NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine rebuilt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 4:12pm
Carb question

I will have the carb rebuilt, clean, new gaskets, etc. I need to rejet for more fuel delivery or it should work the same for the new setup?

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

got it, im sure there is a post somewhere,
when you get the damper put it up to the Flywheel and you will be able to see the spacing needed, it does not sit flush

well finally i´m at the part that I need this info..I can see the damper sits a little rough in the flyweel those ribets in the middle are against it...another thing I noted is the noew damper plate has the same diameter than the fly it almost covers the teeths, the starter comes from the front so it doesn´t get stuck with the damper when it kick in...
so how much clearance do I have to give it? enough for the damper to seat free?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 6:43pm
the starter pinion wont hit it and a 5/16ths flat washer is sufficient to take up the spacing, remember to leave it loose then tighten it through the starter hole. this allows the transmission pilot to center the damper plate
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 6:54pm
eric
the 5/16 is the washer diameter or the width? any idea on the equivalence on milimiters? LOL
Any ideas on the question on the cam and distribution gear install I did on the last 2 post on the page 4?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Carb question

I will have the carb rebuilt, clean, new gaskets, etc. I need to rejet for more fuel delivery or it should work the same for the new setup?

Stay with the same jetting it has in it for now, after you get the motor running you can do some plug checks and see how close you are but my bet says you won't change a thing.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 11:22pm
yeap that was my guess also...thanks....
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 9:26am

eric
the 5/16 is the washer diameter or the width? any idea on the equivalence on milimiters? LOL
Any ideas on the question on the cam and distribution gear install I did on the last 2 post on the page 4?

Kapla that will be 5/16" bolt diameter size use a 8mm metric washer will be very close.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 10:17am
Lewy, a big ford guy told me yesterday that the Aussie Ford heads over there are better than the american heads? any truth? i do remember Mad maxs car whatever kinda ford that was
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

eric

Kapla that will be 5/16" bolt diameter size use a 8mm metric washer will be very close.

gotcha!!!

hare I got some pics of the engine of yesterday when I picked up from the machine shop and today almost finised the assy

heads they do have the gt40p cast..

note the heat plugs..they melt at 255-260 if you cook them and melts away forget about the warranty!!!

Now for the damper install I was with so doubts about the tips, the bell housing doesn´t have a starter hole in the back, as the starter come from fwd..one you put the housing and the tranny no acces to the bolts

I´m missing something? cause the bolts are accesible from the back and not form fwd...

will finish assembling everything and ready for paint

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 4:47pm
btw here is th epic of the fit of the damper to the fly, no shim here ...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 6:47pm
This weekend I will paint the engine, I´ll take some pics of the bef and after. Also I was going to do the paint on the water and crank pulleys, started to remove the paint to then sand blast them and then use some spray paint, but I will take to them to a shop that chrages me around $20 for the sandblast and the powder coat paint!!!
Pics to come!!!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2009 at 7:44am
Looking good Sebastian, not far off now back on the water soon
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2009 at 8:00am
As for centering the damper read here that some have to drill the housing for a rubber bung, as to the best place you need to run it by Eric.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2009 at 10:45am
or through the starter hole
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2009 at 11:30am
Sebastian - To tighten the damper screws through the starter hole, you will need a swivel ratching box end wrench. I just drilled a hole in the bell housing - was lucky to get it on center. That way I could use a torque wrench. But then I am obsessed with doing things the hard way!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2009 at 2:18pm
if you want a beautiful paint job on the engine go with Basecoat clearcoat, holds up very well
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2009 at 3:29am
well some pics of the job done today!! first some masking....

after the paint

the tranny was also painted as it was black, now it matches the entire engine...

flywheel cover

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2009 at 4:32pm
Looking fabulous Sebastian!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2009 at 10:07pm
ain't that cute?

now I need to pait the t-stat housing and the lower elbow, as they are with the old paint. I was planning to leave them like, but definetely need to be painted to match the engine...details!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2009 at 10:08pm
the starter will also receive the cosmetics....lol
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 4:26pm
I was wondering if its a good idea to test run the engine on the craddle prior to putting it in the boat. As its in the shop it can be tested and adjusted with the correct tooling. Then the minor tweaking can be done on the boat.
If so what are the connections needed for that task, water, and electrical...
I´m still figuring out how to adjust the damper plate through the starter hole...tight space there!!! I will probably drill a hole in the bellhousing to make it easier...How important is this to the mounting of the tranny
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:04pm
how important is it to get your wife flowers on Valentine's day?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:05pm
90 degree gear rachet wrench through the starter hole works just fine
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:08pm
I´d say the flowers are very important!!! that answer the damper adjustment question...

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:13pm
No matter where you start that up for the first time be prepared to run it for a break in. I know you had the cam broken in at CR but I still wouldn't skip this step. You can go groom the poodle after the breakin is done.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:19pm
So at least I should fire it up for say 20 minutes and reving it up to 2000 rpm´s
About connections needed in the case of the cradle, water I can skip the rwp sytem and fill the engine directly and working only with the circulating pump..or better do it with the water going through the rwp system?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:29pm
I ran my test stand with just a circ pump and water hose....my feet got wet, but it did the job
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I ran my test stand with just a circ pump and water hose....my feet got wet, but it did the job

Eric,
I have to assume this was done without the trans hooked up?? With the trans hooked up and the pump in it running will it not develope heat to the point where the oil cooler is needed??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 6:42pm
Anyway my idea was to test it w/o the tranny hooked to the engine...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 10:12pm
Seb, I'd put it with the raw water pump on since you will be breaking it in for 20 minutes and that is some time. You have nothing to loose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic