NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

And so it begins...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 10:08am
I also spoke to CR at the time, it would have to of been a major malfunction...
lets try the fuel thing first
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:06pm
you can try it but I wouldn't expect any changes, I'm pretty sure you'll need to replace the cam before you see any changes.

You did blue the valve's tip while you where checking the push-rod length and it's centered on the stem correct? if not, you'll be buying new valves before long.

I hope you didn't use standard 351W push-rods if you did then there isn't any need to do anything untill you install the correct length push rods.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:14pm
Chris,
Eric would know the answers to your questions he put it together for me.

My concern is the lean condition the plugs are showing. I was doing some research on the carb and came across a video put out by Holley.
It talked about the power valve in the new carbs having a blow out protection (92 & newer) to protect it from backfires.

I'm wondering that when I first ran it with the two wires switched, if I could have blown the pwr/valve with all the backfires.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:30pm
well if it's fuel, take someone with you, raise the cover spray carb cleaner into the flame arrestor while your at speed if it takes off then yea might be the problem, it just does't sound like it is though also with new plugs they are not going to run chocolate brown over night or after a couple hours of running, especially if your looking at the tip and not the root of the plug.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:06pm
They are definitely burning too lean. Before I dig into the cam theory, I think I’m going to try some carburetor things first and see where that gets me.
Tonight when I get home I’ll try to see what jets are in there and also pull the power valve. My local auto parts has some pwr/valves and jets in stock so I can start there. Hopefully either Friday or Saturday I can get some test runs on the changes.
After that if I don't see any change or don't like the results, then I'll persue the cam lift ideas.

PS: The motor does still have the stock ignition system...points/condenser if that information will help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:17pm
if the push rods are not the right length you'll never get enough fuel/air mixture and will always run lean so re-jetting and changing the power valve won't help if the valves are barely opening.

regarding the ign, as long as dwell was set correctly and the timing is correct then all is good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 6:09pm
Bare with me on this as I’m just learning this technical stuff. But isn’t the fuel/air already mixed when it gets to the valves.

The valves are there to allow X-amount of the mixture in/out of the cylinder. So wouldn't it already be lean before getting there?

Now I could see that if the valves aren’t opening enough due to shorter push rods, then you would be robbing yourself of the full potential of the larger valve/valve openings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 6:19pm
their isn't enough of the charge to fill the volume so it'll always be lean, then throw on top of it a under speced cam it's multipliing the issue.

if everything is like it should be then yes you are correct and re-jetting is called for, but I feel your weak on the cam and short on the length so the geometry is all off in the valve train and throwing more fuel at isn't going to fix it is my gut feeling. Give it a shot i'm just not overly optimistic it will cure the problem and since Eric hasn't commented I'll assume that he used stock push rods which is a major error since orginally they where pedestol rockers and now are stud mounts, and they will not be the same, that's why the gauge was provided and a specific procedure to determind the length was required.

So if the gauge wasn't used and bluing wasn't applied to valve and the engine cycled to determind the length and centering of the roller on the tip, nothing is going to work right and will lead to premature failure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 9:52am
nope, if i remember correctly i used the gauge and they are right where they are suppose to be. i do remember i had the next size rod and it was to much. didnt blue them because they were rollers. if there burning white, they're getting air, we would definitly have a rich situation if not..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

nope, if i remember correctly i used the gauge and they are right where they are suppose to be. i do remember i had the next size rod and it was to much. didnt blue them because they were rollers.

you blue them becaue they are rollers and because they have to be exactly in the middle otherwise you side load the valve stem and trash the valve and rocker because your appling a side load to them, major screw up not doing it correctly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 2:07pm
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I pulled a plug and its white as could be.

A white ceramic alone does not mean you are too lean. The plug tips are supposed to be white. Compustion temps are supposed to be high enough so the plug tips self-clean.

You could very well be just right. There is a method to jetting, and you do not have the essential information to go ripping into the carb yet.

Run it WOT on just the primaries then cut open a plug.

Then add the secondaries then cut open another plug.

Measure the soot ring width on the base of the insulator on each.

BTW, contrary to some advice given, changing the power valve to another number does nothing to volume of fuel above 32 mph or so.

And if you go jetting on tip color your wasting perfectly good time.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 4:34pm

nope, if i remember correctly i used the gauge and they are right where they are suppose to be. i do remember i had the next size rod and it was to much. didnt blue them because they were rollers. if there burning white, they're getting air, we would definitly have a rich situation if not..

well I'm very worried, if you just stuck that push-rod gauge in and used it as is, and you based the length off of that without adjusting the length of the push-rod gauge, or reading the length it was set at and then compared it to something laying around to determind the length, then you did more harm than good and that motor will never last and you need to stick to transmissions only.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 5:40pm
I was looking on the specs on the CR266 cam..as I have the same grind in my boat..
I was given this info by scott...
Lift 490 intake exhaust
Duration @.50 218 I 222 E
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 5:56pm
and let me take another shot in the dark and I bet the heads where not ported either to match up with the intake and exhaust? oh well spend all that money to get the heads right then fall short on the details and leave power on the table
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 8:17pm
Now let’s not get snippy here. This is all a learning experience for me and I am enjoying the lessons learned. That’s why I came to this site in the first place.
Since I found this site I have successfully gutted and replaced the stringers and floor, learned that foam is bad and rebuilt my boat better than factory and learned a ton doing it.
I’ve learned about wet sanding, buffing, waxing.
I've learned about how to get the right prop.
Now I learning the methods of getting more HP out of these motors, I'm here for help not to get ridiculed.
If I remember correctly someone else on here had some problems with their first build, that cost them some extra time and money. It may end up that way for me, but I'm still learning.

As for Eric, he has been nothing but helpful and has bent-over-backwards for me during this whole process.

Chris,
That was a great article you posted I learned a lot from it, that’s the information I come to this site for.
If you want to help me get this right and prove that the parts you put together will make a fast boat then great, HELP, that’s what I’m looking for.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I pulled a plug and its white as could be.

A white ceramic alone does not mean you are too lean. The plug tips are supposed to be white. Compustion temps are supposed to be high enough so the plug tips self-clean.

You could very well be just right. There is a method to jetting, and you do not have the essential information to go ripping into the carb yet.

Run it WOT on just the primaries then cut open a plug.

Then add the secondaries then cut open another plug.

Measure the soot ring width on the base of the insulator on each.

BTW, contrary to some advice given, changing the power valve to another number does nothing to volume of fuel above 32 mph or so.

And if you go jetting on tip color your wasting perfectly good time.

According to Holley the power valve supplies additional fuel for under heavy load and full power situations.
Also according to Holley to check for proper jetting Your supposed to drive your vehicle at the rpm range that you what to check then turn off the ignition so that you get the true reading for that range and you check the insulator tip for the light tan color

I have always been under the impression that the insulator tip was supposed to be light tan. That comes from my days of motocross and snowmobile jetting.

I mentioned the power valve might be blown out from the backfiring it was doing when I had the two wires mixed up. And that idea came straight from a Holley video.
I am going to look and see if it’s the right power valve for it since the head and intake changes, once I put a vacuum gauge on it.
And I figured it won’t hurt to try a different jet size and see what happens.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 9:17pm
and so it begins...

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 10:00pm
Gun driver,
Gotta-ski knows Holleys.
This is what I know. The right P/V will optimize the acceleration when you nail the gas. to keep a ski boat from stumbling a higher # is generally better (4-6.5) something like that it's a tweeking thing for the future. If you think it's blown at least put a known good one in and press on.
The engine I have in my boat now is a rebuild I got, then made it my own. Stealth intake, GT 40p heads with a couple hr.s porting, 1.7 Ford Cobra roller rockers Elec. ignition, Cam Reasearch cam, 540 prop ect..
I put a New holley 4160 on it from Summit but changed the P/V to 6.5 and changed the jets from 66 (stock) to 68's. I also dialed in the choke stat and I'm still fooling with the idle mixture screws.
With 10 ish hrs. it runs very well, but there's still more on the table and I'll keep messing with it.
Hope this helps. My work e-mail is andrew.owsiak@navy.mil shoot me your phone # if you want, always glad to b.s. with a CCFan    
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 11:33pm
Joeys post about covers it,

50 equates to about 5k...i think by re-camming we might pick up a couple but thats about it,its got flats, no we didnt balance the rotating assemblies, yes I use the eye and not the dye....there hitting in the middle, right where they belong...no i didnt spend 8 hours porting heads and intakes...dialing in the carb is a must, it may help it may not.
the cam installed is a good all around cam according to Scott, put the key in, hit it and it starts...no need to lift the lid.

50 is a plateau on these "ski Boats"
put 6 deep and see what happens
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 11:41pm
and btw, when someone says put these heads on, this cam in thats what i get paid to do, but on the other hand if one is told all you have to do is slap these heads on and you'll get 50 out of the boat....maybe thats where the problem originates??????????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 12:15am
I don't know much about these motors(but I'm learning) but with the dirt bikes and sleds any time you modded you usually had to re-jet(pipes, heads, clutching)so it only seems to make sense that when you mod these you should have to change the fuel/air delivery.
I'm not saying this is the fix but I feel it is an avenue to explore.
If it takes a different cam, rechecking the valves/rods, porting then I'll go that route.
Like I said I'm learning and I look to this site for help.

Eric, thanks again can't say enough on how much I appreciate your help.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 12:36am
Just thought I would let you know that I checked out my top speed and with my PCM 330 and the 442 4 blade I was hitting 48 at 5100 rpms.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 12:50am

According to Holley the power valve supplies additional fuel for under heavy load and full power situations.

That is your disconnect. A boat is virtually always heavy load.

A car only needs about 30 hp or less to maintain highway speeds. Conditions you want to the PV to be closed.

My point is by 34 mph any PV you pick will be open.
Any no matter which PV you choose, the volume of gas is exactly the same and does nothing for your jetting at and above those speeds.

And any modern vehicle you choose from a focus to a 911, and anything in between, the plug tip ceramic is, was, and stays white after a wot romp.

for the most part Heat = Power
If you want to make power, you need expanding gasses and that takes heat.

My main point is if your major quest is a tan plug, your reducing the heat, reducing power, and reducing efficiency.

Certainly explore the jetting, but just go about it with the right methods.

I also am experienced with 2S jetting. A white insulator is nothing to fear when the soot ring is 1.5-2 mm.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 9:27am
gotta is on point with the tips, if you re-cam and only re-cam, you'll be lucky to see a couple mph's and you might kill the holeshot,
personally I would get a set of jets, a PV because you dont know the condition, go down to the lake on an early morning and do some runs, put in the 6.5 and go up 2 on the jets and do comps, if you pick up 100 rpm go up another size, if not and you start smelling gas, back off on the jets...these are the simple things first.
make sure the boat is propped correctly,
I believe you are also still running a points ignition, thats a cheap easy out of the box upgrade, Mallory.
you just got the boat running and you need to dial it in,
as you say it runs like a raped ape and these guys are getting the impression that the boat is falling off of a cliff,
I think its performing to its potential, but needs some tweeking, a little more gas and a hotter spark does wonders. if i remember correctly i put chromes in there and they need a good 12 hours to take shape.
to hit the 50 mark i think you'll need some domes in there, a hotter cam and so on....but that 50 mark has a price not only on the pocket book but on reliabilty....50 is the point where things will start to break and the boat will sit. im sure some may comment on the 50 mark as to the reliability aspect.
were not going to hit 50 merely by a cam change....
and my challenge is if someone steps up and tells you yes it will hit 50 with a half inch of lift, i will swap the cam at no cost to you if it doesnt then we will let them pay the labor   lol
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 11:32am
I highly advise chaninging one component in the carb at a time, especially for the novice.

Just like the 2s, you must set the mains first with WOT plug chops and quantitative results like soot ring width ( and in a boat's case top speed) while having the discipline to ignore the subjective performance change down low because in the case of a 2s that will be addresed later with needle profile and clip; in a boats case the pvco's must be 25% the diam of the mains, so if the mains change wildly (and they shouldn't) the pvcos need to be measured, filled and redrilled after doing some math.

Then the pv is chosen when to add the extra fuel an that is more subjective regarding holeshot and hull shape and resistance and where the combination of engine and hull and usage merge.
For instance i found the 2.5 PV is typically closed during 30-32 mph skiing and that makes throttle responce dull because the engine is forced too lean and minute corrections to the throttle were ineffective, a higher number PV like 5.5-6.5 is open in that condition and the engine is responsive because the AF ratio is now correct for the high load condition.

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 11:52am

Eye ball, are you doing this as it moves or when it's closed, piss poor lazy way out it looks center so it should be centered, doesn't work that way sorry half assed IMHO.

When you spoke with CR did you mention the increased compression, doubt it, doubt you even CC'd the heads to know what you had and why you have a 302 cam.

Explained very clearly the heads needed ported, never recommended any cam or it would reach any speed,

Again you are one hundered percent correct you did what was asked and nothing more nothing less, no questions or suggestions, only your thought it wasn't reliable to try and reach x speed since it's just a ski boat.

Fuel and Spark isn't going to correct poor valve train geometry or poor cam specifications, but then maybe the right questions wheren't asked or enough information wasn't given so it could be, compression ratio, intake, exhaust sizes, spring rate, or lift, the heads are not stock in raw form or for the year motor or boat, thats why more detail and care has to be taken.

it just reminds me of another situation where expectations where not meet or satisfaction deliveried, you pay for this you get this. It's like the guy running the club house at the golf course here locally he runs eveyone out of the bar and wonders why his business keeps falling off. And I just went oh no, no you didn't and hung my head in disgust privately when I found out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 3:22pm
79 what would you have done different at 65 bucks an hour, my time aint free, and those parts you peddled surely werent free.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 3:34pm
I'm not being snippy, just disappointed the full potential of the parts bolted on are not being used as intended, due to a lack of understanding of proper installation and proper component matching the requirements needed for the parts being installed,

to me it's cop out to a degree, one unknowing and trusting the mechanic to know and who I feel the worse for, the other making excuses, it's a flat tap, there's a plateau, they say it's good, I only do what is asked and the problem is the song and dance someone sold you, which are all false and all excuses and nothing more.

But hey it sure looks good, other than not sure about the intake, hard to see in the pictures.

But it's like Indy car racing they all have the same chassies, same engine and same tires from the same manufacturers yet some are very fast and some a lot slower than the others. So it boils down to what then if all is the same they should all run the same other than the one variable that is all ways over looked, who's putting it together, who's tuning it, and that is all the difference there is.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 3:43pm

79 what would you have done different at 65 bucks an hour, my time aint free, and those parts you peddled surely werent free.....

Rate of pay is not relavent, I got two 24oz beers and some coffee for driving an hour out of my way and a couple hours of work. But the smiles on their face and gratitude they expressed is more than enough for me, but that still doesn't stop me from worring if I expressed enough how important it was doing the stuff I told him he had to do when they got to the lake and if he remember and the seriousness if he didn't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic