 is to thick all that will happen is a surface repair with an air bubble behind it. Also think it's a bondo product so it mixes that way dries fast, no working time too thick to smoodge in there etc etc.

The west 610 is 2 part epoxy in a tube already thickened but very workable, it comes with a static mixer, 
Pull the plunger on a west marine sryinge stick the static mixer in there fill the syringe pulling the static tip out to minimize mess and air bubbles, insert the syringe deep as it can go and slowly fill the void. Repeat the procss with the  syringe all the way in until obviously it doesnt need to go that far then slowly fill the rest of the void.
No mess, only consumable is the static tip and plastic syringe.
Let it dry over night, wash wipe the blush off with a rag from the kitchen sink, scuff it with 80 grit and it will take gelcoat, if you want it finished.
Out the door in 15 minutes( overnight to dry) for under 50 bucks, no mess, no pouring, no mixing, no measuring, no dangerous fumes (vynil ester)
No breathing fumed silica or whatever the hell it is (cabosil).

If i had a hole other than the one in my head a picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

Keno, ive been way out on safari way over there but now just way under the radar for a bit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2022 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by wayoutthere wayoutthere wrote:

Option 1 will cost 100 150 bucks because you cant get those items in small supplies and theres no mention of the consumables need to pull that off, no mention of how much time it'll take either.

Option 2 never heard of that epoxy or what quantities it comes in but when cabosil and gelcoat are mentioned we're back at some cost and consumables again. Don' t forget mixing to consisency and the mess in all 3 options.

Option 3 is to thick all that will happen is a surface repair with an air bubble behind it. Also think it's a bondo product so it mixes that way dries fast, no working time too thick to smoodge in there etc etc.

Option 1 - US Composites (qts) - $56.85 + $24.26 (S&H) = $81.11

Option 2 - US Composites (qts) - $42.00 + $22.24 (S&H) = $64.24

Option 3 - Duraglass (Amazon) $32.50 + Gelcoat (Spectrum) $45.56 + $9.00 (S&H) = $87.06

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the help. I included prices for each option. At this point I don’t care on costs as long as it’s done correctly. Plus love my wife who gives me an unlimited budget on her baby!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2022 at 8:59pm
We have reached the summit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2022 at 10:17pm
Thanks everyone for the help…..got her done in time to start the season….it’s not perfect but lake worthy 😊

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic