NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 3:41pm
Tim will take Arts place some day when he retires to old people land (ie Florida). haha
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 4:39pm
        NOT
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 9:13pm
I always wondered about these boats. From an interior and comfort standpoint, do they feel alot smaller than a regular Ski Nautique of the same era? I'd bet they feel just as roomy as the previous generations.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 9:27pm
They're definitely smaller but don't feel 2' smaller! They're just as wide as the 19'6" boats, so that helps. Cc really pushed the dash as far forward as possible so that helps too. Pretty cool little rigs.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 3:50pm
Now the problem is I don't want to be at work. I'd rather be working on my boat and this "job" thing really gets in the way.

Anyone figure out a solution to that?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 4:01pm
I have Chris,but everything is backward.You should be retired when your young and work when when your older. My knees and back can't keep up with what my head thinks they can do
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Billy, Jody, Zach, Eric....There must be others I am forgetting about. Not always able to work on their boats, but working on others is still more fun than what I do 40 hrs a week.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I have Chris,but everything is backward.You should be retired when your young and work when when your older. My knees and back can't keep up with what my head thinks they can do

Wow, do I hear you Gary! I have no idea how I used to find the time to work, or how I accomplished anything else when I did.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 5:12pm

Now the problem is I don't want to be at work. I'd rather be working on my boat and this "job" thing really gets in the way.

Quit your paying job,open up a boat repair shop, and call it The Boat Doctor.Long hours, low pay,but no BOSS ..........
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 7:40am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Quit your paying job,open up a boat repair shop, and call it The Boat Doctor.Long hours, low pay,but no BOSS ..........

Yep, I can confirm Billy has made a nice career move... Saw him smile everyday when he got into his shop while I was staying there (and so did I)
That is, when he made it into his shop... Cause the rest of the time he was on the phone

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 2:38pm
Do you have to gap the autolight spark plugs these days?

It's been a while.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 2:41pm
Its a good idea to check them... gap recommendations will vary with the type of ignition system you have. They usually come pretty close to .045 out of the box, IIRC... but some will be off. Worth the $0.99 for the gap tool.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 2:49pm
Thanks benj.

I have a gapping tool but I'm not really sure what ignition system I have. Ill take a picture in a bit but its all corroded.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 2:51pm
Chris - The coil will dictate the spark plug gap. See if you can ID that. Your dizzy looked like a Mallory to me.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 4:56pm
I would think about waiting (perhaps your plan anyways) until you fire it up before installing the new plugs, in case there is a bunch of fogging oil or whatnot in the cylinders.

Did you get get the other tune up parts also??
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 5:44pm
I got the old fuel drained today, got the wrong oil filter, and checked all the gaps for the new plugs. Looks like it was .044.

Draining the fuel was not fun and I can't siphon the last inch out of the tank. I tried draining through the fuel filter hose until I realized the pickup actually wraps around the top of the tank. No surprise nothing came out. I was trying to use an old garden hose that I cut up for the siphon but it was too ridged to touch the bottom. Ill grab a 1/2" flex hose tomorrow to try to get the rest.

Quinner, I think I'm all set for a start attempt on sat.

I have to return the oil filter and ill probably run to ........cough(west marine) to find a replacement.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 5:57pm
Mil is probably a 2 day ride from me to you UPS.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:05pm
Zack are you talking about an oil filter? I have a list of stuff I need to order from you here in the next few weeks and that will e one of them. I plan to change the oil and tranny fluid again after it runs for and hour or so.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:08pm
Just get your big list together. Today is the last day of the 15% Feb discount on tune up/service parts. After it will just be the normal 10% CCF.com. I'm pretty stocked up currently so I should have anything you need.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:26pm
Side if the distributor has this in the plaque:

Marine SAE-j1171
E5JL-12100-CA
Drestolite
7020s 9 J7

I don't see gap info anywhere.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:36pm
I also just noticed a HUUUUGE mistake.

On page 1 of this thread I wrote the model number of the engine wrong. It dropped a letter.

It's a PLDPRR12PP.

When I wrote it down I was looking at a picture and there was a scratch through the "d".

I just put autolight 764 plugs in. Are they still going to work?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:43pm

I also just noticed a HUUUUGE mistake.

On page 1 of this thread I wrote the model number of the engine wrong. It dropped a letter.

It's a PLDPRR12PP.

When I wrote it down I was looking at a picture and there was a scratch through the "d".

I just put autolight 764 plugs in. Are they still going to work?

Nope! Youve got the non-HO engine (240-255hp) that doesnt have GT40 heads... so you want the Autolite 24's. As you learned, that 3rd digit is the operative one in regards to model/hp.

D = standard 351w
P = HO 351w
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 6:55pm
Thanks man. I was afraid of that. Now I have a winter project for next year : )
1999 Ski Nautique 196
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 7:09pm

Now I have a winter project for next year : )

Learning quickly! I'd love to see a carb'd 351 SN176 with a H/C/I and maybe dual exhaust if you're getting crazy!
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Mil is probably a 2 day ride from me to you UPS.

Zach, Fedex Ground hits MILW next day out of you PITT too as we know!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:03am
Well that was an interesting day of work. Pretty much nothing but setbacks, nevertheless, I'm back on track.

I foraged the entire city to find a proper oil filter and got it.

Drove the other side of town to return 764's. Went to the third side of town to get the 24's.

Drained as much of the cloudy, red-ish/orange, 2 year old fuel as I could.

I think I also stumbled upon another little problem. While I was rutting around in the fuel tank, I found this little guy.

After a lot of chasing I've come to the conclusion that this is a ram air line for the pitot (speedo) tube. I don't think it's going to read very accurately in this condition. As far as I can they’ll the other side is fine.

I'll do a search for speedo tubing replacement but if someone wants to surmise it, I would listen
1999 Ski Nautique 196
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 12:56am
I would just reconnect it, you might scoot the nut back about a 1/2 inch and just trim off the deformed end, then push all the way on back on and finger tighten the nut down...then it should work
This is the life
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 1:14am
Chris - What oil filter does your boat take? I am surprised it doesn't take the Std Ford V8 filter.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 1:29am
I will see if I can reconnect the pitot tomorrow. I think the other half of that line fell behind the fuel tank and the tubbing inside the nut looks like its in rough shape. I'm very surprised CC used rubber tubbing for this.

Chris, the one that was on there was a "Marine 18-7878" which I was able to find at west. I went to auto zone the first time and they gave me the "standard" 351 oil filter and the threads were waaaay too big. I didn't want to waste anymore time today chasing parts so I just went with what I knew would work for now until I can figure it out.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2013 at 7:34am

I went to auto zone the first time and they gave me the "standard" 351 oil filter and the threads were waaaay too big.

Auto Zone was a BIG mistake! Sorry but problems with that so called auto supply have come up several times.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic