Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BAD BAD day - HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

trouble free boating is mostly a fantasy only experienced for short periods if at all.

GS that quote is right on!
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 3:48pm
Putting it back together with new gaskets and seeing if it runs is a reasonable thing to do.. worst case your out a couple hundred and some time. Tearing it all apart then deciding on replacing heads and gaskets is a reasonable thing to do.. there is no worst case if the engine is toast you dont put any more time and money into it, if it isnt you make an informed decision about how much time and money you want in it.

Reworking heads that have nothing visably wrong with them and then putting it all back together and hoping for the best is what I referred to as the current plan and has no upside - you take on all the risk of not doing the full job and spend at least have the money of doing the full job.

Your machine shop may be awesome but in general paying a local outfit to rework heads costs a lot- usually more than expected - and doesnt give necessarily the greatest results. If it is a very common head - like the small block ford, or small block chevy there are many many other alternatives that will cost the same or less and provide as good or a much better result. Which is part of the reason why your rebuilt heads would be worth nothing to anyone else after you.. unknown quality work done with unknown quality parts for someone else (meaning no warranty to the new owner) on the least desireable stock castings...

Transmissions dont knock, damper plates can be noisy when they bottom out from sketchily running engines...

I see the allure of slapping it together and going skiing.. not everyone has a shop with the abilty to remove and rebuild an engine easily, I do and yet I have ran the rough out of a couple pretty bad knocks myself over the years and got some good skiing out of them before they exploded, but i certainly didnt throw money at anything else on the engine in the interim.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

So, either get new gakets with the stock heads, bolt them on and call it a day (hoping they aren't cracked) or buy new heads and new gaskets, bolt them on and you know they're good.

not an expert by any means, but if they are cracked, won't you have to buy new ones anyway? seems like you can buy new for $X, or put them back, and if you have to buy new later because they're junk you still only spend $X. Or is there something I'm missing?

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I have ran the rough out of a couple pretty bad knocks myself over the years and got some good skiing out of them before they exploded

anybody else see the key word there? I don't know your mechanical ability NG, but Joe's one of the few guys who can get away with a boat exploding on the water, he can get it back together with a nail file and a paper clip. If you can't, find the banging.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:54pm
The engine isn't going to grenade at startup. I know it could happen, but my guess is that he can put it together, run it, get the oil changed, run some more, see if water in oil is cured, see what he hears for clunking, and not be any worse off than he is now. I could be wrong obviously, but I'd take the chance and I'm not good enough to do the rebuild myself.

Not trying to put words in his mouth, but I think the OP is trying to get his boat running at minimum cost, see what he has, and take it from there.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 7:36pm
Ok what are the possiblities my motor is completely toast? I would think that there are greater chance that noise was from the trans... but im obviously not the one to know as this is my first time.

any thing i can check now that could help find out if im in serious Sh*t?
1986sn 2001
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 12:17am
Newguy: Is the knock much more noticeable in reverse?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 1:07am
Yes it is much more noticeable in reverse. Thoughts??
1986sn 2001
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 11:12am
These other guys are the experts, but if it rattles in reverse I'd say dampener plate.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

You could at least look at the damper to see if that may have been causing the knock. Pull the starter and rotate the engine by hand while looking through the hole where the starter goes. You obviously need a little help for this. Maybe an inspection mirror too, but you should be able to at least see if the damper is damaged or not.

Wait....disregard that. A SBF has the starter access on the front side of the flywheel so you won't be able to see the damper. Bummer. I was thinking SBC.

Maybe someone else can chime in if there is an inspection plate on the bell housing someplace to be able to look at the damper without pulling the tranny? Sorry, not that versed in SBF's, at least in this regard.

Bump
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 11:33am
Damper plate is surely high up on the suspect list. Do you recall your in gear idle RPMs?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 11:47am
Hollywood - I do not buddy. Sorry.

Well... lets play this game... if a guy were to need to extract this damper plate for inspection, how shall he tackle that?

I would think that checking it while im at this phase is a good thing to do.
1986sn 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 11:57am
Bell housing needs to come off to fully remove the damper plate. You could remove just the transmission and do a visual on one side of the damper only.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 12:08pm
No one really has much of an idea of what is wrong without actually hearing what you heard. You have shown no gasket pictures that give enough detail to show a smoking gun for water leakage either.. that doesnt mean they arent there just that with the pics it cant really be seen over the interwebs

A damper plate is more or less likely to make noise in reverse than forward, either way it is turning the same direction at the same speed with neglibly different loads.

Call me crazy but when you run an engine with water in it (known fact from the milky oil), after you likely hydrolocked it (suspect because of the report that it was hard to crank, like with a dead battery, and due to the presence of water in the oil), and then it knocks - which is a typical noise associated with the things that break when you run an engine with water in the oil (main and rod bearings) and/or hydrolocked (bent rods).. .then I dont jump to the trans or damper as the culprit. Two completely unrelated problems is possible but a logical leap.

Anyhow to look at that plate you either need to remove the engine or remove the transmission.   If you have access to a lift remove the engine - as if you dont find something wrong with the plate then that would be the next step (outside of slapping it back together as is and running it) anyway.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 2:58pm
i'm seeing 4 options here...

1) rebuild heads, new gaskets, see how it runs.
2) new gaskets, see how it runs
3) new P heads, new gaskets, see how it runs
4) tear down engine -> inspect everything -> repair/replace -> have confidence it will run good.

now, which option will have the best results with lowest cost and least time invested?? looks like 2 and 4 have the POTENTIAL for lowest cost. option 2 is definitely the time and INITIAL cost winner. 1 and 3 are very similar in cost...1 is maybe takes slightly longer...for me, I would eliminate option 1 and if you want "new" heads, go with option 3. considering it's winter and time is not such a factor...and i like to do this stuff...and you might end up doing it anyway...I would go with option 4 as overall best.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 3:07pm
If you are soliciting votes ill throw my hand up for #2.

And I agree #1 should be eliminated
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 12:33am
#2 & turn up the stereo, that's just another drum beat honey.

Must be kibitzing season!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 2:12am
lots of boats must be put away & the boredom is setting in..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 10:22am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Sorry to bore you John

Thanks Guys. Im more than likely going to go for option 2. New head gaskets in intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets and get it started. It seems thats the best plan. I will do a couple oil changes and see if I can identify any knocking issues.

Im not scared of putting money into the boat.... Im just trying not to spend money wear I really dont have to.
1986sn 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 11:12am
Just call me up and we can order you a brand new ZR 450 with a 1:23 transmission :).
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 2:03pm
Andrew, if I had to guess I think John was just poking fun at us northern folks with our boats all winterized and stored for the winter while you (Houston) and John (Florida) can still splash your boats. If we can't run the boats, we go back and forth about gaskets and heads and intakes to while away the time till spring.

Good luck with the re-assembly, let us know what you find.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by newguy1986 newguy1986 wrote:

Sorry to bore you John

Sorry Andrew..it was my feeble attempt at humor..

I know there is no humor in engine problems..

Would never on purpose make fun of any of my friends here on C/CFan.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 9:13pm

oh you should try it...maybe not Andrew cause he has a real problem and he's doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions and, at least it appears, listening...but as for the rest of us? We're a vitual shooting gallery of ridicule targets!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

oh you should try it...maybe not Andrew cause he has a real problem and he's doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions and, at least it appears, listening...but as for the rest of us? We're a vitual shooting gallery of ridicule targets!

right you are Adam..didn't think of quinner when I typed this.....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 9:50pm
I didn't mean to snap john. I apologize buddy.

I'm just really nervous about this whole thing and I'm obviously out of my comfort zone. I made some well many key mistakes with this project as you all know...

Ok so I can get my hands on an engine stand and I think I have the space for a complete rebuild but couldn't even tell you where to start if I went that route. This is only being brought up becuase I have thought about how pissed I would be and how much sh't my wife would give me if I re assemble and it's a bigger problem.

The only thing is a complete tear down would take me a good while to complete as I am really busy these days. Yall think a complete novice could do something like that?

I feel like my back is against the wall and this thing is going to keep causing me issues if I don't tear it down and rebuild, get some one to do that , or buy a motor already assembled from thunderbolt or something.

What I'm looking for is advice on costs and feasibility.
1986sn 2001
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 10:11pm
Drop 10 yards and punt.

Some guys here could figure out the water ingestion, tear it down and rebuild it just for fun without having to buy a single new tool or ask for help.
Some people do not have theses skills and tools or the time or even desire to acquire them. Maybe your the guy who is better off spending that time making money.
Maybe rebuilding your engine is great way to learn. Maybe it isn't. I couldn't say.
You have some good motor guys in TX who could freshen it up nicely.
Whatever you decide to do > good luck.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 10:51pm
Hi,
No advice on the motor part. But with the wife seems better for me when I tell her it is majorly screwed up. Then act a little down hearted for a day or two. Who knows once offered to throw in some part money. Heck right now my gorilla brother stripped the carb bowls. Now the intake, manifolds, and heads are almost off. Been sitting on a cam, intake, and heads for over a year. Sometimes its better for them to enjoy the time on the water and not worry about the rest.
Mike
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 11:09pm

carb bowl bolts were stripped
Lakedog55
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2013 at 2:25am
[QUOTE=jbear] [QUOTE=newguy1986] [QUOTE=jbear]

I guess I know where I stand with you posting pictures of my white legs-----   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2013 at 9:40am
Originally posted by newguy1986 newguy1986 wrote:

What I'm looking for is advice on costs and feasibility.

Hard to say not knowing your skills and budget, but here's my thoughts.

Someone with no rebuild experience probably shouldn't do their own rebuild, with no help, as a first time. If you have someone with experience who will work with you on it, or know a mechanic well enough to put it in their shop and work on it side by side, then I think you'd enjoy the experience. On your own, no tools, no experience, no help, then don't try the rebuild yourself.

Option 2 that you decided on - why would your wife have a problem if it doesn't work, it's just an almost no cost re-assembly and trial. Splash it and try it, if you need a rebuild you've only wasted some time and a set of gaskets.

If you really have had it with the unknowns, just want the boat to work, then bite the bullet and find a capable mechanic to do a rebuild. I don't know the cost, others here can give you an estimate so you know what you're looking at.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2013 at 12:01pm
I'm with several others here. If money/wife happiness/family time on the water is the priority, just put a set of gaskets in and bolt it back together. Give it a go as Roger would say. Minimal cost and your time are the only loss.

First step is finding the water intrusion. Starting it up and running it to find out where that issue is isn't going to hurt it the engine any more than it already is if indeed there is a knock in the rotating assembly someplace.
I'm still guessing the knock is the damper. They do rattle at idle RPM and your description of the knock was all at idle speeds. You're admittedly a rookie at this so you immediately start thinking the worst case scenario, aka...rebuild, or replace the engine like you also seem set on doing as an option.
How about this for an example (keep in mind purely an example), even a fresh rebuilld or a new long block can potentially become scrap iron if you were to bolt on the same leaking exhaust manifolds that have started this whole witch hunt in the first place.   
Throw it back together and find out why you're getting water in the oil and fix that. Then we worry about the knock.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic