NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the long road ahead - 67 Nautique resto/mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 1:10pm
The Norwegian Crusher!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 1:29pm
As John Lennon said- "Whatever gets you through the night is all right...   all right".   

Trying to gauge the amount of epoxy needed. Your boat has a few feet on mine so hopefully I can get by with 5 gallons. Bubble gum and duct tape would be about as good as some of the glass work in my boat! I have yet to see an iceburg in our coal plant heated lake LOL.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 1:33pm
Keegan, you are not going to get away with 5 gallons, believe me.
My boat only has two feet on yours, and I am not even doing the floor or anything yet.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 3:05pm
I agree with Mike- 5 gallons wont cut it, even on a 16' boat. There is very little difference in size between the 1st Gen SN and the Skier/Tique. I wouldnt guess it will take more than 10, but probably closer to 10 than 5.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 12:28pm
Got my new batch of epoxy yesterday, and got the port main to where the starboard is. I will get the rest done next week. I have a 4' section on the rear of each stringer, the gas tank risers, exhaust plates, and rudder plate to do yet, all biaxial. THen, lastly, a strip to the top on both sides of each main. Then she gets parked for a while so I can get the Mustang back together. Spring is coming!

With that, I am off to the River Run.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 2:54am
The last couple nights I finished covering the mains with the first course of biax. I also layed biax on the exhaust plates, rudder mount, and up to the aft part of the log area where I had a crack I repaired. I got a bit ahead of myself last night and consequently left my shop a tad early and had a couple of bubbles appear that pissed me off when I saw them this evening. Tonight I spent grinding out the longitudinal notches and drains in the mains. This saved me time on the front side laying the glass, but it takes a bit of time to clean up, too. It is still better for the notches in that you would have to grind them a bit anyway, but they created a few bubbles, so I would cut a small hole next time, not just slice into the to relieve the air. I think the drains are definitely better as I could shine a flashlight though them and shape them pretty easily. I measured the thickness of the pieces I cut out. Where I double layered the biax in the engine and trans mount areas it is a tall 1/8". The sections on front and to the rear of the mounts it is 1/16". I am still debating the additional layer from the top of the stringers down. I still have the section at the rear to layup where I extended the height for the fuel tank mounts.
I am not sure if I would do the notches again or use wedge type supports. Both have their positives and negatives, but cutting out the glass tonight got me at least thinking about it. I would also radius my top edges better than I did as it would decrease some of the work keeping air bubbles out.
I hope to get done with what I want to accomplish in this phase by this weekend.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 9:06am
Mike,
I don't know if you were around when the glassing of drain hole trick came up but the subject of the difficulty has come up in other threads. If you don't preglass the holes before setting the stringers, set the wet glass in the hole, inflate a toy balloon inside the hole and wrap the glass up the stringer sides.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 1:02pm
Pete,

I do remember that now that you mention it. My drains were good, it is the notches that were a PITA.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 12:33pm
Today is my boat's 43rd birthday.   March 11, 1967.    

Just sayin....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:31pm
Happy Birthday to The Norwegian Crusher! Have contacted Correct Craft twice now for a born date/build sheet.   The first time they told me that the hull number I gave them was too long, so I sent them a picture and they said they could not find anything on that number. Any suggestions on obtaining that information?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:42pm
Patience is all I can suggest. Researching that information is not really a priority for them at the moment. It took me 6 months to get it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 8:02pm
Did you have to keep asking or did they just one day pop up and say "hey we found it"? I don't want to pester them, but will if thats what it takes.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 8:10pm
Pestering is not a very good strategy in my opinion.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:42pm
I agree and was kind of joking, but did you submit a request once and they responded 6 months later or did you touch base once a month or so and they finally came through?

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 9:07am
Keegan,
Did you ever post the number here on site? What is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 10:58am
I emailed and then followed up every couple months.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keegan,
Did you ever post the number here on site? What is it?

Here is my number. I have seen somewhere on here the formula for a rough date estimate based off the number.

Sorry about the thread hijack Mike.

1973 Skier
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 3:18pm
CTC - Correct Craft
03535 - Serial number
0573 - Date of Certification May 73

SKMs -? I believe represents Skier Model.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 3:45pm
Keegan.
CC said the number was too long?? Well, they are running very lean these days so you must have gotten to someone that didn't know the system!!

Next time you email them, attach the picture!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 4:46pm
Pete-

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

The first time they told me that the hull number I gave them was too long, so I sent them a picture and they said they could not find anything on that number.

Thanks BKH- I knew I had seen the formula on CCF before

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic