Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Exhaust Hoses

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:54pm
Hey dr thanks for the rear seat info! I thought that those lags looked stock.Glad I asked before I filled those holes!
kevinindy
coltsphan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coltsphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:59pm
How do I determine which my motor rotates? Thanks.
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 1:07am
Originally posted by coltsphan coltsphan wrote:

It should say On the valve covers. The fireing order also gives...LH...RH...
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

It should say On the valve covers. The fireing order also gives...LH...RH...

Instead of trying to figure out the firing order which requires looking it up, hopefully the boat has a prop on it! Look from the rear. It will be a RR if the prop rotates clockwise in forward.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 1:46pm
Good idea....dont forget about the 1.23 trans. how it is reversed. LH engine RH output.
74SkiNautique
coltsphan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coltsphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 2:56pm
Great idea. However the engine is torn down and getting sent out for machining. I guess I will check the valve covers.

Thanks!
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 3:49pm
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 3:53pm
Sorry to get off topic! Here is pics of mi copper pipe.I cleaned it with my die grinder and a 3m scotch pad.I call it a gasket remover.It took about 10 minutes to get the entire pipe and another 5min sanding by hand to get the bulk of the swirls out.I finished with 2 coates of engine clear to hopefully keep it looking clean.There is before and after pics.
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 4:45pm
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/kev00692/boat%20pipe/
kevinindy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 11:53pm
Kevin, did you get my email.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 11:56pm

Great idea. However the engine is torn down and getting sent out for machining. I guess I will check the valve covers.

Thanks!

On mine, the engine info plate says R in big letters. I assume this is the engine rotation.
74SkiNautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2008 at 2:32am
74 yes thanks for your email! The boat dr. pretty much described what you built as to what came in my boat from the factory!Thanks again I really appreciate it!Kevin
kevinindy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2008 at 2:48am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

74SN, Excellent thread! Ya get those hoses off yet?

No, I spent so much time reading all these non-related posts, I forgot to take my pipes off. I'll try again tomorrow.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2008 at 3:00am
I got all the hoses off today and completed reinstallation on the port side. Looks great. Better than factory, the factory hoses had two big kinks in them. The front hose was about 70% blocked. I will send pictures if you want. I just need your email. I cant figure out how to post a picture in my text!!!
74SkiNautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2008 at 9:49am
Which hose did you buy? My front hoses that connect to the manifolds both had pretty nasty kinks as well! I thought that the p.o. just did not slide the hose on far enough but he might have used the wrong hose for that first section that makes the bend.
kevinindy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2008 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

Which hose did you buy? My front hoses that connect to the manifolds both had pretty nasty kinks as well! I thought that the p.o. just did not slide the hose on far enough but he might have used the wrong hose for that first section that makes the bend.

I got it drom DIM. It is Premium 3" corrugated with wire. Designed for bends over 20 degrees. THAT STUFF WAS TOUGH! My dad and I Barely got them on the manifolds AT ALL! I took pictures of the finished job. LOOKS GREAT!
74SkiNautique
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2008 at 7:06pm

I cant figure out how to post a picture in my text!!!

Chris,
Here's a good post from Randy in Ohio on posting pics:

Posting Pictures

Kurt
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Instead of trying to figure out the firing order which requires looking it up, hopefully the boat has a prop on it! Look from the rear. It will be a RR if the prop rotates clockwise in forward.

That piece of advice is all well and good when youre dealing with a boat of this era (70's), but dont forget that 89+ Nautiques with the 1.23 trans use LH engines to spin RH props.
coltsphan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coltsphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 4:04pm
Hey Kevin, my diary is up and running. I only have two pics. I will add some more soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

That piece of advice is all well and good when youre dealing with a boat of this era (70's), but dont forget that 89+ Nautiques with the 1.23 trans use LH engines to spin RH props.

Yea, I think my Grandpas 89 SN has an idler gear or something that reverses the transmissions output directioin.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 11:29pm
We are all finsihed with out exhaust replacement. The engine is MUCH louder than before because the manifold hose was about 80% blcoked due to a kink! The photos are backwards somehow, so the last picture is really the first picture. So You can click slideshow, then click reverse order! check 'em out!   

Exhaust hose pics
74SkiNautique
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:06am
I made stainless exhaust hoses sounds realy good. Just another idea for you guys.

Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 12:49am
Looks nice sam. My new hoses really made a huge difference in performance. MUCH more acceleration.
74SkiNautique
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 1:07am

Looks nice same. My new hoses really made a huge difference in performance. MUCH more acceleration.

???????????????????????

by the way, that red Crusader looks awesome!!!
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 1:16am
I think he was trying to say Sam.
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 2:52am
Sam how did you make those stainless pipes? They look great! Kevin
kevinindy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 10:05am
The Kinked hoses were blocking A LOT of exhaust and water from escaping, now, i found my self doing 40 mph, when i thot i was doing 32! Gets there much faster!
74SkiNautique
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 12:55am
I bought 4 90 degree stainless 3" bends from Jegs. Tig welded them togeter then polished. Sounds great!

Bends $50.00 each x 4

Just another recipt I dont show the wife.
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 10:11pm
Sam we need to hook-up sometime so I can check out your boat and maybe get some ideas for mine! I have the crusader engine as well and really like those stainless pipes! Kevin
kevinindy
coltsphan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coltsphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 10:16pm
Hey Kevin. You and Sam should come by. I just picked up a second 67 Mustang yesterday in Atlanta. It has all of the original parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic