NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 82SN in South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 10:20pm
^Ha^       I like that idea, boats and kids in even numbers.. you could tell her you are down one already. She may call that something else too.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 4:46am
Mike:

That's sharp. I'm not sure on getting mrs naut through this mental gymnastics. she has been very supportive of the project so far and i think the moment we are out on the water the penny will drop.

She's already selected her wakeboard of choice and asked i buy it as her Christmas present. She's all game...
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

BigBlockFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2009 at 7:00pm
Hi everyone
I have been busy with some tower speaker and thought I'll share some pics. I started by drawing some oval formers to fit a 7 x 10 " speaker with Solid Edge and had them laser cut out of 2mm ally plate. I then rolled 2mm ally plate into an oval shape to fit right around the formers. I then tigged it all up carefully so as not to distort the shape with heat. The ally tube then went onto a jig so I could spin them around freely. I then added a layer of 200g glass cloth covered with peel ply. Next I did a layup of 600g carbon cloth over a mylar sheet which had been polished for release and clearcoated with 2k. The dry carbon sheet has a very shiny finish with the laid in clearcoat. I cut and wrapped the carbon sheet around the glassed tube(after pulling the peel ply off first) and glued it on with some epoxy and microballons mix. That was it for the tubes.
I then drew the faceplates and backplates and had them cut on my friends cnc. After cutiing I spent 2 hours wet sanding with 1500 & 2000 grit to get a good finish. After that I spent 30 min with a buff to get the mirror finish.

These covers go on the front and rear of the tubes.I also made a mold for a 10mm shock absorber on which the actual 7x10 will sit in the tube. A cnc bracket,also polished,will hold the speaker tube onto the tower. I am still busy with all the polishing but have got some pics. Will post more when I'm done.

I have tested the speakers with 80 watts rms from an ICE amp and it sounds very promising !

DJ

'84 B/N 454

Footers do "it" for at least a minute.
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 5:06am
Super stuff! That looks damn awesome! You should apply for a job at CC mate. Please remember to post the pics with these goodies mounted.

It's official that i have now finished all the glass work on the boat. I'll now sand and paint out the bilge......then in with the motor.

Hoping to get the heart of the beast in this month still. I'm off this weekend so i'm sure i'll "git 're done".

Don's Diary

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 6:45am
Nice work BBF thanks for sharing how you did it.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 12:45pm
Alright. So i'm close to migrating to the outside of the boat. I've given this a bit of thought but would need some advice here. What do you use to seal off:
- superstructure and hull connection (was silicon)
- submerged through hull fittings (exhaust ports, swim platform mounts etc)
- through deck fittings (bimini etc)

Silicon sealant just doesn't seem to be the best solution.

Don's Diary

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 1:40pm
Don,
I HATE silicone!!!!

3M 5200 is my very first choice. Deck fittings a little around the screw holes is all that's needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 4:42am
Pete:

Agreed. I got enough of silicon when i built my fish tank...done with it. Thanks for the tip. I also noticed a type of caulking on the exhaust hose connections all the way through to the exhaust outlets through the transom. Would this be a requirement? I assume it would need to be rather heat resistant. Any product recomendations?

Don's Diary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2009 at 11:49am
Hi guys

Just a quick pic of the progress so far on the tower speakers.

DJ

'84 B/N 454

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2009 at 12:25pm
Looks great boet! May i ask, just for interest, what the material cost is per unit? It would give an indication how the retail margins are set up which could be interesting.

Also, Duane, that's an interesting leaf blower/hair dryer in the background. Another hobby of yours? If so, where do you fly?

Don's Diary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 4:50am
Hi Don

Worked out quick, material only +- R4500. Have to add machining costs and labour to that. Could be quite a bit.
I fly all over S.A. Have been doing it for 6 years and still love it. Most fun is a foot off the beach ! Interested ?
Am going to fit these babies today. Can't wait to hear the sound.

DJ
'84 B/N 454

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 5:22am
Duane:

Sounds awesome. An old mate of mine is a national team hanglider. He jumped off the cliffs at around harties and flew to the park outside his house off Lynnwood road. The cops were waiting....he's just that kind of guy. Every other weekend we would go bridge swing or climbing. He now lives in my valley and flies the fire spotter/control plane in the cape and mpumalanga on alternate fire seasons. They often go flying off Mt Carmel just outside of Nespruit. It has crossed my mind to give it a go but i decided to first get my boating life up and running. I am a member of the flying club here and would consider an MPL in the future. I'm friends with the guys who import the Bantam B22 and would look into one of those.

Give us some feedback on the outcome of your fitting and sound eh.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 5:30am
Spent some time this weekend glassing the drivers seat base, grinding out the interior and painting. Here are some pics of the first coat:

I bought 5l of Plascon Glatex8 white which is an epoxy paint. Finding the right paint is a mission. The Glatex 8 is rather expensive but will give that final seal and sheen i'm after. Unfortunately it only comes in white or clear. I wouldv'e liked grey but i think it's going to look just great after a few coats.

The weekend was also filled with the best rugby match and the worst grand prix i have seen this season.

The weekend ahead is our year end and stock count so i'm off the project for a bit. I'll give a coat here and there and i'm sure i'll have the motor in within the next fortnight.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 5:12am
Hi There:

At last i have finished with the construction of the interior. It's been a long journey to this point but i can taste the fun to come....family filled boat on a hot summers day.

I gave the boat a wallop of the epoxy paint, 4 layers in total. I had 5l so i decided to finish the can. This boat is now sealed! I spent time this weekend fitting the cradle, pylon, bilge pump and steering assembly. I know this seems like a little to achieve in the time but i heard a man say..."measure twice, drill once."

The exciting news is that the motor goes in this week. The beast will have a heart!

Here are some pics....

Soon after the motor has been dropped and aligned i'll be connecting her up. I still have to mount the blower and rear ventilation hoses. I'll connect up all the pluming electrics and fuel lines.

The wet sanding then continues on the exterior.

Don's Diary

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 10:16am
I like what Alan said a while back..."I cut it 3 times and it's still too short".

Very nice and sooo close!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 11:47am
It just looks great Donovan!!
Can't wait to see the pics with the engine in!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 12:31pm
Thanks guys. That engine is gonna look good and sound great.

My mind is now starting to think about how to d*cky up the trailer. The boat is now complete in my mind when it comes to planning and design.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 5:24am
Ok guys, sorry about being terrible at posting regularly.......i just thought i'd send you the final product ex rub rail. Rub rail will go on tomorrow if the weather is crap......otherwise it's off to the lake!

Gently idling her off the trailer

Opening her up a bit...my son is very keen to come along

A family affair...

Sharing the joy of the journey to a completely restored boat...my son and i

Master and commander.......

Don's Diary

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 11:52am
Hey Don,

Congrats !!   Great pics of the boat and the family.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 12:33pm
Great job!!! well done..right on time for the summer!!!! Its pricelless when you go it all set....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 12:47pm
Great looking boat! Your boys will have a great time. Are they skiing or boarding yet?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 1:37pm
Another ski nautique givin a second chance.People don't realize how few nautiques there really are and how quick they will be gone.
Boat looks super nice by the way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 4:24pm
Hey Don

Gongrats ! Boat looks great ! Well done for sticking with it. Hope you and the family get 1000's of hrs of pleasure out of the boat.

If been out to the Vaal twice with the new speaker system and it's way to loud but the base is out of this world !

I ruptured my achiles tendon 3 weeks ago in a stupid way so that's it for me for the next 6-8 months.

Anyway, you got it done at the right time of the year. Please e-mail me some more pics when you go out again. duane@ezgo.co.za

Enjoy

DJ
'84 B/N 454

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 4:54pm
Awesome Donovan!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 5:05pm
Hey Don, great job on the boat and thanks for providing the opportunity for all of use to gain ideas into completing a project like yours! So who was first to ski behind the 1982?
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 11:27pm
hey guys back in SA, have one on the ex pats over here.
If you can't be rich, you gotta be clever!Wonder if I'm either right now.
My 88 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2013 at 8:07am
Hey Don
Still around ?
Duane
'84 B/N 454

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic