Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 SN restore in Idaho

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
jlagrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlagrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 7:49pm
Thanks alot Seth for the info on soing the foam. Have to say I'm alittle uptight about how much to mix, the quick pace of it, and trying not to leave any voids. Then getting it all leveled out like yours. I sure hope the Southwind turns out like yours. Realy NICE Seth! I'd post some pics but not sure how to on this site?
1976 Southwind 20 open
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 9:51pm
Thanks for the kind words. Don't loose to much sleep over it that stuff expands to fill pretty much any void.

There is a thread somewhere on this site about how to post pictures. If they are on your computer it's really pretty easy. Go into the full editor when you are going to post a reply. It's the button with the two white boxes with an arrow pointing up and to the right. Then hit the button with the tree and the upward pointing arrow. That will open a window that will let you browse to the location they are stored on your computer. Select and upload, just make sure that they aren't huge photos or it will take forever to up load and they will be hard to view in the forums. If you need more help do a seach for the post that I mentioned earlier.

Everyone on this site loves photos and they love to help folks out so it might be worth your time. I have received invaluable advise throught this site, in large part due to the photos that I and others have posted. Good luck.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 12:50am
Any one have advice on a coating for my bilge. I have seen some folks have trouble with the interlux after using epoxy resin to do the glass work. I haven't seen any results from pigmented resin, how does that turn out?
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by jlagrow jlagrow wrote:

Hey Seth, your foam looks great!! What aproach did you use to get it so level? I am getting close to foaming my Southwind. Did you get your foam from US Composite?
John

Sorry this is a little bit of a hijack...
Hey John, you need to get some pics of the southwind up, I'd love to compare with my 72. I've finally got most of the floor up and have been digging into the foam and finding tons of water. I'm planning on no foam(tims just another bfn rebuild thread is a great template!!!) To post pics click on post reply(not quick reply).Choose the picture button with the arrow. I've found I need to make them smaller to fit on here. photo resizing
I've used that website to resize pictures to fit on here.
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
jlagrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlagrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 1:14pm
Here a few pics. This is my test run at uploading pics. If all goes well I"ll post some more. These Southwinds are great boats!!!

1976 Southwind 20 open
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 1:51pm
Nice work John. What part of Houston do you live in? What body of water do you boat on?
83Ski
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 3:00pm
A sandbagger. Almost done with the project and he posts his first pics. Looks good. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jlagrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlagrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 6:13pm
Still got quite a ways to go. I split the hull from the deck. That is going to take a little doing to mate them correctly again. Yoo know that the last 10% of the work is 90% of the time!

I live up in Magnolia. Move here 4 years ago from St. Louis MO where I used the Southwind on the mighty Miss. Never got the boat wet in TX. Planning on a spring launch in Lake Conroe.
1976 Southwind 20 open
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 6:28pm
John,
I have to ask why you split the deck from the hull?

Yes, i agree that your work looks to be top shelf. Keep it up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 9:08pm
Looks like he has an open bow Pete. Would be b---- to get in there without splitting the hull. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Looks like he has an open bow Pete. Would be b---- to get in there without splitting the hull. BKH

Thanks Brain. I missed that it was a OB. You are correct the cap would then need to come off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 10:44pm
i would love to be able to work with wood like that most of the time it ends up being fire wood
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 4:13am
Nice Job John. Looks like you've got a good helper to.
jlagrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlagrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 7:29pm
Thanks Seth,
I didn't mean to hijack my project onto your restore site. Realy apprec. the advice and kind words. I was also able to connect with Scott (politicallycorrect)a Southwind guy. Corectcraftfan is a great group!! Oh YES, my helper just cann't wait to captain the ship!! JOHN
1976 Southwind 20 open
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 8:56pm
either can mine, by the time I'm done he'll probably be able to tow me....he's three now :)
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 2:17am
I made some more progress over the last couple of days. The floor in the front is sealed with CPES and bonded to the foam/stringers. I also have part of the first layer of glass over the foam.

And now the invitible happened - I ran out of glass and epoxy. Going to order more tommorrow. I have also decided to go the route of pigmented epoxy for the bilge. Does anyone know how much epoxy it takes to do three ish coats?

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 6:07pm
Advise Please......Did I scr@# up??

I just spoke with the tech guy at US Composites. He said that the 2lb foam with two layers of 1708 biaxial I'm planning on using for the floor will not work. He said that the foam will compress under the glass and cause problems.

I seemed to remember that this lay up is how some other members had built their floor, and I thought that it's how CC built the original floor. When I demoed the original floor I didn't notice if there was any compression under the glass, the main problem was with rotten ply under the seats, amongst other issues.

Should I change my lay up?????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 8:29pm
Seth,
If he said the 2 layers of biax wouldn't work over the 2lb foam, what did he tell you will? Yes, other members have done quite allot of glass over the foam. I have not since I'm one of the "no foam"guys so we'll need to wait for Tim on the answer!!

I love you work!! Very detailed and what looks like fantastic woodworking. Now, I need to get you into a wood boat!! Do think about it. I convinced Billy and now look at the trouble he's in!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 8:39pm
Pete, Im a no-foam guy too!

On the boats I have refoamed, I used at least 4lb density for the floor, as thats where USC starts to consider it "structural". When doing glass directly over foam, I would use no less than 4-5 layers of glass, and probably a few extra over the lighter density stuff.

I would say that a few layers of mat and cloth in addtion to the biax would be a good idea... those are much more cost effective when trying to add thickness and impact resistance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 8:48pm
One thing to keep in mind is 2lb foam will support 35 lbs per sq. in. but that's evenly distributed. The problem comes up when Tim like's to see Melisa in her high heels climb into the boat for an evening ride!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 9:23pm
Pete, he said that it with this lay up it is possible to compress the foam leaving a dimple and thus a void. He said the only fix was to cut out the foam and replace it with 4lb foam, or put down a layer of ply. I'v already place a layer of biax and really, really don't want to go into demo mode !!!

I can't image my lay up being a problem. I can place my whole 210lbs on one foot on the foam and it wont compress. The only way I can get any compression is if I really try to press my thumb into it. But I'm no expert, especially with this stuff.

Do you guys think a different lay up schedule is appropiate??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by KFD14 KFD14 wrote:

Do you guys think a different lay up schedule is appropiate??

Yes, just layup a couple more layers of the biax. You'll be fine. Some of those "tech" guys have never seen a boat let alone done some actual layup!! Sorry, but sometimes they are good and other times not.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 10:06pm
Thanks Pete, somehow that makes me feel a lot better. What do you think about one layer over the ply in the front, it's 1/2", should I do two on that??
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by KFD14 KFD14 wrote:

I just spoke with the tech guy at US Composites. He said that the 2lb foam with two layers of 1708 biaxial I'm planning on using for the floor will not work. He said that the foam will compress under the glass and cause problems.

That's pucky. I saw this in my e-mail and had to jump in. After I leveled my foam(2lb), I coated it heavily with epoxy and then applied 3 layers of cloth in sequence to have it all bonded together. It's solid as a rock.

I went light because I intend to look back in there before I re-gel and it has held up wonderfully. I've jumped in with my big a$$ and 0 deflection after what...3 years?

2 layers of biax bonded all together with the initial epoxy on the foam is plenty IMO.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 10:44pm
Thanks Greg, That's what I was thinking as well.

Oh Pete, thanks for the complements However I don't think I'll be taking on any more progects of this size any time soon. I love wood boats, My grandfather used to have one up north. For now I just want to get this one back in the water.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 2:35am
So I just finished laying the first layer of Biax on the floor.

Had a question I was hoping to get some help with. I was planning on using tinted epoxy for the bilge and battery box, however I don't really like the color of the tint I got. I was wondering if I could use regular latex paint tint, like any paint store would use to tint their paint. I'm running some tests to see if it cures but I wanted to make sure that no one knew of any problems with that mixture.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:54am
I sure wouldnt try it. Order a bunch of different pigments from USC and it will give you more flexibility on the colors you can make. Theyre pretty reasonably priced.

You may also want to get rid of any remaining gel in the bilge before you put resin over it.

Your quality of work looks excellent!
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 2:58am
Ya I know I just don't want to wait for them to ship them to Idaho, a week plus. So I talked to the tech at USC today, he said that any polyester based pigment will work - that is what theirs are. He said that they are commonly used by auto paint shops and that what they use to tint auto pain with will work. Opens up a lot of color options and makes getting the right color easy.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 2:59am
Oh and thanks for the complement
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 4:29am
I got the rest of my glass and resin ealier this week and have made some good progress. I now have a second layer of biax on almost everything. Need to do some touch up and finish the layup around the battery and cooler boxes. Started fairing out the bilge and will be sanding it to try to make it somewhat smooth. Trying to not be to OCD about it but I want to get it a little better than it started. Should be ordering my carpet Monday!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic