NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 82SN in South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:44pm
It was a great winter time killer for me. Nearly spring now. HOnestly, I had a lot of fun, and cannot wait (nearly) to do another.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:53pm
My 83SN has the same piece. Can anyone explain why Correct Craft did it like this?
83Ski
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:54pm
Mike:

Agreed. I think i'll feel the same as you next winter once i've had this one for a summer.

I definitely would do another if:
- i have this one operating to fall back on for use;
- i have the space to fit another.

You have both those bases covered. What do you have in mind for next winter, if i could coax you into passing the thoughts of just enjoying your last project and looking beyond?
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:46pm
i was wondering if it would be a good or dumb idea when doing the stingers to make a under floor ballast system... instead of placing foam you could do and enclosed compartment set some pumps to do the fill and empty.. and no more sacs on the deck...I guess you gonna kill me for this... The copy cat boats (prostar 1992 hulls) here have the tanks casted on the hull and they put the carpet on them...
But they have the composite stringer construction.. or no stringers at all, they are casted in the same mold....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:02pm
The in-floor ballast idea has come up many times. There just doesn't seem to be the volume under the floor in a Ski Nautique to take advantage of it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:12pm
That was my concern also... you could put around 100-120 liters on each side tank... not much and you risk bouyance....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:14pm
BTW nautiless that hell of a job your doing there.. at least winter is not that cold and you´ll be able to use the boat when it´s finished... and ski with a 3.2 suit...
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:43pm
I am with HW on that one. Not enough room to justify the cost and work involved.

Donovan, I am helping completely restore a friends 65 Sportsman 17 that his grandfather purchased new. The year after, I will do the 68 Nautique.

It is a sickness, I am afraid.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:48am
The in floor ballast system has crossed my mind but the government has really clamped down on the boating community due to a spate of tragic accidents. You now need a skippers license, as you do in a car, which i wrote and did the practical last week. Bouyancy requirements for inland waters is required to be set at a minimum of 30% of the boat weight when fully laden. A standard 2001 comes out at around 38% if i remember my calcs. By me filling in the bow section i will push the bouyancy up, which will allow me to run two sacs and still be legal. The boat will also have to pass a certificate of fitness after the resto so i'm keeping all my drawings and calcs to make this easy. The entire country has to do this before August or else face the might of the law. Boat owners left and right are scrambling to get compliance.

The law also has a stacked fine system:
- dui on the water USD360 fine
- no skipper license USD360 fine
- no cof (cert of fitness) for the boat USD360 fine

So if you get caught with all three your total fine will be a fine of USD1080. That is very steep i.t.o the ratio to average salary. I all likelihood they will offer you a 6 month prison sentence as an alternative.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:54am
Kap, a 3:2 will do just fine, i have a 3:2 full piece and shorty. I often wear the shorty when i'm learning a new trick, no matter what you wear, a suit doesn't save your face when screwing up a raley variant.

Although our winters are warm, it's relatively cold against summer which you've acclimatised to. So yes, below 20deg C is cold for me.......but i'm no sissy.

Don's Diary

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:28pm
its great to see your continent is hopping on the safety bandwagon, most accidents and deaths on the water are due to drinking and the lack of safety awareness or even how to operate a boat. there are to many close calls on boat, think about its a moving object capable of dead stops and that means you keep moving forward...Im surprised it took so long over here to enforce safety rules, they are necessary not only for you but for other families out operating a boat, even the basic passing rules people were unaware of.....
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:56pm
I'm generally against more gov't, but I have to agree with you on this one Eric. 80% of the year we have more bass boats here than pleasure boats. The only rules most of them know are who's fastest. They'll come right up behind a skiier and want to know why we don't move out of their way in a narrow passage. This causes me to deliver a less than pleasant speech from my bow after I get my rider in and run him down! And proper passing?!!? LOL

I think if most people(boat drivers) would look down the road just a bit past their own nose, things would be more agreeable. I don't think anyone wants to run over a rider...but that thought has to reach grey matter.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 2:19pm
Greg, i will refer to our new leader as number 12 from now on....look in a Crayola box
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 2:22pm
come to think of it Greg, I have an almost split in half bass buggy at the shop with a nitro 150 on it, the fish can wait....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Greg, i will refer to our new leader as number 12 from now on....look in a Crayola box

I don't know how you got from safety regs to prezbo and I don't have kids or crayons, but does this mean your kool-aid wore off?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 2:36pm
you were against government rules, and if you refer to our leader as number 12, no one will ever figure it out, Im debating on what i should do for the rest of the day, its kinda warm out and rainy...but the Ohio anticipation i always talk about is in the air...i did see buds yesterday and thats the signal that spring is not to far down the road
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you were against government rules

I said I was against MORE gov't...we have plenty if properly enforced, but that doesn't create more agencies.

Sorry for the jack Don!

Eric, maybe you will call and explain that to me! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:11pm
get a box of Crayola's, we did add valuble info to the thread, most importantly, safety, it does manage to get the point across, even though you go off on these tangents and get us sidetracked with all your conspiracy theories. lol really though, if one guy reads this and puts aside all your whackiness and says to himself "hey maybe i should take a safety coarse" well...are work is done here
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 4:45am
Yep. I think boating legislation is necessary. We don't have vast lakes in SA but rather man made dams. As our economy has grown, there are a lot more folk with water craft who don't know how to use them. I have been fortunate to be on the water from a very young age and although not law at the time, i learnt a heap by being a sea scout.

Just for interest and for other SA CCFans, here is a link to the latest legislation and news from SMSA

SAMSA Home

Don's Diary

Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:14am
Yep... the new legislation is a good thing (in theory) here is SA, but the problem is that it probably won't be policed properly. There are only a handful of "water police" - only 4 to cover 20+ dams in the "Boland" area.

The biggest issue is drinking... just like drinking and driving which is also not policed properly.

The buoyancy issue is not resolved yet, hence it keeps getting delayed - it may be that we can get away with a life ring per 2 people (stored under the nose).

I wonder if there are any real documents with regards to our boat's buoyancy that we can use as proof?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Ps. I also have a SN2001 here in SA
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:27am
lets put it this way, i think there are more unsafe, unknowledgeable boaters than safe boaters. but the times are changing which is good. its always the other guy who has been drinking that runs into your path or worse into your boat.
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:31am
Hey Greg:

I agree with you completely. I think the key to success in this legislation lies in the policing. I know that they've issued water craft in mpumalanga to do the policing.

My honest opinion is that the legislation will inadvertantly be enforced by clubs who control club waters...for example, i'm not able to access pristine, regulated and controlled club waters locally without my skippers and COF. Thus no skippers and COF, no club membership, no access card, no entry to the dam. It's in my interest to get it done as want to use club facilities as they tend to be more family friendly i.t.o all the gremlins such as okes getting tanked, jetskis all over your wake like a rash and so on.

As for the public dams, we'll have to see...i have been regularly stopped at Bronkhorstspruit and Harties by the water cops though but as you say...one cop patrol to the whole dam every other weekend.

By the way...got my results for my skippers license today and i'm through.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:56am
Greg:

Post us some pics of your boat....

Eric:

Change is good. However, each needs to take responsibility for his own for it to work. Although this is new law, i've always had this view on okes drinking on my shift.
- I always made them wear a life jacket all the time even if they weren't swimming or skiing,
- They never got behind the wheel,
- I made them pay for the gas.

Needless to say, it's a crap day out getting hot and funding the gas. This sorted out my crew quickly. Naturally, things have changed with a family now....they're my new crew. My mates really don't pint on the water either.

Don's Diary

Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 5:57am
Hey Nautiless...

Off topic, but how long did it take to get your skippers after you wrote the exam?

Here's a pic of my boat... not exactly the original classic look, but I like it :)

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 6:46am
Hi Greg:

That looks real sweet. I'm impressed with your boat. It seems well looked after and in good nick. Also, i do like the look, it was touch and go whether i would do something similar. Being an older model, i felt that the wood grain dash and chrome speedos wouldn't go with an updated exterior. Had i been able to find an '88 - '89. I would've also modernised. The interior (especially the console) of your boat goes very well with your exterior.

Re the Skippers:

I got my results the week after the exam. I will only receive the permanent license docs/card much later due to the states lightning fast processing ability...not. They do however, give you a 6 month temporary license until you permanent is issued. This they undertake to renew every 6 months until they have issued the permanent. The longest i've heard it take was close to a year for the issue of the permanent docs. I do think that with the recent deadlines, the processing backlog will grow.

Don's Diary

Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 10:52am
Hi,

Thanks for the compliments... All the work was done by the previous owner, so I can't take credit :) I think I'll have to do the stringers on mine within the next year or two - my floors aren't solid as a rock, and have a very little bit of give (not sure if it is normal).

I'll probably have to do the work myself aswell, which might be a problem as I can't see myself having the time or a nice place to work on it :( I wonder if there is any company in SA that could do the work and do it properly?
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 11:18am
Greg:

It is a long haul but worth it when you consider the cost of new boats. I'd rather spend R40k and have it redone, or spend R15k and do it myself, rather than spend another R200k to R400k to top up the sales price of the current boat to get a newer or out the box model.

Perhaps if i had that cash to burn i would...not many are in that position though.

I wouldn't just let anyone rebuild my boat....if i were you and in a jam with time and space to do the work, i would contact a reputable boat builder to do the job or part thereof. I pick up you may be in Cape Town and i found the Cape Town Boatbuilding and Technology Initiative (CTBi) website which lists a whole bunch of manufacturers who may help. Perhaps even contact CTBi as a starting point, they may nudge you in the right direction.

Heres the link to their directory search page.

CTBi

Don's Diary

Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 4:29pm
Thanks for the info :)
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 6:14am
I have taken some pics at last. They are a bit dark as they were taken with my phone under my workshop light so apologies for the poor quality.

I have also skipped a few steps that i have completed when i filled the bow and battery area with all it's guts and foam. Nothing major though.

You can now see the extension of the bow bouyancy as i discussed a few posts back. I screwed the kickplate down on top of the epoxy peanut butter, this into the tips of the main stringers and the strut that runs between them on the bow end of the battery box section. I will then just bond the sides of the kickplate to the hull and lateral strut by filling with flocked epoxy butter and successive layers of fibre as one would do the stringers.

I've managed to shape the foam to receive the first floor section being a lay up combination of CSM, ply and weave.

Tonight i'll cut the battery area floor section (6mm ply) and bond it to the stringers, foam and hull with CSM and stainless steel screws. Next, i will be spending some time to prep the bulkhead and bilge area directly under the main floor ply section (18mm ply). This forward bilge ara area just below the main bow floor section needs to be sanded (remove runs of resin) and faired with epoxy fair and fill compound for finish. I thought to do this first before laying the main floor, it would be tricky and messy to try this underneath an already mounted floor panel. All i would then need to do is seal a fillet the areas where the floor meets the stringers and bulkhead.

You can see from my pics that i messed up the height of the main stringer just below this main floor section and had to layer it up a few mm. A ply insert and good amount of epoxy butter and csm did the trick...i'm so mad at myself for this.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 6:25am
The battery box is still a mystery to me. I still can't find one here. Once i've put that floor piece down i'll cut it out and glass a new one in using the foam as a mold. I'm not to happy about this but it's the only solution at this stage. I saw someone use the vacuum process here lately, but i'm not confident trying it, so i'll do successive layers to build it up.

You'll also notice the piping for the battery cables is not i yet. I'll serrate the edge of the pipe and push it through the foam into the shaped cavity, remove the cut foam core, trip the pipe tips and push through for good. The glassing of the box can the begin.

Don's Diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic