NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Know most of you wont care but...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 12:38am
62 wood - That is freaking awesome.

Matt, you have a good eye and skills with the CAD. I also like your out-of-the-box thinking about powerplants. A low soft wake would be even lower and softer if we could get more power and torque out of a smaller package than a big American V8 design. Turbos, alternate fuels, direct injection... you're thinking smart there.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 12:39am
Do you have any idea what the X Star will cost?
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 12:51am
Funny...the new CC wakeboard boats look just as gaudy...yet, they are liked.

For me...gaudy is gaudy. I'll take my '86 any day over that MC or the comparable CC.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 1:53am
Yea but This is even better

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yea but This is even better

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 1:59am
I think I see a pattern here

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 2:01am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 2:51am
North of 100K as the base
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

1986 CC Ski Nautique 2001
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 2:54am
Actually that design is intended for my own company. I am also into boat building using advanced composites, and advanced methods. Companies like CC or MC are too well established and have too many different models to introduce things like cored hulls, infusion, prepreg laminates etc.

The whole idea is that a lighter boat requires less power, fuel, and resources in general.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 2:55am
any thread that includes "more adult like" and "wrap your tool" has got to be good.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 3:05am
Matt, is your name on the hull somewhere? Do you know where it is? You should really get a picture of you standing next to your name. :)

If you watch this video you'll see that the "transformers" theme isn't too far off. The seats flip, stow, sit forward or backward, there is a new clamping system for boards... and the dash is, well, you have to see it. I hope they waterproofed everything well with ALL those electronics and motors and such. The disappointing thing about the video is that they don't show the wake.

Master Craft Announcment
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 3:15am
Yeah its on there near the rub rail on the bow. I wish I could have been there but I had to attend to things for school and the local Society of Naval Architects this weekend. I asked one of the engineers to get a picture of it for me.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 3:19am
That's just cool. Neat idea for MC to do that for everybody who worked on the boat.

So - what exactly did you work on? Hull design? Which part?
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 3:25am
I did the stability and hydrostatic calcs for the boat, weight study, and most of the 2d detail drawings. The Naval Architect that they have on staff did the 3d lofting of the hull and what not but some of my ideas were incorporated into the design.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:08am
Matt, your boat sounds like a lot of the same ideas Epic had when they started out, but looks much better. I have a friend who has one and although it's way too 'stripped down' even when compared to my 93 it does exactly what it is supposed to do. Looking at the current specs I think they have gone away from the original lay up because the boats don't seem to have any more things added, but the listed weight is up a lot. I always thought that was one of the coolest things about those boats, they really did weigh about the same as my Excel, my friend tows it to the ramp with a little H3 and you don't even notice your pulling a boat.

Having spent some time in a fully loaded Xstar, the wake is absolutely amazing, so was the gas bill. Interesting to see they are trying to keep the wake and reduce the gas bill with hull design, instead of adding a wake plate and diesel engine.

The interior is definitely more 'Nautique' like with the flip up and the reversible seats. The orange basketball color is god awful, but that's probably more for the show I hope.

I'll stick to my small boat though for one simple reason, when I get out in those big ones I have to wait to long for my turn. They're fun and have amazing wakes and all kinds of other creature comforts, but it can take a whole afternoon for everyone to get a turn. I'd much rather do without all that, spend a half day out and every one in the boat can ride until they're to tired to ride anymore and we still have half a tank of gas.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:49am
CCF guys - would the 2001 hull qualify as a double chine because of the spray relief pockets? Just wondering what the exact definition is.

Matt - I like how you rolled-in the stern corners on your design - reminds me of a barrel back woodie. Good luck on your endevour, hope to see it at a boat show someday.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 1:22pm
The spray pocket doesn't really function as a double chine is defined. A double chine hull is designed to avoid reattachment of the spray to the upper chine at high speed, whereas with a ski boat with a spray pocket that is opposite of what you want it to do.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 6:28pm
Jeeze Matt (good name BTW), you sure know how to roll in style:

If I offended you in any way, I do apologize. While I am not a fan of ANY of the pro wakeboard boats made today, I can appreciate a good bit of engineering.

If you ever do another intern for any inboard boat company, encourage them to get back to proper sounding boats (like our '86s). The new ones sound like vacuum cleaners.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

CCF guys - would the 2001 hull qualify as a double chine because of the spray relief pockets? Just wondering what the exact definition is.

The 2001 doesnt have spray relief pockets (they were added in 1990 on the NWZ hull). Youre referring to the "tapered chine" that was introduced on the 2001. Id like to hear more about what effects that has on performance, theoretically.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The 2001 doesnt have spray relief pockets (they were added in 1990 on the NWZ hull). Youre referring to the "tapered chine" that was introduced on the 2001. Id like to hear more about what effects that has on performance, theoretically.

Whatever they did to the hull was nothing short of amazing. Having just been on the Mississippi and caught in the wash of TWO barges (and the massive rollers that go along with it), I can tell you that NO water came up over the nose and the boat was dry.

On the St Croix, I have to deal with waves from boats like these:

And the boat stays dry. The ride is also very good considering this is a low-slung inboard ski boat.

What CC did is nothing short of amazing...in my opinion.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 9:59pm
Youre referring to the ones that are molded into the running surface?
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 10:01pm
The mfg's have to continue to move towards quieter and quieter boats if they wish to sell in the European markets. MC's boats are all certified to a standard in Austria for lakes in Avalanche prone areas. I believe it was 72db at 150 drive by they had to pass.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:10pm
a tapered chine is a shape on the chines so air is trapped below the hull generating lift and reducing friction.

I think most if not all modern boats have them.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 1:26am
That is a reverse or negative chine.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 2:10pm
my bad, so how does a tapered chine work?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by MIskier MIskier wrote:

That is a reverse or negative chine.

No, I'm talking about a tapered chine. CC has used them since the 2001 hull. Not all other ski boat manufacturers use them. You can see them pretty clearly here on my '90.

To my knowledge, CC has used a reverse chine on every glass hull they've made, with the exception of the 1st gen SN (which got spray rails).

1st gen SN:

MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 4:04pm
You can call it either I suppose, but it is also referred to as a spray pocket, it is just a small upper chine where the spray is allowed to reattach to the hull to deflect it out away from the boat.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by MIskier MIskier wrote:

You can call it either I suppose, but it is also referred to as a spray pocket, it is just a small upper chine where the spray is allowed to reattach to the hull to deflect it out away from the boat.

No, theres definitely a difference between a reverse chine and a tapered chine (see pictures above). CC also used/uses spray relief pockets that are another animal- they reside completely below the chine.

Spray Relief Pockets from 1990 brochure
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 4:39pm
i like the old graphics like you the new ones are too busy the old ones are far superior
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 6:21pm
I wasnt referring to a reverse chine and a spray pocket (like the ones on a 2001, early 90's CC or 90's - current MC's) as the same thing. I was referring to calling a tapered chine and a spray pocket the same thing.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic