NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82 nautique floor repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I have read some places where a full replacement is 2K to do it yourself, and 8-9k if you want to get ripped off..

$2k to do it yourself would be the high end, assuming youre not using composites. That would assume youre working on a larger boat (2001 or bigger), using top of the line epoxy materials, and would include new carpet, ancillaries and some tools. I think you could do a nice job for closer to $1k (not including the extra items), especially if its a smaller boat, all while using the best materials.

Im not sure I would call paying $8-9k a ripoff though. If its a quality job, thats probably a bargain! Im not in the marine business, but having done the work before, I wouldnt take on a stringer job for a paying customer for less than that! I think the $2500 stringer jobs that have been documented on here are much bigger ripoffs.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 6:04pm
I've got a pile of stuff for sale for $19.95     
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 6:53pm
Mr TR,
Yea after reading about the material, I did not see any expensive material for a full stringer job. Bad thing is, if mine are ruined, I would be to scared to do myself, and screw up something.. And I dont have the place to do it either.. I would have to shop in TX who does stringer jobs at a decent price. I am hoping when I go take pics of mine, mine are still good...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:28pm
Lee - You might want to consider doing the dirty tear down part yourself & then having someone do the rebuild work.

Other than sawing a hole thru the hull (which is repairable anyway) there isn't much to screw up on that part of the job. Some guys do the tear down outside, so you don't need a shop.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 11:56pm
Chris,
Thanks, that helps alot. I will post my stringers on here Sunday morn. Would love to get your opionion on them.. Still trying to figure out where should I take the pics to get a solid answer from my friends here at CCF.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 6:22pm
Here is what my mechanic says which I have learned alot about stringers and repair.
Stringers can be tough to diagnose. (Because you can’t see them ). Although floors and stringers usually show signs of going bad together, it doesn’t happen like that. The only way for floors or stringers to go bad is water getting on them allot. So where we usually go to see if the stringers are bad is the bilge under the motor and the area under the gas tank. These are the two areas where water collects. Its hard for the untrained eye to tell, but real simply by tapping on them with a screwdriver you can tell where soft spots are. Then you can determine whether the area can be patch fixed or you have to replace the whole stringer. It is an unwritten rule that if you have to replace the stringers, you also replace the floor. (Because it has to be removed anyway). The good news is, I hardly doubt that boat needs stringer, because of how you store it!! Thanks, Gabe
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:53pm

The good news is, I hardly doubt that boat needs stringer, because of how you store it!!

Based on this statement, I think this guy may fall in the same category as the dealerships mentioned on page 2 of this thread. Clueless!

The only way for floors or stringers to go bad is water getting on them allot.

Alot? Thats relative. I guarantee you have water below your floor. I guarantee your foam is trapping it there. I guarantee a good percentage of the wood in your structure is wet and certain parts will show signs of rot if you dig into them. No boat is immune, regardless of how you store it.

Check the motor mount bolts, check for soft spots in the floor. Pull up the rear panel and inspect everything along the bilge. Poke the stringers with a screwdriver. If everything checks out, then run the boat and stop worrying... you have plenty of time before you NEED to do the stringers... but that doesnt mean the inevitable isnt already started happening. Its just the way things are!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:54pm
Lee,
Yes it's agreed that stringer problems are hard to diagnose and the reason using a hole saw to check the suspected area was recommended.

Tapping can tell you a lot IF the glass has become delaminated from the wood. It's not always easy to tell how bad the wood is just by listening to a sound.

If rot is found, I would never recommend a patch. The water/rot is in there are just waiting to continue in another spot.

Did your mechanic tell you polyester resin is hydroscopic? Yes, that means if you have wet foam, the water will migrate into the wood. We are not talking about standing water in the bilge. If a polyester boat sits in the water, then water will even migrate through the hull. It's the reason some boats will get hull blistering. This problem is one reason we promote the use of epoxy resin. It's not hydroscopic. Epoxy barrier coats are also used to prevent and repair hull blistering on boats that do sit in the water. "AME" resin has been used on CC's for quite some time. I understand it's a polyvinyl and it too is not hydroscopic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:07pm
Lee.

I agree with TR

If you read the other posts you will find out the fact that Correct Craft DID NOT entirely encase the stringers under the floor in fiberglass. they also did not coat the wood in resin or glass on the bottom.

Additionally with vent hose failures, this was the most prone area to water in the foam and wood. Yes the dealer is right that water gets in the bilge area (the stringers are glassed well in that area.

On the 88 I am doing now 90 % of the rot was in the front area and the secondaries and supports adjacent to the engine area. I had very little rot where your dealer said it is most prone ??

My case may be different, just what I experienced.

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:17pm
We've heard about the vent hoses and battery box drains from this year range before. Both had failed in my case, but I bet they won't again...at least while I'm kickin'!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:21pm
Lee,
One more suggestion. Do not have this "mechanic" check the stringers!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:29pm
Lee, ask him if he has ever had the front floor removed from this vintage with the problems ?

Once someone opens the can of worms you begin to understand what you read in the CC FANS forums

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by 82 Nautique 1 82 Nautique 1 wrote:

Once someone opens the can of worms you begin to understand what you read in the CC FANS forums

And some of yall thought we were nuts?!!? Well, some of us may be!

My buddy around the cove from here wants to put new carpet in a '79 that is floating low in the water.   
1988 BFN-sold

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:29pm
Hey Dennis,Greg,Tr, and Pete,
I apperciate you guys responce greatly. Since this post thread has started it has made me think about my stringers, and are mine damaged. I am trying to gather as much knowledge and understand how and what damaged stringers look like. I guess what has got me complteley confused is my floor is so solid,and so intact it would not show water damage anywhere. My mechanic was just telling me that where water is stored,so this weekend I know where to take pics off and then post them and get a true opionion from the boys here at CCF. Again, thanks for replying, I guess I am worried "***************tless" if mine are warped or rotted.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:44pm
SkiCat........

Don't be worried, just be prepared. My old Tique looks terrific but I know what is likely to come for a boat of her age. Information is power! Gathering that info around here is a great way to start.......
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:49pm

I guess I am worried "***************tless" if mine are warped or rotted.

My guess is that they probably are rotten to some degree since your boat is 20+ years old. I bet 95% of 2001's are. Maybe more! Check your motor mounts. If the bolts snug up, then the engine isnt going to move around and damage the drivetrain. We've yet to see a CC snap in half due to rotten stringers- and there are some pretty bad ones out there- so dont stress out. If youre not equipped to handle a stringer job at this point, dont worry- just read all you can here and get used to the idea that you'll need to do it eventually. Its not that hard.

Remember, it could be worse. Our Skier had been rebuilt at some point with particle board. PARTICLE BOARD! The carpet was holding the floor up. Now THAT boat was in need of stringer and floor replacement!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 10:36pm
TR and Steve,
Thanks for the support! I dont want my boat falling all to hell because I didnt know about stringers. I have a nice 85 and dont want her getting stress cracks and fallen all apart.Yalls info has helped greatly. Thanks guys!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:02pm
Lee,
Nothing has been determined yet. Even if you do find some problems, keeping the boat running for a few years is certainly possible. It's the reason I brought up the alignment issue. It's key to keeping a eye on what's going on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:36pm
Pete,
Ok, Thanks! I am hoping for good news on Sunday morning. I will post those then, please let me know what you think. I am a perfectionist and believe in pre-ventative maintance. The only way to go..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic