NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 4:05pm
Mike, I have Dr. Phil's number close, do I need to share it with you.A little one on one therapy is good for the soul.....bong water?????

The count down has started ...............
Can not wait to see that white stuff........
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

Wow, all of you are better at being pricks then giving advice.

Nice.

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 4:56pm
He may just be busy at the moment. Probably out with 3 other yard boys re engineering a marine exhaust manifold into a 4 hole bong. Imagine the cooling you could get by running chilled (-100F AF of course) liquid through the water porting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by 502Python 502Python wrote:

As long as your bong water is a 50/50 mix of -100 A/f and water and you don't drop Dorito crumbs in the thermostat you should be OK.

And whatever you do, don't spill the bong water. It's harder to get the smell of bong water out of your interior, than the orange Cheetos stains. (or so I've heard)
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Originally posted by 502Python 502Python wrote:

As long as your bong water is a 50/50 mix of -100 A/f and water and you don't drop Dorito crumbs in the thermostat you should be OK.

And whatever you do, don't spill the bong water. It's harder to get the smell of bong water out of your interior, than the orange Cheetos stains. (or so I've heard)

Your kids tell you that?

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Mike, I have Dr. Phil's number close, do I need to share it with you.A little one on one therapy is good for the soul.....bong water?????

The count down has started ...............
Can not wait to see that white stuff........

Billy, you are out of your mind. I am hoping there is no white stuff when you get up here.

You mean Dr. Randall, right?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

joe_schindler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 5:46pm
Well; as the new guy here; let’s see just how many folks I can torque off:

why would the thermostat be closed if the engine is warm? it has to be cooled or it will go from warm to really hot. I dont know what work ethics have to do with this. i wish you all would focus on the actual thing being disagreed on, rather than acting like children. when you argue with children they do the same thing and start going off on other things. too much circular reasoning going on here

I know people will pay $20 to $40 for a thermostat; but do you really think a $1 part will never fail? Thermostats stick; usually shut.

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

why would the thermostat be closed if the engine is warm?

The thermostat opens or closes as the coolant temp rises or falls. This has little to do with block temp.If the block temp is 200 and you pour in 75 degree mixture the 'stat will slam closed till the mixture reached the opening temp of the thermostat,140 or so,,,,,,,,,,,DUH?????

I won’t ask how you boys and girls rig your boats up; but for me: block temperature is pretty close to coolant water temperature. Cylinder heads may be a bit warmer. The water I use is pretty thermally efficient at gathering heat from the engine; and spreading it around. My thermostat seems pretty efficient at limiting the upper range of engine temperature for me. And; I can only get the pumps to cram so much water into the eingine at any time.

Again; I don’t know how the coolant flow is in your engine; but if my block is 200 degrees; and the thermostat opens; and 75 degree lake water starts it’s path; it’s a long time till the 75 degree water gets to the thermostat; and it’s probably warmer than 75 by then. The thermostat is pretty much the last thing that 75 degree water sees before it gets left behind.

that makes no sense. the water being that meets the thermostat is cold as well. the af is cold too. why would it close just when af hits it

I get lost on this one; but again; starts cold; gets warm; stays warm; gets a little warmer; exits thermostat; goes back to the lake; lake gives me a little more cold water.

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Quite the discussion. If I was a marine mechanic, I would take out the drain plugs. That way you are conforming to the manufacturer's service guidelines. Always best to follow the rules when liability comes into play.

If the plugs were rusted in or stripped (common, I am sure), that would be a great repair opportunity to make some extra money.

It’s mentioned in the other thread about Winterizing; but a generous dollop of; no-seize, anti-seize, or never-seize on the plugs of all kinds makes next year’s job just that much easier.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Sweet.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I was hoping that no one else had to sit through that.

Originally posted by lonestar lonestar wrote:

Ive decided to bury my boat at a minimum of 36" below the surface of the driveway to insure im below the frost line for this area. Im just waiting on a soil sample to decide if I should leave the cover on or not ?

Store the cover in the garage. It will be fine. Don’t forget to use a good pre-emergent and dig it up in early Spring; or you will be pulling little fiber-weeds all Summer long.

And; if you think I’m saying anything on this thread about how I winterize my boat; you’re nuts.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by joe_schindler joe_schindler wrote:

And; if you think I’m saying anything on this thread about how I winterize my boat; you’re nuts.

You learn quickly Grasshopper.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 7:06pm

Oh no!! Not another one!!

All I can say is if you follow the recommended procedure (pour in) then you won't have to worry about the T stat and it sure would have made this thread shorter!!

Joe,
If I haven't already mentioned it, welcome to CCfan. Stick around as I feel you have allot to contribute to the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 7:16pm
So you guys trying to say i can't just throw the cover on and leave it on the lift all winter?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 7:38pm
Bwahahahaha, I just read this whole thread and blew diet coke through my nose on my keyboard.... Thanks a lot... Now I just sold all my boats so I don't have to ask how to winterize them. Hope you're happy...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

joe_schindler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Oh no!! Not another one!!

All I can say is if you follow the recommended procedure (pour in) then you won't have to worry about the T stat and it sure would have made this thread shorter!!

Joe,
If I haven't already mentioned it, welcome to CCfan. Stick around as I feel you have allot to contribute to the site.

Pete:

Yes; I got your welcome a few days ago with my first post on the how to tell a painted boat thread. Then we got into the Ford FE discussion.

As far as winterizing; I could probably do nothing and get away with it most years. Part of the risk/reward ratio is what your winter is expected to be. I tend to put more effort into it than necessary; but that’s not even a minimum job for someone just a few miles north of me.

I hope I have something of value to offer. I’ve been the one with less than no knowledge many times before.

Thanks,

Joe
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 8:20pm
So, dudes, as I'm draining the water and gettin' that AF100 ready, do I hold my finger on or off the bong's carburetor?

You guys crack me up! I laughed my a$$ off reading the last page of all this stuff.

This is a great group of folks having tons of fun brought together by a bunch of old boats. Too bad some people take it way too seriously.

ssssssssssssstt....eeeeeer man!

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 8:26pm
eeeeer!!

I would consider going with the MPI bong, then no fogging is required.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 11:01pm
I am literally at a loss for words

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 11:03pm
Although I will say I don't use drugs and certainly do not say like or dude. Correct craft owners are certainly stubborn in their methods.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 11:07pm
A real question now, lets keep this one mature boys. Did the ASkier come with foam in the floors? I have no foam and the wood is solid. I cannot decide if they have been replaced or not. However, the fiberglass is peeling away from the wood in some places. Not a good sign I know.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 11:19pm
I found all of this discussion terribly confusing. I thought I knew how to winterize my boat, but after reading this I wasn't sure...until Alan and Billy cleared it up for me. I think I'm all set now. If it gets really cold, I've got some extra blankets.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 11:45pm
The 1960 American Skiers difinately did not have foam.

Larry, you have a very understanding wife.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 11:55pm
They must have been smart in the 1960's! keep sponges out of the floors of boats!
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 12:21am
   Fastest bed in the Nor'east right there. What, no orange CCF stripe on the comforter, Larry ??

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 12:59am
Very funny Larry.
Got a great laugh from that one.

Do you have a spare room for my 351?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 1:13am
Thoughts on anything other than stabilizer if I'm keeping her in a heated shop?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 1:39am
Now I know what the lump was in the bed up at Buffalo's house a few weeks ago.

I don't winterize any more but I would never miss the fun on this yearly thread.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:53am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Now I know what the lump was in the bed up at Buffalo's house a few weeks ago.

That was the 10-18. I'm getting the Pumpkin ready to put on the porch for Halloween!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:55am
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Thoughts on anything other than stabilizer if I'm keeping her in a heated shop?

Ryan,
I typically always have one of my boats home for the winter alternating year to year. The idea is to give them a freash coat of varnish/paint of course it always doesn't go as intended!! I'll fog and Stabil only and not even bother with draining.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 9:08am

A real question now, lets keep this one mature boys. Did the ASkier come with foam in the floors? I have no foam and the wood is solid. I cannot decide if they have been replaced or not. However, the fiberglass is peeling away from the wood in some places. Not a good sign I know.

No the Atom did not come with foam in the floors. Non of the wood boats did and even the early glass didn't have it ether.

The glass is peeling off the wood because it was put on as a "quick and dirty" repair/patch job for a bad hull. Glassing a wood hull unless done properly, very carefully and preferably with new wood and epoxy is the "kiss of death" for the boat. It actually will speed up the deterioration of the wood by promoting rot.

The glass has got to come off and now most likely the hull will need a new ply skin. Post some pictures. (start a new thread too)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 10:04am
at least the dizzy is in the back where you guy's like it lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 10:32am
Pete, I think he's talking about an American Skier.

The early fiberglass boats had foam as an option. I will not refoam a boat either. And pool noodles qualify as foam. Even though the noodles don't absorb water, they trap it and block air circulation. Any kind of foam is very, very bad, except maybe in a brand new, all fiberglass boat, and even they trap water, so who knows in another 10 years maybe we'll be seeing people tear into '94 and up boats that have big problems. The jury is still out on those.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 10:40am
Did any one ever think of using something like 2 litre plastic bottles stuffed in the voids( so they don't roll around) instead of foam?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic