NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang H/M engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 7:43pm
why in the world would you ever even consider putting 15 grand into a boat worth 6? if you could actually get that in this market? you could buy one done well for 5 i would think
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 7:48pm
On my lake, they're worth less than 3.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 7:53pm
That's why I had kind of a lol moment when I saw the price tag on the NY boat.

I would think a person could buy the NY for 5, add 3 and have an absolute perfect little vintage craft.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 8:29pm
If I absolutly had to have another old Mustang I would probably drag this one home.

But, probably not.
After owning a 66, I would prefer a '72-'74.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 8:47pm
I am hearing a revel for around the $10,000 figure now. The $20,000 guy didn't really sound interested. I got some close UPS of the NY Mustang and they showed a lot of spider cracking so I may be in the same boat with that one. I really like the ones with the scoop on the front, they are so over the top. The one in NY is very early and lacks the front scoop, it has the scoops on the gunwales. There is one in MS that looks nice and I have talked to the owner a few times. I can not get down to see it until Oct though. I would love to know more about a blue one that a member of the community said he may have a line on. I know some of you may not like the idea, but if I can find a really clean one from about 68-71 I would like to make an SS H/M clone, much like about 75% of the Shelby Mustangs or Chevelle SS cars running around. I have the complete H/M engine, console, gauges and stuff to do it. I feel there is nothing wrong with a clone as long as you don't present it as an original. They all popped out of the same mold anyway. I would sacrifice this boat and part it to create one and some owners could use the left over parts to get another one on the water. Please CC fans, don't hate me for my unpure thoughts. I just want a really nice one to use and love!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 8:59pm
This is one of the nicer Mustangs I've seen for sale. It was listed last year. Don't know if he ever sold it or not, but if I was looking for one that didn't need work, this would be it.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2372&sort=&pagenum=1
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 9:01pm
How bout the Yucatan Yellow in Orlando?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 9:07pm
Well Dr. It is all well and good, but as it says, the gel coat shows its age. So how am I ahead? Show me the really nice $5,000 67-71 Mustang. Just like the cars there seem to be a lot of cheap ones out there, but they are certainly not show worthy or original. I know some ACBS members/boat owners who have put far more into their boats than they will ever get back. It's not about a profit, its about enjoying a like new antique boat to me. I also know what a new tow boat costs and $10,000 probably covers the stereo upgrade in a new one.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 9:25pm
You won't find one without gel stressing.
To me a small amount of gel stress is merely vintage petina.

I about hit the floor when I heard 20 grand for a re-gel.
But, if you are asking for a re-gel with zero stress and a guarantee for none to ever return, then his estimation was not to far out.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 9:50pm
Yea, the guy who thought around $10,000 has a written guarantee.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 10:32pm
The yellow one in Orlando sold in June or July. I was really pumped about it and called on it. I also reported it sold to the site. I was looking at the SC boat too, but I believe it sold as well.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I about hit the floor when I heard 20 grand for a re-gel.

I suppose if I didn't really want to do a job,I'd give a high quote too,but if he insisted I could cave.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 11:18pm
I asked the NY boat owner to send me some close UPS of any spider cracking. He was very nice and sent me some photos. Although the boat is nice, I am not sure this is what I am looking fot
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 12:46am
We're running out of good ones John!

Here's something else to think about.
I re-gel coated my '66 in 1986.   The stress cracks did not re-appear until 2.5 to 3 years later.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 1:28am
The stress cracks will always reappear if the condition that caused them is not corrected. My Mark Twains are 47 and 39 years old and there is not a stress or spider crack in either one. They are extremely rigid and heavy for their size. The 64 has hollow core fiberglass stringers that never deteriorated and therefore never lost their integrity as a structural member, therefore no stress cracks. The 72 has just been kept in a heated garage since new and has only been used six out of its 39 years. I am not trying to make this a testimonial for Mark Twain boats, I wouldn't consider trading two for a Mustang if I was, but I think that a lot of Mustangs have been used after the integrity of the stringers has been compromised resulting in hull flexing causing stress cracking. No flexing = no stress cracking. The load should not be carried by the skin.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 2:00am
I think in Correct Crafts case something else is happening.If you pull my step pads off there is terrible cracking underneath,same with a couple of spots under the windshield frame.I don't believe they are stress related and don't look like it either,looks more like the gel is "drying" out. However I do have stress cracks around my front lift ring and a blended in repair that looks to have been there along time and matches pretty well.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 2:13am
Hey DR., I didn't get it about " the petina" at first, but they're only original once.

I am also now thinking that a parts boat is not as crazy as I thought at first. A clean hull under a descent Mustang SS deck and gear would go good with the drivetrain. I would then be tormented by Thesus' Paradox.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 2:24am
The Mark Twains were blown in the mold with a chop gun.
Do you think blown hulls are less apt to stress or the quality of the gel itself?

I attribute the gel issues to late season lay-up with a high moisture content. And initial gel quality.

My '66 had no where near the amount of stressing the one in the pics does.   And I did run it till it started breaking motor mounts, and it was wrecked once.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 2:47am
I am not arguing, I am sure there are many out there with less stress and shrink cracking, and you are undoubtedly more experienced than me, not only in Correct Crafts, but probably all boats. It's easy to research, experience takes years. The NY boat is still nice looking and the owner was exceedingly nice to photograph the blemishes. If those are the two worst spots I am sure it is very nice, and I would be very proud to own it. I also like it because it must be early and doesn't have the scoop on the nose. It is a candidate, but you wouldn't want to change anything on it in my opinion. On the other hand if I could find a good hull that needs a drivetrain I'd be all set.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 3:05am
I thought you prefered the scoop style front deck.

have you inquired about the one in Alabama?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 3:27am
Hey Dr.
Maybe that AL boat looks pretty good."gel coat shows its age" could mean a wet 1500 buff & wax. I didn't man to imply I don't think its a deal. Has those cute little wing Windows too!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 3:53am
I guess I like them all. Not just the Mustangs, but all of the models. The small size, light weight, good performance, and relatively low cost make the Mustang a good choice for me. I can't afford a new one, and the Mustang is from my early skiing days. We had a Lone Star, a Thompson, and a Cruisers, however I always liked the sleek plastic inboard ski boats the "real skiers " had.   I was never very good, and probably wouldn't have been even if my dad had one, but now I can pretend as I putt around in it & maybe take a daughter or two skiing. I have one who would have a smile on when driving it.

BTW, does anyone know for certain the year range when the Mustang hulls, minus the deck, fittings and dog house, were identical? 65-71 perhaps, or were there more changes than are apparent?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 11:27am
Do you have more shots of the gel? How bad is it really? I have all sorts of cracks in mine. I don't think I've seen a restored boat that didn't.

Once you sand/buff and get her all shiny again, when she's on the water you don't see the cracks. Unless your looking close. But all old boats have their flaws, I just call it Character

Here are a few shots of mine.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

BTW, does anyone know for certain the year range when the Mustang hulls, minus the deck, fittings and dog house, were identical? 65-71 perhaps, or were there more changes than are apparent?

The 16'1" hull was used as early as '63, I believe... it was used for American Skiers, Tahoes and Star Flites at first, and later Mustangs, Skylarks and Skiers. It was used through 1970. The new 16'5" hull was introduced for '71.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 12:30pm
And there were two different molds.

Smooth transom and the one with bump-out for the lifting block.

I think the old mold may have been used in early '71.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 1:05pm
vondy, your cracks look mostly like they're from poor docking...
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

vondy, your cracks look mostly like they're from poor docking...

Yeah that's my guess. Poor docking and a lot of beaching.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 11:05pm
Wow, you guys are brutally honest about the condition of your boats. I really love them and it is obvious there is a lot of boat Passion out there.
In light of this and in keeping with the "they're only original once" philosophy I believe I have turned the corner and have a new appreciation of what the Boat Dr. calls patina, and others may call loving use. I am now going a slightly different direction. Here is a preview of what I hope will be on the lift next spring, and hopefully at GL if I can swing the deal Just a hint, the 69 SS was a 2V, although it had been converted to a 4V with the correct 1969 intake manifold. I am not sure if that really enhanced performance. Amazing what you can find nearby.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 4:57am
Well, I did it, I just closed on another Mustang. I will pick it up in a week or two, maybe I will have enough time to take it for a spin this year. This one is pretty clean and has a H/M 235hp 4V. I believe it is a 70 by the title, However I have been warned by those in the know on this site not to make assumptions. The boat is S/N M2799 and is not an SS. It has a few issues, but I can address them myself. The H/M manifolds have been replaced with Osco aftermarket manifolds long ago, the front scoop is missing, it has had a snap on pad made for the top of the flat top fiberglass dog house and it has aftermarket seats bolted to the original seat frames in front. There is a minimum of cracking by CC standards. It has the fiberglass rear seat frame I just happen to know where I can get the manifolds, scoop, horn, spare H/M engine and a host of other parts. Just about the only thing I will need is front seat frames, well, I do have one, but it is cracked. I am pretty excited about this boat. I will be at the GL reunion next summer.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 5:03am
In the photo it has a long pylon. The owner had that made for wakeboarding. The boat comes with the original as well. Looks like I will have some extra parts and #2 trailer with a owner engineered tongue to find a home for. There is a little voice in my head that is telling me this could be made into an SS clone with the extra parts, but for now just a winter of polishing, detailing, maintenance, and switching out those manifolds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic