NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 nautique won't run over 3200 rpm

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2014 at 2:51pm
Probably not but check it. If it's clean and at the right level, don't worry about the oil.

As for the carb, don't worry about that right now either. Make sure it runs first. The throttle plates will probably clean up OK but not the choke plate. I would take the carb off and clean it up with some carb cleaner and reinstall, but that's me.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JasonS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2014 at 11:38pm
Finally put boat in the water today. No stumble, no backfire nothing. I could get the rpms to about 3700 steady. When I eased forward on the throttle and I mean barely move it at all, it would was up to about 3950 then fall backdown to 3200. Ease back in the throttle a little and right back to 3700 with no problem and stay there. It almost seemed to me if the problem now is when the secondaries open up it fails then goes back to an rpm it can handle.

Thanks a bunch for your help in the firing that sure cleared up all the stumble and backfire problems. From idle, I can gouge it and it never misses a lick, hits plane instantly!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by JasonS JasonS wrote:

Speed is around 34 mph. While running my buddy watched the carburetor work. The secondaries seem to open up as in the cam on the side of the carburetor starts opening counterclockwise under a load. While under a load or trying to plane off the valve on the other side if the carburetor opens up then closes when the boat planes out.

In your very first post, you mentioned a cam closing again, once you were on plane. Do you have any idea what part of the carb that is? That detail has me curious.
JasonS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 9:24pm
It is the "cam" that is held closed by the throttle linkage. It keeps the secondaries closed until the throttle is wide open I believe. Before I fixed the firing problem, if you manually engaged the secondaries under wide open throttle it fell on its face like it wasn't getting enough fuel? As soon as you took pressure off of the secondary valve (valve on drivers side that has rubber diaphragm and spring in it) it would close back on its own.

It is still doing the same thing after firing problem is fixed. Just does it at a little higher rpms now
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:50am
One test, while it's idling in neutral, on the trailer or whichever:

See if you can rev it up a little using just the secondaries. You might have to disconnect the linkage to that cam, but on mine, the cam will let me open the secondaries a little.

Just wondering if you're getting any fuel at all to the secondaries.
JasonS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 1:07pm
Alright finally got back to the boat. I pulled the linkage loose and when I manually open the secondaries it dies. It is kinda hard to open the from the completely closed state I'm assuming vacuum pressure holds them closed?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 2:43pm
Well, there is at least some spring pressure you're working against.

Well, the fact that it dies tells me you're not getting and fuel to the secondary bowl. Either something is plugging up the fuel transfer tube, or the float for the secondary bowl is adjusted incorrectly or the needle is stuck somehow.
JasonS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 2:49pm
Well by now you know what is coming next!

How do I check those things?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 3:03pm
Well, unfortunately, there isn't really a way outside of taking things apart.

Is your boat always accessible to you? In other words, do you travel to your boat and the water, or does the boat stay with you and you take it to the water? Just trying to figure out the best way to approach this.

Either way, you're going to want to get a good quality rebuild kit. Your task may be limited to just unscrewing and removing the rear fuel bowl. But, even for that, you'll need a bowl gasket and potentially the transfer tube Edit: "O" ring gaskets, which would be contained in the kit.
JasonS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 3:08pm
Yes the boat stays at my house. After doing a quick you tube search on float level adjustment, I believe my carb has no external adjustments for the float level?
JasonS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 3:15pm
Since my carb abilities are limited would it be an option to disconnect the main fuel line to carb and blow air through to see if the lines to the secondaries are even open. Not sure this is even a good idea just thinking out loud.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 4:26pm
It's good that the boat is nearby. That makes things easier.

You're right there are no external adjustments.

I don't think blowing air will help you. You'll at least have to remove the rear bowl. I reread the start of the thread, and looks like you had this carb rebuilt already... Do you have any potential recourse there?

If not, I'd be tempted to spring for a new carb or at least a known, trusted factory rebuilt one. I think Holley even sells rebuilt ones direct.

JasonS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 5:09pm
Unfortunately I have no recourse with the rebuild. He's since gone out of business(imagine that) even looked at the old repair bill and paperwork and he even put on there he tested it on the water and top rpms were 3500? Should have know then. Apparently he didn't even try to fix the secondaries and new they weren't working right.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 2:17pm
It might be possible that the wrong rebuild kit was used?

I know Holleys are very sensitive to where the holes are in the gaskets.

Not sure if that could fully cut off the fuel though. Of course, maybe the bowl is getting fuel it's just not making it to the jets. Does the wrong gasket causing this sound plausible to anyone?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic