NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 2:32pm
Is it just me or Has anyone noticed the 1968 Brochure that the gas cap is off and riding on the back of the boat or are my eye's playing tricks on me?

Paul,

Is that what it is?
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 2:38pm
312, Was it the 68 Mustang picture? I think what you may be seeing is the deck glass viewing window that you would look through to see the gas gauge on top of the tank. What's on your 67?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LakeHoliday View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 4:50pm
I really appreciate all the info so far from everyone. It has been very helpful. I'm making the drive tomorrow to pick up the '67 Mustang. I can't wait to get it home and on the lake.

First thing, I'll need a cover. Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive cover that will fit the Mustang? Well, I know lots of places to get them... but what would you recommend and part number?

Thanks,
Brice
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 6:37pm
Brice, Are you looking for a cover for storage or trailering?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 6:48pm
Here's a couple of clearance bar pictures-
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/garys_01/Picture001.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/garys_01/Picture002.jpg
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brice, Are you looking for a cover for storage or trailering?

Ahh... hadn't thought about that. Probably both. Is it going to tear it up too much if I trailer it home tomorrow without a cover? I know I'll need a cover to keep the sun off of it as the lift I'm getting isn't covered.

Thanks,
Brice
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Here's a couple of clearance bar pictures-
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/garys_01/Picture001.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/garys_01/Picture002.jpg

Fantastic photos! If you can, what is the diameter, length of the flat ends, and stainless or aluminum?

I don't suppose anyone has one of these laying around they aren't using?

Thanks again!
- Brice
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 10:53pm
Brice

Since you work in Indy Indy Marine will make anything you want.

They made all my seats and road cover.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2007 at 6:57am
Brice, For trailering the cover must be a very high quality and be custom fit otherwise you have problems getting it tight enough so it doesn't flap in the wind. Even with the best cover, you may get some scuffing of the boat and is the reason I do not cover my wooden boats when trailering. Some of our wood boat people go all the way and have their custom covers fleece lined! To cover the boat on the lift, a generic cover will work. They come in the basic style / shape of the boat and then the length. You may want to look into a canopy for the lift.

The rope bar is a stock stainless profile at Taco marine however I don't know if you can get it without screw holes on 6" ctrs. without special ordering it. Do the search for Taco marine and give them a call.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2007 at 7:54am
Brice

The actual name of the custom boat tops,covers and upholstery shop is Smitty's Indianapolis Marine.
Their phome number is 317-545-4646 and ask for Steve Smith.
They do most of the custom work for the local dealers including the local CC dealer.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 3:02pm
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I went yesterday to look at her and I am now the proud owner of a 1967 Correct Craft Mustang! By the way, yes... this is my FIRST boat. I'm glad I did my research and found this forum and that Mustang on here.

Brian did a wonderful job in the work he did and was excellent when it came to supplying me details and photos before I made the drive up there. Thank you Brian for everything!

The trailer is the original 1967 Correct Craft trailer and it did a wonderful job getting my new baby home for me (I pulled her home uncovered to be safe). I did have a bit of trouble with one tire deciding it didn't need any tread left on it (it sort of blew itself apart but it didn't hit the boat) but made it the rest of the way safely on the spare.

We launched her this morning on the lake here. I have some pics of the whole family on her maiden voyage I'll have to upload later.

Question... this boat revs way fast up past 5,500 RPM if I'm not careful. It has what I believe to be the original prop on it (12x12) but I do have a 12x14 that I can put on it to give it a try. Will that help keep the RPMs under 4,500 or so and what else could I expect to get from going to that pitch? I suspect when the 302 Interceptor was put in here... it wasn't a stock 302. It idles a bit high (and is running a bit rich) so I need to figure out how to adjust the 650cfm Holley 4BBL that's on there. Any tips?

I love this boat. The pics you've all seen don't do her justice. I'm sure my neighbors are happy I waited until about noon before putting her in the water though. hehe

'67 Correct Craft Mustang... in one word... WOW!!!

- Brice
1967 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 5:19pm
Congratulations!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 7:05pm
LakeHoliday,Sounds like you have too much carb on that pony.650cfm is a tad much for a stock 302.The hi idle may be covering up a over rich idle prob.
12x14 may be a bit much also,13 will be more in the ballpark.Also possible tach reading too hi.
Holley makes a 450 cfm just for the 302,kinda pricey but worth the bucks.I bought one less than a year ago,bolted it on adj, idle mixture, and got a smooth 400rpm idle.Well worth the purchase price, also instant start, added bonus......boat dr
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 8:11pm
Thanks boat dr. I do have a 12x13 as well. I'll give that a try. I did adjust the idle and got it down to about 600 RPM but no lower. It does run smooth but still seems like a bit too much carb.

Anyway, here is a photo of her maiden voyage here on our lake.

I had a blast today. This is too much fun!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 9:48pm
Brice,
Congrats on the "new" ride! ....gotta love those ol CCs!..
   btw, Where do you live? ...that boat was in Rockford IL , wasnt it?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 10:19pm
Great looking Mustang Brice! It looks like the Powder Blue color shown in one of the brochures. You asked about several issues: The prop, like Doc mentioned is a little light at 12x12. Depending on healthy the 302 is, i.e., whether it's stock internally or not, the 12x13 may be a little small pitch-wise as well. A two barrel 302 came with a 12x13 while the 200+HP 302s came with 12x14s. The correct prop in your case will typically be the one that actually lets the boat, NOT THE ENGINE, run the fastest mph-wise. Remember that increased rpm does not always correlate with increased mph when comparing props, especially when it results in the engine turning beyond it's designed power band. I agree with you or whoever noted that 4500 was a good starting target, and then test from there. Like your old bone stock 5.0 Mustang car, if you road-coursed it with 4:10 gears, it probably wouldn't perform as well/quick as it did with the stock 2.73s/3.08s or similar, unless you did engine mods and increased/raised the power band. I had several 5.0 GTs back in the day as well, and now get my performance fix from the boats and several 302s there as well.

Oh, the carb. If it's indeed running rich, you'll probably notice the transom getting a black film from the exhaust. The Holley has the two idle mix screws on either side. Here's the method I've always adhered too as opinions differ and since no one's spoken up yet: with the engine idling, screw one screw in at a time slowly until you hear the idle start to drop, then back off 3/4 turn. Then run the rpms up higher and water testing is best. If and when you pull the throttle back quickly and the engine shuts off, you may need to back the screws out slightly more. It's a fine balance, but I like having the carb to (1)where the engine won't shut off when decelerated quickly, (2)doesn't always need a pump of the throttle to start when warm, and (3)doesn't coat the transom with smut. And while a 650cfm carb (can't recall how we determined exactly what size it was) is a little large for stock, it won't kill him will it Doc, and esp if if runs good?                 
ReidP
1973 Mustang

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 10:51pm
I have a 302 with 220 hp. I bought a new federal prop that was a 12 x 14 . It let my boat run up to 4800 rpm , somewhere reel close to 47 mph . I would recomend your 12x14.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 11:03pm
Reidp, no the large cfm will not kill him, but it may keep the secondaries from opening.Not enough venturi effect to pull them open............boat dr
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:59am
Very nice.

Looks great on the water!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 9:49am
62 wood, this '67 Mustang's new home is in Crawfordsville, IN on Lake Holiday.

It was originally sold on December 1, 1967 and yes, it's Powder Blue (original). She has a few nicks and scrapes but being the same age (within a few months depending on the actual date of her construction)... so do I. The two of us are a good match.

reidp, I'll try your suggestions on adjusting the carb and I might try the 12x14 first then just to see how it does. It's a beautiful prop and it would be a shame not to at least give it a try. Brian had this listed as 180 HP based on what others had told him, but I seriously doubt that with the 302 Interceptor, the Edelbrock F4B intake and Holley 4BBL carb on it (by the way it doesn't sound like a stock cam either)... it's putting out only 180 HP. Any guesses at to what this engine is most likely putting out (just a guess) not knowing all the internals?

By the way, after the two hours I put on her yesterday (mostly running around 4,200 RPM which sucked down about $35 in gas - hehe) I didn't notice any black film on the transom from the exhaust so maybe it's not running rich afterall. Yes, I did enough idling around as well. Anyway, do all you folks have your own personal gas stations at your dock?

...and thanks to everyone on the congrats. Not bad for a "first" boat is it? I LOVE IT!!!

For those of you wondering... yes, I'm going to keep her as original as possible (with the exception of the engine). At some point, I'll get the seats finished in the original dark blue. I have the original rear seat and cushions so I can match the seat colors.

Thanks,
Brice
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 10:07am
That's a great boat. Solid color, split glass windshield, gas pedal. Looks great in the water. Good luck!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 12:43pm
Thanks Riley.

Tonight when I get home I'll get the numbers off the Holley carb so we all know exactly which one it is we're talking about. I'm also going to try to get the prop swapped out next weekend.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2007 at 9:29am
I went and saw Steve Behl's 1977 Ski Tique yesterday. It's a *beautiful* boat and he did a wonderful job on the restoration. Also, Steve... thanks for letting me borrow your prop puller!

Question, his seats are on the original metal frames and look identical to what I've seen on some '67 and '68 Mustangs in the diaries section. Did the original front seats in the '67 Mustang use these same metal frames?

Can anyone 100% identify (or post photos) of the original 1967 CC Mustang front seats and frames? I have yet to find a good photo that shows the frames and I need to know what is 100% original. Yes, I'm looking for a set of front seats, frames, photos, drawings, templates, diagrams, or whatever I can find. Once I figure out exactly what I need I'll post it in the correct section... but until then, I'm just trying to find out exactly what I need.

Thanks,
Brice
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2007 at 10:14am
Brice, Looking great!! Glad to hear another fan of originality. It is a plus in my book!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2007 at 12:19pm
Yes, I'd love to find some original seats or at least the frames.

I was hoping to get out on the lake and try out the 12x13 prop instead of the 12x12 that's on there now (my 12x14 has a crack in the hub so it won't be used). But... looks like a 20% chance of SNOW this weekend. Oh well... mid-80's to snow in a week. Gotta love Indiana weather!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2007 at 7:50pm
Brice- Great looking boat,I think you'll be very happy with it.I'm running a Holley 450 on mine with a 12x12 that I had repitched to 13.It runs to 5200,but my motor has low hours on it,balanced and ARP bolts on the rods and mains.Here is another picture of the back of my boat where the clearance bar mounts-
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/garys_01/Picture-1.jpg
It's hard to measure the width of it since it's curved,but over the top it's 7/8", across the bottom it's 3/4. The flats are 2". On the picture of the rear deck of my boat the screws that are farthest apart are 24 1/4" the inner set of screws are 1 1/4" in from them. The whole bar is centered over the stern light and is made of stainless.If you need any other measurements,let me know
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2007 at 11:01pm
Brice,
I dont see you signed up for Green Lake yet! You gotta make it up there!

As for fuel consumption...once you get her dialed in , it shouldnt be much worse than a big outboard.....unless you keep that 4bbl open!
Now lets get signed up for the reunion!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Brice- Great looking boat,I think you'll be very happy with it.I'm running a Holley 450 on mine with a 12x12 that I had repitched to 13.It runs to 5200,but my motor has low hours on it,balanced and ARP bolts on the rods and mains.Here is another picture of the back of my boat where the clearance bar mounts-
It's hard to measure the width of it since it's curved,but over the top it's 7/8", across the bottom it's 3/4. The flats are 2". On the picture of the rear deck of my boat the screws that are farthest apart are 24 1/4" the inner set of screws are 1 1/4" in from them. The whole bar is centered over the stern light and is made of stainless.If you need any other measurements,let me know
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 10:45am
I want to start out by saying... I won't be able to make it to Green Lake this year. But... I'll be thinking about everyone there and *expect* to see LOTS of photos!

Speaking of photos... thanks to everyone so far who has helped by posting photos or pointing me to photos that have helped me!

Okay, so I had the '67 Mustang out on the lake a couple weekends ago for two hours. We had a blast. The temps were up in the 80's and it was wonderful. However, the last couple days (and the rest of this weekend) we are under a freeze advisory and night temps dropping into the low 20's. I drained the water from all the drains I could find (two on each exhaust manifold and one on the port side of the engine block) and placed a 100-watt lightbulb (clamp lamp without the reflector as it wouldn't fit) underneath the engine clamped to one of the motor mounts to help keep temps inside the engine compartment above freezing as I'm sure I can't locate all the drains yet. I did find this excellent post here on winterizing: Link to post 5091 but for the life of me I can't find them all so I'm hoping the lightbulb idea works (seems to as the temp inside the engine compartment is up in the 40s with the outside ambiant temp in the 20s. Am I safe???

Anyone else de-winterized thier boats only to have "winter" come back a couple weeks later?

Anyway, I still can't identify the engine. I was told (no reason not to believe it) that the original 289 Interceptor was swapped out with a 302 Interceptor sometime in the 70's. From the photo on Page 2 of this topic, can anyone help identify more pieces/parts? It has an Edelbrock F4B intake with a Holley 600cfm mounted on top. The exhaust manifolds say "OSCO" on the sides which I believe were aftermarket (can someone confirm this?). How do I know exactly what engine is in this boat? What can you all tell me about the 302 Interceptor and Where "should" I be able to find casting numbers on the block?

Also, I think one of the problems I'm having with the engine only wanting to start when the boat is level is that there is no wedge under the new Holley 4160 600cfm 4bbl carb. This is probably causing a lot of problems I don't even know about yet as it has to be pretty tilted until I get up on plane. Right?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 10:56am
there are 6 drain plugs, two in the block, one each for the exhaust, the elbow has one and the tranny cooler has the last one.

the 600 cfm carb is too big for a 302 motor, the fact that is doesn't have a wedge plate is BS and will have no effect on how well it runs or start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic