NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pertronix Ignitor/Coil Setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2021 at 8:42am
I agree with you, and not knowing the answer is going to bother me until I run the boat with it off again. I went back after installing the 540 and looked at a .gpx file from when I ran the boat in it's original form last year, and it shows a top speed of 40mph. I can't imagine it's slower with the new prop, and the only variable that comes to mind is the FAE. I backyard engineered it of course, and ended up with a lot of spray coming through my swim platform that I had to address afterwards. I'm sure it's adding a lot of drag and screwing things up under the water.

Like you suggested, the solution is pretty simple. I know I need to run it without the FAE, it's just hard to bring myself to take it off because it's so nice having it on there.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2021 at 9:07am

This is the part in question. If anyone has a suggestion on how to improve it, I'm all ears. I tried to imitate the other FAE I had seen online, but ended up with a lot of water coming through the platform and had to put some foam under the slots to stop it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2021 at 12:16pm
Hey, is that your first CCF picture? Congrats  Wink

Looks well built and a good copy of what's out there.

I can barely spell FAE and know nothing worthwhile about them other than they're quiet and keep the nasty stuff underwater, but it's seems like it would be pretty deep in the water, adding extra drag, unless it's just the camera angle.

That one picture will make the "noisy boys" start clutching their chests and mumbling something about having the big one, but it's your boat so you can do whatever you please Wink
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2021 at 4:51pm
I’m a noisy boy……your pipe looks well built but I would think it could be much shorter and still be effective for noise reduction and not produce so much drag if in fact it is. 
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2021 at 5:11pm
I've posted a few on here, but man it's tough to make them work on my phone. This site in general is pretty bad on mobile, but it's worth it for the information.

I'm pretty much over loud cars/boats by now, but I built it after reading what the CO can do to people who ride behind the boat or in the back seat. Anyway, I can probably take a few inches off it like you guys suggested and still send the exhaust well past the tub.... I mean slalom skiers.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 9:19pm
I cut around 4-5 inches off my FAE and gained some top end, so I think you guys were right on the money there. Didn't seem to make any difference in noise levels either, which is great.

Now that the boat is running well, I'm looking at installing the Edelbrock performer intake I picked up for the boat last winter. Are you guys blocking the exhaust crossover when you install an aluminum intake, or leaving the system intact?

I'm also looking at a set of gt40p heads that a local guy is selling and was wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for on the swap other than drilling it out to 0.500" for the 351 head bolts and installing brass freeze plugs? From what I'm reading, it looks like a pretty straightforward swap that can reuse pretty much everything but the spark plugs.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 10:47pm
FWIW I blocked the passage at the head when I installed the Performer RPM unit in the ‘94.  No issues. 

Some “P” heads come pre-drilled T 1/2”.  You will like the 90 degree spark plug holes when it comes to changing plugs.  When changing heads, valve train geometry is critical.  Lots of instructional videos on YouTube for all that stuff. If you are changing heads, are you thinking to go with roller rockers?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2021 at 11:33pm
I think I'd drill them (gt40P) to the same size as your present 351 heads and that's 17/32

Here's some reading in the link below

link
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 12:01am
No, I wasn't planning on switching to roller rockers. Mostly because I'm assuming there would be some pretty significant cost involved and I'm not sure if the boat is really worth that kind of an investment in it's current form.

Thank you for the tip on drilling them to 17/32". If they need to be opened up anyway and that's what a 351 head is from the factory, I don't see any reason not to.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

I'm looking at installing the Edelbrock performer intake I picked up for the boat last winter. Are you guys blocking the exhaust crossover when you install an aluminum intake, or leaving the system intact?

If it's the Performer 2181 manifold that you have, you should read the link below for info on a spacer plate that'll keep you from having vacuum leak issues due to the skinny mounting surface for  the carburetor on the manifold.

Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 7:36am
Thanks again KENO. I noticed that mounting surface was pretty thin when I was cleaning it up (it's a used intake) and was wondering how well it would seal. That plate looks like a great idea
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic