Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barn Find 1989 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

What a pretty boat!

Ha,I thought you might like it.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What will cause vibration is a bad prop, a loose prop and or a bent prop shaft. Have you check any of these items?

Wait, I thought a cutlass bearing (bad) could also cause a vibration in the final portion of the drive train, is that wrong?
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

looks like a season of fun coming at you. very clean ride!

Thanks Jack,
Last year at this time I was just starting a restring on the 71 Mustang and I missed most of the boating season. This year I got smart and sold my 1985 2001 that needed stringers and bought this boat. I thought I would get a boat that needed minimal work so I could actually use it instead of working on it.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

What will cause vibration is a bad prop, a loose prop and or a bent prop shaft. Have you check any of these items?

Wait, I thought a cutlass bearing (bad) could also cause a vibration in the final portion of the drive train, is that wrong?

Pete,
Your input is always welcome and appreciated. It isn't much of a vibration, but I think I will check the entire running gear. Start with checking shaft runout, check or replace cutless bearing, evaluate the prop and do an alignment. Now that the boat is running good I can concentrate on perfecting it.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 3:19pm

Steve,
Yup, I forgot that one. Thanks for the reminder! A bad cutlass with good alignment will vibrate due to the shaft slop in the cutlass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 3:33pm

A bad cutlass with good alignment will vibrate due to the shaft slop in the cutlass.

Whew, cause that was the last thing to check/fix on the 63 - still working through that one... Hoping it solves the issue.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 3:40pm

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] A bad cutlass with good alignment will vibrate due to the shaft slop in the cutlass.

Sounds like date night from the 70s
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 3:44pm
Just taking a quick look, there is a ding in the prop, not sure if this could cause it or not. I don't feel any slop in the cutless, but I was young (and high) in the 70's
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] A bad cutlass with good alignment will vibrate due to the shaft slop in the cutlass.

John,
You must have been dating girls from the other side of town!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 6:30pm

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

John,
You must have been dating girls from the other side of town!!

The whole town I grew up in was on the " other side " Pete.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 7:39am
Wes,

That ding in your prop is sure enough to cause the vibration...
Two solutions:
1. Have it fixed
2. Replace it with an ACME CNC prop (ACME 1442 and ACME 470 are good examples)

I replaced my original prop with an ACME 1442 and haven't regretted spending that money, not for a millisecond...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 11:10am
Kristof,
Thanks, I will definitely fix that prop and look at getting an Acme CNC-can't have enough props.
Happy Birthday from one Team Red member to another
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

Happy Birthday from one Team Red member to another

Thanks!
Team Red FTW!!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 8:25pm
WOW! She cleaned up well!
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic