Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Star Flite/Collegian Restoration (by The Boat Dr)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Star Flite/Collegian Restoration (by The Boat Dr)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 11:01pm
great job mr. sutton
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 12:02am
My wife will be happy to see her finished, she has been a "boat widow " for too long. Vacation time in the near future, can anyone suggest a place for a quaint get a way in late March. Florida would be contender ??????
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2011 at 1:33pm
Billy "Doc Time" sure looks good from this side of the pond,I'm getting closer to seeing her up close, keep up the great work on her.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2011 at 2:07pm
She will go into the shop again tonite, 2 qts. of Flagship and a new badger hair brush. Can you guess what I will be doing this weekend?????
key View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2011 at 3:34pm
sweet, sweet, sweet!!!!! i dont smoke, but driving that thing, i would have a high dollar cigar hangin for ever outing!!! LOL
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 8:09am
Billy's shake down all on track for the reunion      

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 9:59am
real nice. i didnt realize the trees in the Bayou lost their leaves
"the things you own will start to own you"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 10:51am
She's gonna make some heads turn on the way to SJRR...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:12pm
Looks great Billy! Can't wait to see it in person!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:41pm
Eric, that tree is a "bald cypress" they lose their "needles" leaves in early spring.As our native trees bud with new spring growth the cypress trees start to drop their's.
That is a picture of my back yard, behind the boat, 75 degrees and sunny in Louisiana . Cant wait for SJRR        Boat dr
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 7:45am
The Time has come to upgrade the Dearbomatic type A tranny after Billy nursed it through SJRR to a Velvet Drive and a new raw water pump.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 10:52am
should would have liked t been there for this little project. Probably could have learned something
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 12:37pm
Sweet, I debated on the swap to a V/D before SJRR. Way too many parts and pieces to obtain and install in such a short time.
I will post some pics of the "old school" impeller type raw water pump, there was a time before Jabsco, Sherwood.This was a much needed upgrade as well as the new tranny.
Drive shaft also needs mods,along with new mounts for the tranny, all this and still leave room for a tranny cooler , not needed before.
Shifter cable and mounting brackets also ate a large amount of labor, I am at 50 plus hours for the swap, and the engine still sits outside the boat, I think the time and money will be well worth the time and money .........Boat dr
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 4:59pm
Billy sent over pictures of all the old parts he has had to change to run a velvet drive tranny, along with what's left of the Dearbomatic insides we were lucky it made it through SJRR

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 6:16pm
Can we guess what you call that thing bolted to the oil pan?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Can we guess what you call that thing bolted to the oil pan?

Bolted inside, Windage tray? That pan must sit down real low, I don't see any room for the crank. Do these blocks extend down farther, by that I mean the bottom of the block is not at the center point of the crank right?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Bolted inside, Windage tray? That pan must sit down real low, I don't see any room for the crank. Do these blocks extend down farther, by that I mean the bottom of the block is not at the center point of the crank right?

Alan,
Yes, that's why they got the nickname "Y" block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 1:14pm
Just had a call from Billy,he was flicking through ebay CC's and looked at this one again, with the new pictures it sure looks a lot like Billy's boat,what do the team think?
1958 Cypress Gardens CC
Edit Pic

lets have a go 2
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:12pm
I did not think twice about this boat when I first saw it, but after newer pics were posted on E Bay , I see the two boats have a lot in common.
The shot of the transom on both seem very close, the side veiw also has a lot of common features also. Granted the engine,and dash are all "updates" as are the interior covering boards. The last item that differs is the exit of the exhaust to the inside of the stringers/engine bed frames.
There were a few "unique boats" that were built at the Pinecastle plant, time will tell if more exist out there in someones barn or boat house. We will keep looking and hoping for that next barn find............

Alert........ Wooden Boat Show August 26/27 Lake Ray Hubbard, Dallas Tx. We will be there with our CC Woody.........Billy/Karen
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 4:04pm
Billy, I skied Ray Hubbard a few years back, I'm sure you will enjoy your time there!

If I remember correctly, it was either that lake or Lavon that had a cove full of trees with a channel that was cut out so people could drive their boats. Probably some of the scariest skiing I've ever done! As we were pulling the boat, a bass boat ran WOT across the channel and drilled a stump at the end of the run. I was glad we were done to say the least!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 5:11pm

Alert........ Wooden Boat Show August 26/27 Lake Ray Hubbard, Dallas Tx. We will be there with our CC Woody.........Billy/Karen

Sweet! That's our usual lake. We'll have to drive the Mustang out to see ya Billy.

Those guys do a show every year at a small lake by our house, White Rock. The lake does not allow anything over 5 or 10 HP but they let those guys on once a year to show their boats. It's a good time.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:24pm
Billy,
Looking at the pictures, it sure does look like they are matching hulls!!

Yes, as you mentioned earlier today, it's really a shame so much money and so much none original was done to that boat. I don't feel he'll ever get it back!! The PO owner got lucky with the present owners "impulse" purchase. I have a feeling he didn't know anything about wood boats at the time and that engine with the blower on it "boggled" his mind!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Sweet! That's our usual lake. We'll have to drive the Mustang out to see ya Billy.

Those guys do a show every year at a small lake by our house, White Rock. The lake does not allow anything over 5 or 10 HP but they let those guys on once a year to show their boats. It's a good time.

Too Cool Vondy...
We are staying at the Rockwall Hilton, arriving Fri. nite late. Boat show at 8:00 am Saturday, we will be there till afternoon on Sun. Bring the Mustang and come hang with the wood .....Give ma a call , we will xchange phone #s .......Billy/Karen    1-318-386-2825 shop
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:15pm
Had some pictures in of Billy's new low rider trailer rig for Doc-Time....some real neat work on the custom bow stop,She ready to roll and make a splash at SJRR.
I'm sure back in 55 a 4 blade prop was the norm Billy

Its cool how the windshield folds down...
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:30pm
Still a lot to do before SJRR, a bit of trailer work left.Wooden boats do not load as easy as the newer plastic ones, ha ha ....Saw a trailer at Mt. Dora with the same set up, adjustable bow stop,under a Gar Wood. Not my idea , but I sure seized on the simple but clever usage.

I have the old tranny out now,front pump seal drip .
Reman setting on the table awaiting paint and cooler lines, should have it in by 5:30 pm. No more oily bilge ?????

The fold down wind screen is a plus on those hot humid La. nites....Not a lot of these were installed during that time frame. This makes this boat even more unique, along with the left hand motor, a one of a kind,
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:49pm
I'm digging the "Flower Pot Girl" on the Left fender. Is she an add on for your cigarette butts when your tinkering with the Trannz?   

Looks good Doc.... I bet she tows better than the one she's been sitting on.

Ya know......while you've got the motor out; NOW would be a good time to add a pylon so your buddies can go for a ski run up river behind her.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 6:07pm
Sorry for the photo whoops, that is Caroline, our moss girl, she resides at the side of our house, and not on the fender.........

The ride/towing is much improved, along with the ease of loading too.I wish I would have done this a year ago.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Ya know......while you've got the motor out; NOW would be a good time to add a tower so your buddies can go for a ski run up river behind her.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 7:06pm
Billy! Haven't seen you on here for a while. How you been? Did y'all make it to the boat show in Dallas last year? The girls were still a bit to small for the heat so we didn't see it but hope to this year.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 8:23pm
NOPE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic