NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gut Job

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 8:40am
Roger,
I know you mentioned this is the second time around for the stringer work but are there any original reference points still on the hull sides? Also get the pylon attached to the keel and see if you can pull a height from it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 11:48am
This is what I was referring to in another post. What did CC originally use for templates in the factory? are they still around? I can't see them throwing them away? but maybe.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 11:50am
Hey Doc
Been out on Gull Lake yet this year?
Just because you can does not mean you should.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 12:32pm
Not yet maybe today putting a friends pontoon in.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger,
I know you mentioned this is the second time around for the stringer work but are there any original reference points still on the hull sides? Also get the pylon attached to the keel and see if you can pull a height from it.

Unfortunately the boat has been worked so much that I can't find any reference lines from the original build. Also my Pylon was removed from P.O. so that is another dead end.

In the drawing above, the secondary stringers seem to be correct. Now I just need to know how the notches from the secondaries line up with the mains (mostly towards the bow). I thought I seen a picture of 1x going across all four stingers somewhere around the battery box. Then I'm curious if the ply sits on the 1x or is my memory decieving me.

The hard part for me is that I need to build it in my head before I actually build it.
87' 2001
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 2:52pm
Roger - I am ready now but it would be a while before I could transcribe everything and post it on the forums. It might be easier to give you all the numbers you want over the phone. Feel free to call me at five one eight - 857 - nine eight one two

I'll be working on it most of the day.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

I'm using 2x8 so it's actualy 7.25".. so your saying it is 6 at the rear? If so that would mean that one of the dimensions forward for the motor mounts or something must be shorter of a notch than shown on the drawing.

I also notice on the drawing the secondary stringer notches are only .5" deep. Should these be .75" for a 1x in the rear and .5" up front for the plywood?

I used a 2x8x16 for my primaries and then had to add a piece on the back for the riser to lift the gas tank up. If it was all one piece you would need a 2x10x16'.

I don't remember the exact height but this is what I did with the black lines being the riser I added:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 11:50am
Thanks to Jeff I have 100% of the measurements for an 84', so that makes be about 95% sure of my numbers for a 87'. We did note some differences in the three year difference.

1. 84' (or at least his had a cooler and battery box, mine doesn't but that doesn't mean that it didn't) so at the tip of his primaries he has an additional notch for a cross member.
2. 84' secondary stringer stays straigt in the rear, where I think mine is suppose to notch down 1" in the rear for 14 inches.
3. 84's tank support is 2 3/4" high by 18 1/8" long. Where I think mine should be 2" high X 15" long.
4. In the 1" gap between the long and shorter secondary the 84' only had one space block to the aft as I have seen 4 blocks in the 87'.

Would any one be able to clarify on this?

One point I'm still shaky on is the thickness of the main stringer. At the rear of the main is it 6" witout the block for the gas tank then add the 2" or in an 84' case 2 3/4". or is 7 1/4" overall then you subtract the 2" or 2 3/4" for the tank support. I could also reverse engineer it if I had what the stringer depth is at the motor mounts. Another question I have is if you layed a pattern of the stringer on a straight line does the top of the stringer at the rear (tank support) line up with the highest point on the front of the stringer or is this a 1/2" down or so.
87' 2001
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 12:13pm
working on my first main today.what i took out was in great shape.i can fit my old main on my new 2x8.my raised area for the tank does not look as high as the one pictured.i'll let you know what i figure out tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 1:25pm
just went out and measured area in question,total hieght in the tank area is 5 3/8" the added piece is only 1 1/2" tall.probably raises more questions then answers but i knew the pictures were different from my 86'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 10:36pm
Thanks Brian, See the issue that keeps stalling me is when I'm starting from the rear with the measurements by the time I get down to the the rear engine bolts I end up with between 2 3/8" for the 86' and 3" for the 84' of wood remaining for the height at the rear enginge mount location. If no one is following what I'm trying to say, for the 86', starting with 5 3/8" piece of lumber, coming down 1 1/2" at the front of the tank leaving me with 3 7/8" then right behind the rear motor mount it slightly tapers down 1/2", then another 1" to leave a total of 2 3/8". Does this sound correct? To me it sounds too skimpy, but then again what do I know?
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:27am
i think iam following what your saying.why are you starting with a 5 3/8 peice of wood?i fit everything on a 1x8 which is really 7".i wish you were closer i have a perfectly good but still damp drivers side main sitting in my garage that as of a hour ago i dont need

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:15pm
I was sayin 5 3/8 piece of wood because you had stated that the total height in the rear is that. But if it needs to be on a 2x8 that points me to believe that the front of the stringer sticks up higher than the rear? Is there anyway you could take a picture of the stringer traced out on the new piece of wood or a picture of the old stringer on top of the new piece of 8" board? I'm looking to see if the front and rear of the stringer both line up with the top of the new 8" board or if the front lines with the top and the rear is down an inch or so.
On a different note, are you on Lake Monadnock? I stayed there for a summer in 1999 before moving to New Ipswich for a few years.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 5:01pm
I have determined my picture problem is computer related and have not addressed it.my old stringer just fit on a 1x8,may have lost less then 1/16" of raised section in rear but i think iam good.i live in lake monomonoc in rindge nh about 10 min, from mt.monadnock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 1:45pm
Can anyone tell me how Much drive shaft should be showing on the bottom of the boat. Or whats the space between the rudder and drive shaft measure out at?
87' 2001
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 10:11pm
You want the fore side of the prop to land @ 1/2"-3/4" from the back of the strut.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 10:33am
I've seen pictures of people removing all of the stringers and I've read where people say to only remove one side at a time. If I want to remove them all is there any special way to support the boat or should I steer clear of removing all of the stringers at once?
87' 2001
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 10:45am
The mains are where the one-at-a-time approach can be critical. Leaving one in maintains hull integrity and gives you a solid reference point to build back to.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 11:31am
I am in that phase now. I removed my port side first because it was the best looking stringer of the bunch. It came out in one piece along with the secondary. I was able to trace it and also use the starboard side as references as I fit the port sides in. I have sense gotten all my port side stringer glassed in and removed the starboard ones this past weekend. I am glad I did it the way I did because my starboard main came out in three pieces. I also traced my port main on my material for the starboard to make sure it would be close, now I will have to go off that tracing to cut the starboard.

I would advise to do it one side at a time. It also breaks up the pain of all that grinding into a couple phases. Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 11:38am
One note on doing this. I would level the boat side to side before starting so you can use always go back the other side for reference.

As for the hub-to-strut clearance the actual design criteria is the space should be equal to the diameter of the shaft. I have seen it vary quite a bit though.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 11:40am
Wouldn't it be cool if we had in the reference section homemade copies of Blueprints of main and secondary stringers of the different hulls that have been restrung here. I realize that it would be extra effort on the owners part to to lay out every dimension but man it sure would be helpful to those who will need to do a stringer job and whose stringers are nothing but mush and dust.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if we had in the reference section homemade copies of Blueprints of main and secondary stringers of the different hulls that have been restrung here. I realize that it would be extra effort on the owners part to to lay out every dimension but man it sure would be helpful to those who will need to do a stringer job and whose stringers are nothing but mush and dust.

That would take all the fun out of it!

I just cut the top skins off and used a plunge router to excavate the rotten wood. That left me with allot less grinding and tabbing work. Of course I didn't do a 100% gut. More like 60%
The other thing is I was not the first guy into that grid. The last person to work on it was a little lacking in skill.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I've been on a mission to do just that only I wanted to take it a step further and have actual templates made up.   I wrote CC and Art remembers having templates but that is as far as I've gotten don't know if they are on a shelf some where hiding or thrown away?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:38am
Hey guys, I'm looking for some more info. I just finnished cutting out my second secondary stringer, and I'm getting ready to lay them in. My measurements are still a little blurry in some areas. I guess my first question would be, how wide is the cavity between the secondary and main for the exhaust hose. Any number will do, either at the rear of the boat or towards the bow where the channel ends with the piece of wood that goes to the primary. Second, how far from the rear of the boat does the exhaust cavity go(from the rear to the piece of would that cuts the channel off and ties in to the main stringer). If someone could hook a tape on the bolt at the center of the rudder shaft and give me a dimension that would be great. Also what are the dimensions of the rear hatch that the motor cover sits on? Also if someone could hook a tape on the rudder shaft bolt in the center and let me know how far it is to the front edge near the motor of the hatch. Trying to build back to original after it has been hacked by pictures is proving to be a tought task. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
87' 2001
acedizzle916 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acedizzle916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 12:20am
This kind of complete rebuild is what my 1983 needs, but I don't have the tools or the environment to do this kind of work myself. What should I expect to pay for someone to restore my entire interior for me?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 1:12am
That would be a hard estimate, especially for a quality job. I have been doing mine in the driveway, you don't necessarily have to have a big shop or many special tools. The weather will dictate some of your working times, but it beats paying someone to do it. The tools required are also affordable. I would highly advise you to research other threads and at least entertain the idea of doing it yourself, it is very rewarding.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2012 at 10:58am
Does some one know how many cubic feet of foam there is under the floor?
87' 2001
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2012 at 12:38pm
Ace where are you located?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2012 at 4:02pm
I'm slowly moving along with the project. I've come to realize that when doing a job like this the posts never show how much grinding their realy is. For every picture of progress their should be five pictures of grinding. When I removed my shaft I pleasantly found some nice grooving where the cutlass is. Joy oh joy. The last rebuild had the primary stringers to close to each other that their wasn't enough rooom to align the engine right. Now that the foam is all done I removed the boat from the warehouse and trailered it back to my house to complete the project. The first thing I noticed was that the boat sat evenly on the trailer, prior to ripping it apart every time I trailered it it would creep to one side. I'm thinking that that meant one side was more water logged in the foam and the extra weight to one side would push it to the other once it started bouncing down the road. Here are some pics.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:24pm
I'm a few days away from gelcoating and I have one issue I was looking to solve. When rebuilding I left the plywood up front run long over the bilge, I didn't have an original piece to trace the cut out for the engine. I'm looking for some dimensions for the 87' for the cut out on the ply wood. I didn't want to make the cut earlier in case it was too big and the engine cover wouldn't cover it. But I'd like to get it cut so I can dress the edge before I gel. The easiest way I can think of to get these numbers would be to have some one pull their rear hatch and hook a tape to the bolt head at the top of the rudder and then give me some dimensions from that to each side. Would any one be able to help me with this? Otherwise I have to wait for my shaft to come in and then lower the motor enough to get an idea of how much room Is needed for the motor and fuel filter up front. My motor is in a storage unit and I'd have to get it out, in the boat, then out of the boat and the back into the unit until I'm done gelcoating.
Here's some pictures of where I'm at right now.

87' 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic