NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Have you contacted Minicraft yet for a color matched quart of gel paste?

Pete,

They are sending color swatches for me to match.

I think you are cutting the header on your quotes. In this case it was missing '[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]'.

That's only FWIW...and I want to see the phantom pic!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I think you are cutting the header on your quotes. I this case it was missing '[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]'.

So Michelle's habit has been bothering you too!! I've been meaning to bring it to her attention but am always too busy with her other topics!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:47pm
Wish I had those drink cup "circles" that someone cut out of the dash.

I told her (minicraft) what year the boat was and told them the cc color. She said they had a color selector that they sell for 75.00 that includes all colors, but I didn't need that.

She said that they save alot of the "matched" colors and label them. I explained what the color looked like to me and she said she would send swatches of what she has on hand.

I have some time, so I'll see what comes in the mail.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I think you are cutting the header on your quotes. In this case it was missing '[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]'.

So Michelle's habit has been bothering you too!! I've been meaning to bring it to her attention but am always too busy with her other topics!

And you pointed out a typo for me?!!?   LOL

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:51pm

Do you have a horn on the boat?

Better?

No horn
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:53pm
Lee,

You know I'm always cleaning and scrubbing boats. I can rub the gel till it matches.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:56pm

Do you have a horn on the boat?

Better?

No horn

I asked because it may be a great spot to cut out a sample (use a hole saw) to send to Minicraft. Find a period correct horn and make sure the base of the horn will cover the cutout (patched). Wet sand and buff the area first to give them a true representation of the final deck color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 3:00pm

I asked because it may be a great spot to cut out a sample Find a period correct horn and make sure the base of the horn will cover the cutout (patched). Wet sand and buff the area first to give them a true representation of the final deck color.

Great idea! I still want to see the color swatches they send though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 3:30pm
Michelle,
I went looking in our ref. section and the diaries for pictures of horns. The horn was about a $20 option back then so I'm thinking it was the small round electric. I couldn't find a picture but did find some pictures of the single and dual trumpet style air horns. These may have been a dealer install but still appropriate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 3:54pm

I'm thinking it was the small round electric.

Pete,

Would that electric horn be mounted up under the dash? I DO believe I have that.

I didn't dismantle the dash or electrical, but I do remember...if it's approx.3" round.

JB does the engine and wiring work. I'm doing the cosmetics.

Now I will have to search through his baggies. Tried calling him, but he's out there protecting us somewhere.

At any rate, will this horn be blowing inside the boat under the dash????
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:10pm

Yes, Pete. JB called me back and the mustang has the electric horn. The cuda has none.

So I guess I will find a hole to cut elsewhere. Maybe I'll just take a piece beside where the drink holders were cut.

Still want to wait on those swatches though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:11pm

Pete,

Would that electric horn be mounted up under the dash? I DO believe I have that.

I didn't dismantle the dash or electrical, but I do remember...if it's approx.3" round.

At any rate, will this horn be blowing inside the boat under the dash????

I believe that the USCG required horns of some type for a long time. My 54 has one and it's a automotive surplus black painted under the bow deck. That would be the standard horn and the optional would be the deck mounted chrome.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:18pm

I believe that the USCG required horns of some type for a long time. My 54 has one and it's a automotive surplus black painted under the bow deck. That would be the standard horn and the optional would be the deck mounted chrome.

Interesting. That must not be the case now, right Pete? My Skier has no horn.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:42pm
a horn or other sounding device required underway but not as standard equipment your whistle on the key chain works fine
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 9:02am
The horn issue must be a very "gray" area in the early years. Even back to the pre WWII days some boats had them. I'll have to do some investigation! Our chaperters safety director is a Power squadron member who teaches USCG classes and would be a good person to ask!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:03am

The horn issue must be a very "gray" area in the early years. Even back to the pre WWII days some boats had them. I'll have to do some investigation! Our chaperters safety director is a Power squadron member who teaches USCG classes and would be a good person to ask!

Pete,

I emailed my cousin from MD who is USCG and here is his reply.

****I'll give you a more complete answer tomorrow, but no, a "horn" is not the only approved or required sound producing device for a vessel.
Required sound producing devices depend on the length and type of vessel and whether underway, weather conditions, etc.***

I will email him again and ask if the laws have changed since the "early" years.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:12am
And.....the Steelers do it again!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:21am
Michelle,
I got a little more detailed in my question.

"The question came up on correctcraftfan.com whether the boat manufacturers were required to supply horns on boats. Through the years it seems that there were times like the 50's they did and then in the 60's no and then the 70's yes again! I know present day regulations require that you simply need something on board and even a whistle will do. I do know the sirens that were popular in the 60's were banned!!!"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:28am
I asked my cousin to come to this site and gave him the steps to reach this post. Maybe he will sign up and join in.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:32am
Pete my friend you are really reaching on this one. You spent too much time around expensive inboards. The actual regulations on what the boat must have underway has always varied depending on type and length of vessel as well as where it is operated (inland vs open water varies as well as state to state). Coast Guard regulations on boat manufacture I am quite certain never required anything like a battery powered horn. I have been on dozens and dozens of small outboard boats of all ages that dont have battery's much less horns. A battery powered horn on a sailboat with a kicker or even a small inboard would be simply underheard of in any era as well.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:41am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Pete my friend you are really reaching on this one. You spent too much time around expensive inboards.

Joe,
Are you saying the Atom is a expensive inboard? Why does Michelle's Mustang have the below deck horn too? I'm not "reaching" just want to find out some history. I'm very aware of present day regs.
I too had my share of small outboards. I grew up in a 14' Alumacraft. I also remember in the 60's having to carry a hand held air horn with me!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 12:20pm
I am saying the atom is an inboard and therefore relatively expensive as are all inboards. I have spent considerable time on a motorized coast guard approved vessal from every five year period from 1940 to the present day without a factory installed horn. It would have been an unreasonable requirement on boats that only had starters as optional equipment. A lot of the add on/dealer install electric start kits on 50s-60's outboards came with a dash plate with a big emblem in the middle , a key switch, a horn button and more rarely a light pull switch. It was assumed that you would add those options now that you would have a battery onboard.

Now my favorite factory installed horn of all time was the dual trumpet deck mounted horn factory installed in an early 60's lyman outboard given to a summer camp I worked for, it had a good sized replacable freon tank, and an electric solenoid valve operated by a dash button. Not environmentaly friendly but an unmistakeable tone, never sounded the same once we ran out and switched to compressed air.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Now my favorite factory installed horn of all time was the dual trumpet deck mounted horn

Absolutely especially under bridges! My X has one. The first 10 years I had it, I was able to get the large Freon (probably R12) tanks but of course that ended. My solution was finding two 30lb tanks of a obscure Freon type here at the plant that was no longer used (the equipment had been removed). Mounting one under the bow deck and then adapting the solenoid valve via a short piece of double flared copper tubing. Unfortunately the copper couldn't handle the rough ride and vibration creating leaks. I tried it a second time with the other tank of Freon with the same result. Doing it over again I'm not sure if I'd try to go with hose inplace of the copper or go the compressor route. One thing for sure , with the compressor you need a decend unit and a rather large surge tank for the air. Using one of the small compressors for the automotive aftermarket air horns isn't the way and the large Buell compressors get pricy!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 11:54am
Pete, More horn information from my cousin. This is still general and doesn't refer "just" to cc's.

The CG publishes a book called " Navigation Rules" which is updated with minor rule changes often.
However the basic Inland Rules have been in effect since 1980 when the Great Lake Rules, the Western River Rules, the Motor Boat act of 1940 and various pilots rule were pulled together and put in effect December 24, 1981.
The Nav Rules book describes the international rules on the left page and the US inland rules on the right page.
The essential difference is when a vessel in international waters signals with one short blast it means "I AM altering my course to starboard." you aren't asking ,you are doing it.
When a vessel in US inland waters signals with one short blast it means "I INTEND to leave you on my port side." In other words you are going to do it unless you get a Danger signal (five short blasts) from the other vessel.
All the rules in this 215 page book are for the purpose of preventing collisions between vessels.
Sound producing devices such as whistles, bells, gongs, horns, and fog horns, are the required items. The length and type of boat dictates what your specific vessel must have on board, and in workable condition, to be in compliance with Coast Guard regulations.

Boats under 39.4 feet long, need only a horn or whistle (athletic whistles are acceptable).
For instance if you use a whistle be sure you have the wind power to, for instance,
produce a prolonged (four to six second blast) meaning you are leaving the dock followed by three short blasts if you are backing out.
blink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 7:49am
Hi sanity I miss you just a note to say hi to all on cc forums from guam. thanks to all you guys for giving shell some great advice.
BTW looks like I lost my 82-2001 to sanity
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 11:53am
What a pleasant surprise
Since you have been gone, Moj has given me a new nickname of Powder Puff Girl.
The primer is completely gone, the dogbox is all wetsanded to perfection (as well as my left finger prints GONE)!Yes, I am using a block, but the paper covers the side too. Gloves on for the duration. I started wetsanding the hull. It's looking great! And yes...I still like the yellow.
It's snowing here again. Pretty, but you know how fond I am of the cold.
I'm keeping myself busy and everyone else is trying to do the same. I'm missing you.
The Mustang might be half way done by the time you come home.
Thank you for protecting all of us. The kids and I feel safe and secure.
Tell the "guys" hi.
We love you and we miss you!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 12:04pm
absence makes the heart grow fonder, my brother in law was stationed in Guam, he is in the chair force lol, he came back with recipes of thier food.... I'll pass on the Guam food. Blink be safe, and it seems as if you have someone that cares alot about you
"the things you own will start to own you"
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

came back with recipes of thier food.... I'll pass on the Guam food.   

Eric,
What do they eat in Guam??? No pizza huts?
I know he's eating well and enjoying all of the fish. Not to mention the 90 degree temp.and girls in bikini's.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 1:19pm
Blink,
Thank you for doing what you do to keep all of us safe. Sorry to hear you'll be gone for the holidays. But what the hell, you'll still have fingerprints

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 1:58pm

all wetsanded to perfection (as well as my left finger prints GONE)!Yes, I am using a block, but the paper covers the side too.

Michelle,
Been there many a time. You always know when the water you are using for wet sanding starts to turn pink!!!

John, Keep up the good work. You're in our prayers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
  Share Topic