NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shore station

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

A chiller is a central cooling unit that makes cold water.   The cold water is piped to coils much like freon woudl be, but generally on a MUCH larger scale... Pretty extravagant for a residence, not to mention EXPENSIVE!

Ahh yes! I got ya, yeah that's a Tom Baer move, i understand just didn't put 2 and 2 together with it going into a residence, lol.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 6:43pm
Yes, Dreaming is correct. While the capital cost is a lot higher than DX units (think central air compressors), they are often less expensive to run, last longer and provide very even temperature control when tied to water coils and valves.

For a residence, it ain't the Cadillac. It is a Bentley with an Aston Martin thrown in for when you only have one passenger.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 7:26pm
not just that but you dont have to worry about r22 to 410a changes and who knows when or what the next miracle refrigerant will be
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

not just that but you dont have to worry about r22 to 410a changes and who knows when or what the next miracle refrigerant will be

not quite.... the refrigerant is there, its just stuck in the chiller instead of being piped through the system.   Not sure how this system is designed, but usually small chillers are air cooled, this makes them really loud in comparison to DX cooling.   They must have a mechanical room underground or in a remote location to make the noise level balance out. Caddy, Bently, Aston Martin... good analogy    
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Tom Baer! My company did the HVAC automation in his main house. I spent many weeks there when under construction and the first few months of occupancy. He has 3 air handling units and a chiller in a private residence!   Neat guy, cool boats and amazing compound.

Chiller? You mean a central A/C or is this something different for up in the Northwoods? Reason why I ask is, you might have some business! haha.
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

A chiller is a central cooling unit that makes cold water.   The cold water is piped to coils much like freon woudl be, but generally on a MUCH larger scale... Pretty extravagant for a residence, not to mention EXPENSIVE!

Think about what is piped through large buildings!!!!!!! It's not a refrigerant but typically a chilled glycol. I'm currently working on a 500 ton system for process cooling as well as space cooling.

Another way to look at it, that "box" next time you are at a motel/hotel, is not typically a "air conditioner" as you perceive.

BTW, for a large complex, he was probably smart. Cheaper due to all the ductwork needed for a typical HVAC forced air system is not needed. It really comes to play when there are large distances between buildings. Have you though about the air handlers needed and the static pressure drops over long distances? That's not saying air handlers/coils are not needed but they supply a very local small area.

The management system Steve installed is typical these days and has been for many years. Think about this, What happens when the sun is on one side of a large building and it's shaded on the other?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 1:22am
I was going to make a redneck Chiller, pump or 40degree F Pump water that comes into the house though some pipes(about 50ft of 3/8 copper), and route our Cold Air return to run through it.

It was pretty hot in the northwoods this summer, so i rewired the furnace with a 5 wire programmable thermostart to just run the fan and it cooled the house about 5 degrees. Going from 81 to 76 really is nice.

I put a big vent at the cold air return, so it would suck up the cold basement air, I just wanted to take this a step further haha.

Or I can just build one of these lol.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic