NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woke up 84 - Purrrs like a kitten!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 10:20am
Scott did you do like snobsessed suggested and put a little fuel directly into the carb. It should fire right up and that should be enough to get the fuel pump working on it own. You might have to do this a few times before there's fuel pressure. Better hurry up it'a almost time to winterize it!!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Scott did you do like snobsessed suggested and put a little fuel directly into the carb. It should fire right up and that should be enough to get the fuel pump working on it own. You might have to do this a few times before there's fuel pressure. Better hurry up it'a almost time to winterize it!!

Alan,
Ohh yea, trying both fuel and starter fluid.
That seems to be what it's almost kicking on.
But I'm guessing carb, hard line down to pump, and into filter has completely dried out?
We had disconnected the hard line from carb and squrted a little fluid in the line, bumped ignition and it squirted, so I'm guessing pump is working.

Can someone tell me if I'm right -
Pumping throttle doesn't actually work the pump itself.
Engine needs to run in order for pump to pull fuel?

My next thought is to disconnect hard line again. Pour some fuel down from there, prime Filter thru top screw vent holes, and then try some air pressure (like someone mentioned) to see if it'll push fuel full all the way from tank to carb?
I'm hoping that if entire line is primed, and it kicks, the fuel will flow.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

This may sound dumb, but do you have a fuel shut-off?

No shut-off on these things that I ever knew of.
Always wondered how you go about changing the fuel filter - Pinched line?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 1:14pm
Fill as much of the lines and filter with gas as you can. If the fuel pump is still good, the gas should make it to the engine.

Getting a decent battery as mentioned several times will certainly help as well. Starting - Not RV/deep cycle.

Lay off the starting fluid. It's a strong solvent that washes the oil off the cylinder walls. Too much and you'll end up with a low compression engine. Stick with squirting some gas down the carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by NAUTI84 NAUTI84 wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

This may sound dumb, but do you have a fuel shut-off?

No shut-off on these things that I ever knew of.

On our 88s there is a valve going in to the Fram housing.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 1:38pm

New plugs in.
She's so close to starting. Doesn't seem to be pulling any gas though.
Can someone explain how the fuel system works?
I've tried priming fuel filter, but I don't seem to be getting it up to the carb.

Disconnect the rubber hose at the bottom of the fuel pump and get another rubber hose and connect one end to the fuel pump and the other to a gas can with fresh gas.

h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 3:38pm
Hope you get to the source of your problem.
70 Mustang project
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Fill as much of the lines and filter with gas as you can. If the fuel pump is still good, the gas should make it to the engine.

Getting a decent battery as mentioned several times will certainly help as well. Starting - Not RV/deep cycle.

Lay off the starting fluid. It's a strong solvent that washes the oil off the cylinder walls. Too much and you'll end up with a low compression engine. Stick with squirting some gas down the carb.

Thanks Peter - will stick with the gas.
Actually pulled the MH's chassis battery (starting not deep cycle).
That did the trick on boosting the cranking power for her (Although even that is getting drawn down after cranking too many times).

Behindtheprop - Might be worth a try with hose to a small tank.
Does anyone know if someplace like the local H.D. carry this type of hose?
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 3:49pm
autozone,nappa,pepboys..,scott will you be working on her tonight??
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by NEDLUTZ NEDLUTZ wrote:

autozone,nappa,pepboys..,scott will you be working on her tonight??

Hey Brian, No not tonight (Kids Sports have me tied-up the next couple days!)
I did look-up Arthur's number though.
I'll try a couple more of these suggestions and if they don't work, I'll have to give him a call.
I'm sure no mechanic - So when it comes to pulling distributers and dealing with carburators I'm done!
I'm just hoping that it's simply fuel lines that are dry as a bone after sitting for 6 years!
She seems real close to starting though! Got my fingers crossed.
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 4:28pm
ok Scott when you get ready to try again give me a call i can prob. swing by to give you a hand to get her going it's more than likely just the fuel from the tank to the carb. it takes a little bit to get the fuel all the way up to the pump..let a lone the carb.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 3:09pm
SHE'S ALIVE & WELL!!!!

Pulled fuel line primed from carb back to filter.
Primed filter thru top vent holes.
Lots of sips of gas thru carb.
Then she finally kicked over!

Running SMOOTH!
Ran thru about (4) trash barrels of water and starts every time with a turn of the key. Perfect oil pres and op.temp.

Thanks to everyone who walked me thru this!
TIP - Don't let your boat sleep for six years.
Very grumpy when they wake up! ;)
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 3:36pm
Been watching this thread for quite a long time. Very cool That you finally got her running.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 3:59pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 4:05pm
Glad you got it started.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 6:02pm
Sweet! This has been a very interesting thread, espcially since you have the 351 Ford. Curious after all that sitting if she was gonna fire again. Glad you got her running... What a beautiful sound....
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 12:01am
I love a happy ending! Good work.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 9:48am
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Sweet! This has been a very interesting thread, espcially since you have the 351 Ford. Curious after all that sitting if she was gonna fire again. Glad you got her running... What a beautiful sound....

Grabbed a beer and was sitting there checking everything out as it ran.
Daughter comes out and says "Dad are you just gonna sit and listen to the engine all afternoon?"
I said "Yeah"   
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 8:05pm

Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Grabbed a beer and was sitting there checking everything out as it ran.
Daughter comes out and says "Dad are you just gonna sit and listen to the engine all afternoon?"
I said "Yeah"   

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2010 at 1:54pm
Scott, glad to hear you got your boat running again.
Now, get out there and ski it quick before you have to winterize it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2010 at 3:02pm
Yea and he got that one for sale. If I was in search of a CC, that one there would be top on my list. Thats sharp looking boat.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2010 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Scott, glad to hear you got your boat running again.
Now, get out there and ski it quick before you have to winterize it

Thanks Brad!
Sure nice to hear it running again!
That cold weather will be here before we know it.
Added the "For Sale" accessory to her, but still not 100% sure on letting her go.
Getting her cleaned up and taking some new pics to add today.
The more time I spend working on her again, the tougher it gets, so we'll see how it goes.
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2010 at 6:44pm
Great thread!! Congatulations.

I am getting ready to go through the same thing on a boat that has been stored in doors for the last 17 years but the motor has been turned every 3- 6 months with drops of oil in each cylinder.   

Hope I can report the same success here in a week or so.
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2010 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Salty Salty wrote:

I am getting ready to go through the same thing on a boat that has been stored in doors for the last 17 years but the motor has been turned every 3- 6 months with drops of oil in each cylinder.   

Good Luck!
Patience is the key!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2010 at 8:47pm

Originally posted by Salty Salty wrote:

Good Luck!
Patience is the key!

How about a decent battery!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2010 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Good Luck!
Patience is the key!

How about a decent battery!

You da man Peter!

I even gave it one more try today after charging it for a week (ya I'm a stubborn Scot!), result = Nada!
That sucker is dead!

Thanks again for all the help!

Added a link to NEW 84 PICS
After seeing how good she still looks and sounds, who knows maybe she won't be going anywhere, and will make it to next year's reunion
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2010 at 10:26pm
Thats a sharp looking boat... Beautiful!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 1:32am

After seeing how good she still looks and sounds, who knows maybe she won't be going anywhere, and will make it to next year's reunion

Now you're talkin' Scott....after all the years you've owned her (over 20) you'll surely miss her if you let her go.

See ya at a Reunion!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic