NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 9:08pm
awww, come on Pete. I put alot of hard thought into this (not to mention muscle). LOL.

Should I remove everything that the previous owners filled and fill or should I say re-repair with the epoxy? I don't know what they used. A few areas are filled white and most are filled with a salmon color. The stripper softened the salmon fill.

Love purple, but not on a boat or car.

The fiberglass "looks" like fun, but from what I've been hearing looks aren't everything.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 9:39pm
The pink stuff is probably Bondo and the white may be Marine-tex. Both should come out and be refilled with a epoxy of known quality.

I missed a polyester fill done by a PO on one of my boats and several years later it popped! Had to do the whole hull side over!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 1:36pm
as always, thanks. I will make that my next purchase. All they had at the APS was a poly fill.

Grind it out with my Dremel and feather the edges, clean with MEK and then fill. Is that right?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 1:41pm
Grinder with a flap disk and a steady hand would get that done in a few minutes, edges would already be feathered and better results than a dremel.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 1:52pm
a good way to see the cracks for you bifocal owners is to outline them with a sharpy pen, they are hard to see if you dont
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 2:12pm
Once ground out, coat with plain epoxy (with hardener) first. Then fill using a high strength filler mix like microballons/microfibers added to the epoxy. Try to keep this mix just below the finished surface - it's harder to sand. Then go over the area with a epoxy mixed with a microlight filler to fair the area - this is easy to sand. The filler part numbers and descriptions will vary depending on the brand of epoxy used.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 2:47pm
grind out and drill a hole at the end of the cracks to keep them from progressing in the future. dont be afraid to vee the passage out. you'll find out the sharpy pen works well. I use epoxy then Duraglas as a filler. It wouldnt hurt to layer a couple pieces of cloth on the inside to strengthen the stress crack areas so they wont pop again, but if the boat is repaired correctly they shouldnt return. glassing the inside is just extra insurance. I will vee the cracks the grind the entire area pretty deep over the cracks, then fill the cracks with epoxy and then coat with Duraglas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 6:53pm
Michelle,
Who's epoxy did you end up with for both the gel patching and the stringer work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 7:06pm
slow down...

I'm still deciding which product I want, as I will not be ready for another week or so.
My supply friend told me to look into fibreglast.com and also West Sytems. have you dealt with either company? Any of their products?

As far as the stringer work, my better half is a crew chief in the ANG and is using the same epoxy on the refuelers that will be used on the interior.

I love the Captain Lee's stripper though. We purchased a can of the Aircraft stripper too and the Capt. Lee's worked much better and it is safe to use on fiberglass. Also, it doesn't smell half as bad!

Chelle'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 7:20pm
I use Fiberglass coatings, not that it matters, but im a shopper. 1-800-272-7890
good customer service, and if you request they will send you a catalog. just as a comparison not that you will use polyester, but a 5 gallon bucket is 107.12
they do handle very nice cloth, and epoxy resins...no price list on the epoxies
Eric
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 7:29pm
Thanks, Eric. I will check them out too.

The fibreglast site is pretty indepth with their explanations. I could get sucked in there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 9:40pm
Mas epoxy Good product, very versatile and cheaper than West

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 10:59pm
Pete, they offer 2x4x8 lengths of recycled glass with epoxy resin, Im thinking of trying one on a keel job instead of wood. i pulled mud out...any experience with them?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 8:11am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, they offer 2x4x8 lengths of recycled glass with epoxy resin, Im thinking of trying one on a keel job instead of wood. i pulled mud out...any experience with them?

Eric,
No, I haven't. My thoughts have always leaned to the conservative side sticking with a "tried and true" material. I can look at the spec. sheets, do some calculating but still want someone else to try it first!! You also need to consider the liability factor too. I'd stick with wood but do it better than original - CPES, epoxy resin and done with care to seal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:27am
think I'll stick to wood, I took in a transom job yesterday out of PA, doing the transoms arn't as bad as stringers. its still all itchy work. I dont know what people think when they buy boats sometimes, I hopped up on the platform and I know if i jumped i could of snapped it off the transom. I asked the guy who just purchased the boat cheap if he noticed this and his answer was no. needless to say, the boat aint cheap no more.
Awareness is key when buying a boat, some may say on the site, what the f does this have to do with Correct Crafts, it all relates
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:21am
Eric,

What does that have to do with Correct Crafts?

Sorry, you left that wide open. We'll see what I have to say when we start on next years project. I covered the cuda this morning and won't look at it till the Mustang is done. There's always a piece or part that "someone" can use if a boat is trashed, right?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:43am
they float....and alot dont know what to look for when purchasing, so it may help someone in the future
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:49am
common sense required, right?

It's always fun to watch the "anything that floats" during the regatta here.

Have you ever seen that?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 1:05pm
Sanity-

If you plan on doing any painting I reccomend getting a fresh air respirator. You may think it is a lot of $$ but far less expensive than a new liver and set of lungs.

Others will tell you to just buy a mask...but with any high end paint/primer a mask just is not a good idea.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mas epoxy Good product, very versatile and cheaper than West

I used MAS on Pete's recommendation and was happy with it. It was about 30% less expensive at Boater's World than West Systems was at West Marine. I bought, but did not use the plungers. I like the quart measuring cups better.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 2:43pm
Here is our Reps phone number and he said to call anytime with technical paint questions, tell him you are from CCF. I asked him a direct question of....besides gelcoating the boat, what is the very best paint to use on a trailored boat...he said the Urethanes were great (Imrons) but for durability and no fade over the years, Base coat clear coat is the way to go
Dan Antenora 440-653-7002
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 3:53pm
[QUOTE=behindpropeller] Sanity-

If you plan on doing any painting I reccomend getting a fresh air respirator. You may think it is a lot of $$ but far less expensive than a new liver and set of lungs.

Tim,

Our friend Dave owns an auto body business in Warrandale, PA. He so graciously offered the use of anything needed to finish the Mustang. And he's been helping with the stripping. You don't meet too many people like him. I will certainly request use of the respirator.

Sometimes I tend not to follow the safety rules when completing my own projects. It's good to be reminded AND I want to be a classic just like the Mustang someday. Not quite sure at what age you reach antique?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 5:58pm
Not just "respirator".....FRESH AIR!!!

Especially with....IMRON!

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 6:05pm
[QUOTE=behindpropeller] Not just "respirator".....FRESH AIR!!!

Especially with....IMRON!

OK... I agree. Guess I should have quoted your entire sentence last time.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 9:23pm
I bought a Hobbyair system from Autobodystore.com Dragging that hose around is a big pain in the rear.It gets caught and tangled in everything and when it's warm out those systems heat the air just pumping it to you. However I saw what pulmonary fibrosis does to you and it's not pretty. Anything that has isocyanates in it, Imron,hardners for Centari just to name two is dangerous.Doctors think that even household chemicals and dust to some people even cause trouble, so better to be safe than sorry-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

a good way to see the cracks for you bifocal owners is to outline them with a sharpy pen, they are hard to see if you dont

You got anybody in mind with this comment brunstuckian?

Who sprung for lunch...you or HW? Where'd ya eat? BTW...is Mapleside still open? Patti loved that place.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 10:25am
I did...it hurt though, he met me at rico's it used to be the Lucky Lady....any memories?
Mapleside is still open.
The bi focal thing was for the general public on the site, i had to borrow my uncles walmart glasses yesterday to see a picture in a manual....man that was depressing......Im glad it was my eyes that went first. but i think my eyes are a result of what dad use to tell me
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I bought a Hobbyair system from Autobodystore.com Dragging that hose around is a big pain in the rear.It gets caught and tangled in everything and when it's warm out those systems heat the air just pumping it to you. However I saw what pulmonary fibrosis does to you and it's not pretty. Anything that has isocyanates in it, Imron,hardners for Centari just to name two is dangerous.Doctors think that even household chemicals and dust to some people even cause trouble, so better to be safe than sorry-

Gary-

For the heat issue: Run the air through about 50' of pvc too cool it. I do this with my air that runs from my turbine to my gun. Reduces orange peel.

Hose issue: yes...it is a bit bulky but I would rather drag the hose around than suck air through a respirator.

Tim

skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 2:26pm
My lungs hurt just reading this.
my arms are tired of sanding.
sanity your project is killing me.......
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 3:50pm
yeah, well ask Tim and Pete what I've been putting them through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic