NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Know most of you wont care but...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 6:50pm
so what are all of these and what purpose do they serve?
This is the life
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 6:59pm
Purpose of what? The boat?
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

1986 CC Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 7:15pm
the chines/spraypockets or whatever on the hull---why so many? does each have a purpose? at a different speed or?
This is the life
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 9:32pm
Yeah as the displacement is increased there is a corresponding increase in lifting surface.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by MIskier MIskier wrote:

Yeah as the displacement is increased there is a corresponding increase in lifting surface.

Please expound on this since we do have members who may not understand displacement and lifting surfaces. BTW, to me, they are totally different!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 10:47pm
The boat has multiple chines, as you can see in the photo. This means as the boat sinks deeper in the water due to added ballast there is a corresponding increase in the number of lift generating surfaces (i.e. the reason that there are multiple chines). This means that the boat has more surfaces to generate lift to offset the added weight.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 10:58pm
So, Actually what you're trying to say is, It's a coefficient of correlation between variables of drag and lift in a displaceable current.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:06pm

This means that the boat has more surfaces to generate lift to offset the added weight.

Ok now I'm confused. If you want to offset the added weight, why not just not put in so much weight that it needs offset. The wake is created by the larger displacement, so if the multichine arrangement is to create lift to reduce the displacement, then why not reduce the weight instead of make a complex hull design?

Alan, you sound like that guy talking about the transmission that was posted a couple weeks ago.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:11pm
More so you can get 10,000lbs of boat moving in less than a month, I guess I should have explained the region that we wanted to create more lift.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:22pm
Hahahaha!   Larry, I'm just as confused.
If you want to increase lifting surface, it would be a flatbottom.

Which trans thread?   I was discussing a 10-17-202.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:27pm
I still think the boat is an experiment in ugly.
Meaning, I think the Chiefs were thinking:
"How ugly can we make a boat and people will still pay 100 grand for it".
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:30pm
And then you would obviously have a useless boat as far as a wakeboarder is concerned.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I still think the boat is an experiment in ugly.
Meaning, I think the Chiefs were thinking:
"How ugly can we make a boat and people will still pay 100 grand for it".

Yeh, Al, I'd go with the flat bottom jon boat or look back to what Gar Wood did in the 20's!! He was an true engineer and didn't even have the BS CAD!!! MG, what would the kids do these days without the assistance of a computer????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:36pm
That's my point.   Once I make all wakeboard boats useless, then I can use my boat on a Saturday.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:40pm

That's my point.   Once I make all wakeboard boats useless, then I can use my boat on a Saturday.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:40pm
So no one that uses CAD or is under the age of 45 is a true engineer?
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:47pm

So no one that uses CAD or is under the age of 45 is a true engineer?

You got that correct at least!! Yes, I'm over 45 and do not use CAD!!! I still have a full mechanical and EE degree. I have a feeling you are overstepping your understanding of your true talents!! Keep working on it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:47pm
Mlskier,   You do have to be impressed.   4 pages so far, and you thought nobody cared.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:52pm
The one thing I do really like about the boat.
If it capsized, you would have a real neat set of steps to climb up to the keel to wave for help.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 11:57pm
Wow those two statements encompass quite a few insults that were totally uncalled for.

Many of the things that can be done today were simply not possible without advanced computing software such as CAD, FEA, and CFD, but then again maybe you are soo dam talented that you don't need any of those to accomplish your tasks.

Overstepping my understanding huh, glad that you think that, but until a professor or boss says something like that I really couldn't be bothered to give a darn about what you think my abilities are.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 12:14am
All right fellas cut the guy some slack. He is passionate about using science and research to create something better than was previously possible. Why the personal attacks? He is just sharing something new that has hit the market. I understand that you think its ugly and blah blah blah 4 pages of pi$$IN N MOANIN about it. It is not for you. OBVIOUSLY! I love my old boat and what it has to offer but am not so closed minded about what the future may hold. Ya'll sound like my 15 year old complaining about the new Transformers movie!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 12:15am
I'm thinkin that getting 10,000 lbs going has more to do with 520 horsepower than some 2 inch cuts on the rear sides of the hull.
This is the life
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 12:43am
Ok hear we go, a little lesson for the slalom crowd.

To make a larger wake you need to displace more water.   To make it useful for a wakeboarders you need to do it in a way that makes the wake a rideable shape, so you sink the whole boat, not just one end. Having the engine in the back helps, just like the engine in the middle helps reduce the wake for skiing.   Now all that weight makes the boat a little sluggish out of the hole so the chimes help to lift the back end. Once they get level, the boat runs on the narrower surface in the middle which is deeper in the water because of the ballast to make a wake.   

Now most wakeboarders need to improve their skills more than they need this wake, but the marketing guys have led them to believe they need the wake instead. So they buy these things that most can't even take advantage of, but it keeps the economy rolling along so it's all good. That means Mlskier can work on his DD and maybe one day we can see it in the water instead of on the computer screen.

By the way, when the wakeboarders want to really get some air I know a secret and it doesn't require that, or Pete's kite tube.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

All right fellas cut the guy some slack. He is passionate about using science and research to create something better than was previously possible. Why the personal attacks? He is just sharing something new that has hit the market.

This.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 1:54am

Which trans thread?   

trans thread I was talking about

Pete, take it easy. Just because something is new and different to us, and maybe not our cup of tea, it doesn't warrant personal insults. And I think there are plenty of very capable engineers under 50, or 45 or even 40...I can think of at least two in particular, right now.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 2:58am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Ok hear we go, a little lesson for the slalom crowd.

To make a larger wake you need to displace more water.   To make it useful for a wakeboarders you need to do it in a way that makes the wake a rideable shape, so you sink the whole boat, not just one end. Having the engine in the back helps, just like the engine in the middle helps reduce the wake for skiing.   Now all that weight makes the boat a little sluggish out of the hole so the chimes help to lift the back end. Once they get level, the boat runs on the narrower surface in the middle which is deeper in the water because of the ballast to make a wake.   

Excellent explanation!! It took four pages to get us here, but this is what that new, unique, MC design is all about. The goal is to get the boat to the sweet spot of the hull which is the narrow part on the bottom, but, all the chines help along the way as the hull rises out of the water with increasing speed.

I would also assume that is what the CC 2001 hull tapered chine is doing as well...ie...have a wider hull for more room in the boat, but still a "good" slalom wake once the boat is at speed. I wonder what the 2001 would have looked like with five tapered chines
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 3:46am
You know I can of funny thing I've been playing with lately is weighting my boat. We don't run much, but I added 2 more batteries to the stereo and it really seemed to drag a bit out of the hole. They're behind the back seat weigh about 50lbs, one on each side for balance.   I got noticing that when we get a full boat, 2 people in the front really helps the situation and smooths the ride.

Last week I bought 10 40lb bags of steel shot. I put 4 in the bow as far forward as I could get them for leverage. I put 2 in the back corners against the transom. Then 2 more went in the cabin so we can balance the wakes sizes to side. 320 lbs total. The boat rockets out of the hole like it used to, handles better because it's running flatter and my wake doubled in size.   It's not enough to make the gas bill noticeably higher, and everyone that has ridden with me loves the wake, the performance increase, and the smoother ride. I'm still playing with where to hide everything, and what to shift around depending upon how many people we have. I guess the old barefoot hull just isn't comfortable until she gets level, and 24mph just wasn't quite enough to do that.

All those chines are definitely an engineers solution, the same thing could have been done with a wake plate to push the transom up and then fold out of the way at speed. I guess they felt that solution worked better at slower speeds where the plate might still be down.

As far as getting rid of the wakeboard boats, no need, they don't usually get out til the crack of noon, so the water is still smooth early just like it's always been. Our problem here are the old folks who like to sight see at 8 mph, if someone is actually doing something behind the boat (besides tubing) we're glad to see them working at it. I've watched a 230 and a Sanger DLX barefoot and wakeboard in the same stretch of water, it can be done you just have to work it out with others.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 10:35am
MISkier- you'll never win this crowd over with a new xstar. One of the Ohio Nautique dealers posted a new 2012 super air 210 and we all tore it to shreds comparing it to the style of our older CCs. It's like getting a group of classic ford mustang guys to be excited about a new ford excursion.

IMO the xstar has always been different. Even the first generation of xstar with different graphics than just the company name on the side. The picklefork was different and now even Malibu is coming out with a picklefork design hull (technically they already had one when they introduced Axis but it's technically malibus first). MB sports, Calabria, tige, Malibu, axis have all copied MCs picklefork hull design. I think mastercraft is the one company pushing the envelope of wakeboat design. Do I like the boat? No but I also own 2 classic CCs so my opinion doesn't matter to the people designing this boat because some 17 year old with rich parents will want this boat and will buy it for the family and shell out the 150k to have it decked out so their awkward 17 year old kid can get some hot young girls to come out on the boat and get the kid some action with the ladies.

Nice work on getting a job with the most expensive boat brand in the inboard market. It's not like this guy is interning with bayliner and posting their new I/O wakeboat. The dudes im sure relatively fresh out of school and working for an elite company designing the most expensive wakeboat on the market. That's F*CKING impressive I don't care if he uses CAD or an etch a sketch to get it done. He worked for where he's at. If MC or MB or CC want me to design boats for them I'm gonna say heck yes and load my truck up to go to Tennessee or Florida the next day. Good work man
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 10:53am
ML, I think it's very impressive that you got to work on that design, no matter what company it is. Quite a feather in your cap.

I spent about an hour in the 230 at the NE Reunion and the utility/experience in a boat like that can't be compared to a traditional boat. When Mike first came into the area where we were rafted, there were 6-8 boats. He picked every person up on the raft, except 1 and she stayed to watch the boats, and he still had room for more people! It was a poplular boat all weekend. I know my sons spent a lot of time in it.

I like that the MC does not use drag hardware. The only downside to those boats is the damage/complaints that they may generate, especially on narrow lakes. Our raft got waked by the 230 and most of us weren't too impressed with its wake from that end.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 11:08am
why are you guys trying to scare off another new member?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic