NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 2001 LVL Stringer Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 13>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Big Pappa Big Pappa wrote:

I had decided on gel coating it but when I called us Composites and told them what I was doing they told me that they do not recommend gel coat over epoxy resin so back to the drawing board.

Yes they do and I dont understand why. I used their epoxy resin, followed by their vinylester and then poly gelcoat with good success. The only hiccup was getting the vinyl to cure all the way- but I think I got that issue figured. In addition to spreading it very thin (which makes it harder for it to kick), I applied it when it was humid outside. Also, they told me that vinyl would still benefit from a wax agent in the final coat to get it to cure.

I learned a few lessons, but Ill definitely gel again. Bilgekote is good stuff, but its not as durable as gel... and it cant be laid directly over epoxy either!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 5:46pm
Kris,
Stay away from the Bilgcoat too. Tim found out the hard way that it too does not like to go down over epoxy. It didn't cure!!!

I'd say just tint some epoxy resin and go with that.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kris,
Stay away from the Bilgcoat too. Tim found out the hard way that it too does not like to go down over epoxy. It didn't cure!!!

Exactly. Talk about a disaster... it all had to be stripped/sanded off.

I'd say just tint some epoxy resin and go with that.

Thats the route I ended up taking, but I dont think Ill do that again either. Since epoxy is translucent, it took a good 3 coats for it to cover half way decent... and then it ended up running on the last coat for no good reason, screwing up all the fairing I did in the bilge!

I brushed gel onto a few different pieces (after applying a vinyl conversion coat) and was pretty happy with how it came out. I plan to do it again on future projects.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2012 at 1:54pm
Kris I just read through your project great job, you haven't posted in a while just curious if you finished? I'm still on the fence about what material to go with ?
Kirk   
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2012 at 3:09pm
No not yet. I am itching to get back to work on it though. I have a baby on the way and several other small projects that have come up that I needed to take care of. Do you have any questions about it?
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:29pm
Hey guys well I am still chugging along with my project little by little. I will have to come back and post some pictures up later seeing as I do not have any with me right now.
I am still working on smoothing things down getting ready to paint. I did order me some faring compound and am using it now rather than just the glass bubbles. It is taking so long because I have not had a whole lot of time to get in there and get dirty working. So I will jump in there and spend a few hours putting down some epoxy and filler, then it will be maybe a day or maybe 2 weeks before I can get in again to sand it down. I am making progress though slowly but surly. One more coat and the bilge should be done and all I will have left is between the main and secondary stringers. Oh and putting in the rear main string support, I have left it out to make sanding in the back a little easier. Once close I will install that then sand, fill and clean up around it.

I built a frame with wheels to go under my engine so I could pull it out and move it around to start getting it cleaned up a little. In the process I realized how rough it looked so I started pulling parts off sand blasting and painting them. I am going to go ahead and paint the whole engine so it will not look like a turd sitting next to the newly painted bilge and new carpet.

I ordered my carpet and have it sitting at the house waiting. I also have my bilge paint sitting waiting to go in. I decided to go with Interlux epoxy primer then Interlux Perfection on the bilge. Hopefully it will turn out nice.

I need to start sourcing some glue, I am going to try and find some Henry's. How glue much should I need to do all the floor, walls, seat bases and crash pads?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 9:16pm
Kris,
Just keep "plugging" away at it. Do you think you'll have it in the water this summer?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 10:21pm

Kris,
Just keep "plugging" away at it. Do you think you'll have it in the water this summer?

I am going to do my very best to finish by the end of June. We would like to try and take it out some the week of July 4th.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 7:57pm
A few updated pics.

Here is one of the reasons thing have been a little slow with my progress lately.

Here is the bilge as it stands today. I am shooting to start painting it next weekend or the weekend after that. Hopefully I can get a lot done this weekend.

These are some of the parts that I have sand blasted and painted so far.

This is close to what those parts used to look like.

This is the frame and wheels that I have my engine on now. Makes moving the engine around the garage much easier.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:51pm
Kris,
Now I understand completely why the project has been running on the slow side - Lots of time in the bedroom! Congratulations

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:22am

Kris,
Now I understand completely why the project has been running on the slow side - Lots of time in the bedroom! Congratulations

LOL, You know what they say Practice makes perfect. Now it just means no sleep.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 11:27am
old bronco behind your engine yours?
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

old bronco behind your engine yours?

Good eye! Yes that is my 73 that is awaiting a little TLC after the boat is finished.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 3:41pm
I was able to sneak down a get a little work done on the boat this weekend. I did what is hopefully the final full faring over the entire bilge area. I hope that I can sand this down, then do a few touch ups, sand that down then start painting. I would love to be painting next weekend but we will see how things go.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 3:52pm
I apologize if this was mentioned on a previous page, but what are you planning to paint your bilge with? Mine looked very similar to yours (lots of fairing) prior to painting with Bilgekote. After several days of it not setting up, I learned that it cant be applied directly to epoxy. They dont consider epoxy to be a "fiberglass resin" in their instructions- but they have a footnote that says you need a primer for it.

Several days of paint stripper and sanding later (what a MESS), we had an unfinished (and un-smoothed) bilge again. What a waste. We ended up going with tinted epoxy resin instead.

Long story short, I wouldnt recommend bilgekote. If you do use it, make sure you use their primer. Instead, I would recommend either tinted epoxy resin, or even better, gelcoat. Those finishes should prove to be more durable, and are more appropriate for a really nice bilge, IMHO.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I apologize if this was mentioned on a previous page, but what are you planning to paint your bilge with? Mine looked very similar to yours (lots of fairing) prior to painting with Bilgekote. After several days of it not setting up, I learned that it cant be applied directly to epoxy. They dont consider epoxy to be a "fiberglass resin" in their instructions- but they have a footnote that says you need a primer for it.

Several days of paint stripper and sanding later (what a MESS), we had an unfinished (and un-smoothed) bilge again. What a waste. We ended up going with tinted epoxy resin instead.

Long story short, I wouldnt recommend bilgekote. If you do use it, make sure you use their primer. Instead, I would recommend either tinted epoxy resin, or even better, gelcoat. Those finishes should prove to be more durable, and are more appropriate for a really nice bilge, IMHO.

I thought about using gelcoat but found out it is recommended to use a primer on that as well. In the end after weighing my options I decided to go with a primer and paint. So I am going to be using Interlux Primekote then topping that with Interlux Perfection. I am crossing my fingers that things will work well with this combo. This project is taking so long already, I do not want it to take any more than needed.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 9:14pm
Looking good Kris and the boat looks good too. Congrats Dad!   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Looking good Kris and the boat looks good too. Congrats Dad!   

Thanks!!

I just sent your stringer inspection video to a buddy today who is looking to buy a project boat.    
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 4:20pm
I was able to get out and sand in the boat a few hours on Saturday and then again yesterday. I have a little bit of a stupid head cold though so that slowed me down a little. I was still able to get about 3/4 of the bilge sanded down. I must say I love working with the Fairing compound vs just the glass baloons like I have been. You can see the low spots much easier and it sands much easier as well. I wish I would have started out using this stuff. I would probably be finished painting by now if I would have.   

Oh well live and learn and keep moving along. I also put my engine cradle in and test fit it. It slid in nicely but is sitting a little farther to the starboard side than I would like so I will be doing a little sanding to get that worked out. I am moving along little by little. I am not ashamed to tell you that I will be so freakin glad with this bilge is done and I can do something besides sand on the fiberglass!!!

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 5:34pm
good work!!!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 10:47pm
I see you have the pylon in the background of the picture. I was going to mention including that when you do your test fits.

As for the bilge paint I used Rustoleum epoxy garage floor paint and it worked out great.

Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I see you have the pylon in the background of the picture. I was going to mention including that when you do your test fits.

Yep, I use the pylon each time I put the cradle in the boat to make sure it all fits right.

Good looking project you have there. I will be so glad when mine is sanded smooth and painted!!
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2012 at 4:09pm
The floor covering looks great in there. Is this what you used?

Wondering if these are recent pics or if they were made during your rebuild. How is the floor coating holding up so far?
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2012 at 2:12pm
So last week I was able to get the last piece of wood installed, the rear Main Stringer Brace. I glassed it down with one layer so far but I am going to add one or 2 more to make sure things a nice and strong. yesterday I put on what I am hoping will be my last fairing coat. My goal is to get this sanded down this week and be painting this weekend.

Last week was able to get in and cut out my access hole to the front Bilge area. I then put a layer of cloth and a layer of mat over the edges to water proof them. I put a tape on the piece of floor that I pulled out and that area is exactly 1" thick. So I am pleased with the results.

I climbed under the bow with my dremmel last week and cleaned up the fiber glass around the air and wire ducts. That way I can put some fairing around them and make sure I have a good seal between the glass and the pipes.

My box of new stuff for the boat is filling up, so I have got to keep up the pace so I can put these new goodies on the boat.

I also have my carpet sitting waiting patiently by my box of parts. My Goal is to be putting carpet in on Memorial day weekend. Then have the whole boat completed by the end of June.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 4:49pm
Looking very Nice !! Congrats on your Baby My wife and I have our third one due around June 7th
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Looking very Nice !! Congrats on your Baby My wife and I have our third one due around June 7th

Awesome, congrats!! It is getting close! Get some sleep now, I forgot how often they get up when they are little bitty.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 8:38pm
I know we have two daughters 5 and 1 1/2 This one is a boy !! I am done !!
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

I know we have two daughters 5 and 1 1/2 This one is a boy !! I am done !!

Me Too, I have a 7 year old Girl and this one is a boy. We are done.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 4:51pm
I was waiting on some fairing compound to dry the other day and was looking for something on the boat to do quick. As I was looking around I saw my Morse (SP?) Control and it needed a little paint. So I pulled it apart and decided to shoot a pic at each stage so you can see how these parts transform. I am doing the same thing with my engine parts so I figured I would take a few pics of the process.

Here is the part as it was when I pulled it off the boat.

Here it is after being sand blasted

After 2 coats of Primer

And the final Product

There is a little orange peel in the finish but that is expected using rattle cans. I can still see my reflection in the finish. I am very pleased with the the way this, as well as the other parts that I have painted so far, have come out. This is something that I have wanted to do since we purchased the boat.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2012 at 8:22pm
Good work there. I just found this thread and it has been a fun read. Thanks.
I just skimmed it and so follows the question:
Have you been working on this for four year?
And you want it running by this June?
Wow. I'm impressed.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic