NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 31>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Just trying to get a feel for what to expect if I decide to replace the foam in my boat. Dave

Dave,
Wednesday, how many pounds did you say your were over the published in the brochure? Something like 700-800lbs? !!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 1:21pm
Pete....The boat/trailer combo weighed 3600 Lbs. The trailer probably weighs around 700 Lbs. So, the boat weighs roughly 2900 Lbs. The specs in the reference section say the Southwind 18 weighs 2250. Hence, if all the numbers are right, that means I have ~650 Lbs. of water in the foam. Does that sound realistic??

When the boat is just sitting in the water, it seems to have a "bow down" stance. That has me wondering if most of that 650 Lbs. is concentrated in the forward section of the boat.

I am also thinking that this may be one of the reasons I can't get the boat over 38-39 MPH. I know the other thing we discussed was the prop, and I know that is also playing a big role.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 2:47pm
Dave,
The larger CC V hulls to me always seemed to sit bow down in the water too. Water would run forward and sit there aggravating the bow down. Only one way to tell for sure!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 4:58pm
Dave, we had a lot of water soaked foam in the boat. Most of it was in the nose (the lowest point in the v-hull). We estimate we took about 400 lbs out of the boat- so 650 is certainly in the ballpark. The foam in the back was fairly dry- but all the wood was still rotten. I think my first post in this thread shows how nose-low the boat sat in the water... the platform was out by several inches.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 6:17pm

Hence, if all the numbers are right, that means I have ~650 Lbs. of water in the foam. Does that sound realistic??

Oh yeah. Easy to believe.
I know I took 400lbs out of both of our boats. The bow of both were fairly dry. The Mustang was actually a bit worse up there than the SN.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 10:46am

if all the numbers are right, that means I have ~650 Lbs. of water in the foam. Does that sound realistic??

When the boat is just sitting in the water, it seems to have a "bow down" stance. That has me wondering if most of that 650 Lbs. is concentrated in the forward section of the boat.

I am also thinking that this may be one of the reasons I can't get the boat over 38-39 MPH. I know the other thing we discussed was the prop, and I know that is also playing a big role.

This is like having a couple of CQ's girl friends (not the ones he wishes he could date) in the front end of the boat. I don't feel a prop change will make a big difference!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

This is like having a couple of CQ's girl friends (not the ones he wishes he could date) in the front end of the boat. I don't feel a prop change will make a big difference!!

Pete, Im not so sure- these boats have a pretty serious power to weight ratio... even an extra 1000 lbs wont kill performance entirely. Our BFN was 400+ lbs overweight (mostly in the front), but still ran 56+ when lightly loaded. According to the desktop dyno, it wasnt pushing as much hp as we thought- about 370hp. With 6 people in the boat, it would still run 55. I dont notice a significant degradation in performance from loading up my other boats either.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 11:32pm
[/QUOTE] This is like having a couple of CQ's girl friends (not the ones he wishes he could date) in the front end of the boat. I don't feel a prop change will make a big difference!![/QUOTE]

Pete....I took my "fast" prop up to a prop shop in McHenry the other day. It is pretty dinged up, but, still pushed the boat to 38 mph. My "slow" prop (also 13 x13)which has no dings whatsoever will only push the boat to 35 mph. The owner of the shop thinks that when these props got re-worked, they have had the diameter reduced, and that is dramatically negatively effecting performance. He has an OJ 13 x 13 rebuilt prop he will let me try to see what it will do on the boat, and Hollywood has some props he will let me try too.   

I think a prop will have positive effect, but, that extra 650 Lbs. of water isn't helping things. I am trying to decide if I want to take on the project of cutting the floor open digging out the foam. However, I have no intention of redoing the stringers right now.    

Tim....Is it possible to just remove the foam from the front section of these boat to lighten the load without doing a full blown stringer job??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 11:41pm
Dave, sure- anything is possible. Would it be worthwhile? Not to me, thats for sure! The first problem is that there wouldnt be anything to support the floor when you put it back together... I promise that everything under there is rotten.

I think a prop change will really wake that boat up. 650 lbs is a lot of dead weight, but I think the crappy props have more to do with the suffering performance.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 12:33am
Dave I did mine that way but remember my boat was a youngster (20) when I did it. And yes someday (soon) it will need stringers.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 3:08am
Tim....Yes, I realize there will be a bunch of rotten wood in there. I have already replaced a bunch of it back around the rear floor support frames, and along the sides of the bilge area.

If the secondary stringer system is rotten, which I am sure it is, it is probably providing no structural integrity. If I dug it all out, my thoughts are that the only key difference in before and after is that the boat will just weigh less. No real difference in structural integrity...and no foam to support the floor (although I may pour new foam in to replace the old). Do you agree with that?

Gary....My old girl is pretty near 35 years old now and has put on a few pounds. She is in dire need of a weight reduction program. Did you actually remove your old foam? If so, did you re-foam it or leave it out completely?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 11:38am
Dave,
I'm really with Tim on this one - do the complete stringer job at once. If you really want to dig into just the front end now, you could just lay some heavier ply down and not foam. The foam being so expensive, I'd hate to see you just dig it back out new winter. I'm a no foam guy so I'd go with the heavier ply anyway. If you cut and prep the temporary ply properly, you can reuse it for the full stringer job - foam or no foam.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 12:38pm
I think that removing the foam and using as-is would be a recipe for disaster. Soaked as it may be, that foam is lending a lot of rigidity to the structure of the boat- it keeps the hull from flexing and the hull/floor connection solid. Remember, the original strucure underneath is pretty weak- the main stringers are only 3" tall and end just in front of the motor. The secondary stringers are only 1/4" thick and lend virtually no structural support (they really just hold the floor back). The ribs in back and the bulkheads up front are spaced about every 3 feet. Only the main stringers were encapsulated in glass... everything else was pretty well exposed. With just the rotten wood being expected to hold it together, I think the boat could potentially crumble on the first wave you hit!

Theres a reason why we're putting 3x the number of supports back into the boat with our no-foam rebuild. Either do it right (full stringer job), or dont bother.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Either do it right (full stringer job), or dont bother.

I can agree with Tim. I replaced the floor, bulkhead, and foam in our 88 just north of the cradle last summer similar to what he did on his 90. If I were to do it again, I would have just done the whole thing.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If you cut and prep the temporary ply properly, you can reuse it for the full stringer job

I plan on doing this in my Skier...then I can take them out in the winter and store them inside! Won't Alicia LOVE that?!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 8:25pm
Dave
with all the while Im at it once you open up the floor you´ll end up with a full stringer job!! For Sure.
If you only do the front section though you might want to do something about the ventilation system, as is one of points where water makes it to the foam
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 10:16pm
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the advice. Thats why I am asking. I really didn't want to dig into the floor now anyway. I would prefer to keep using it as is. Maybe it will be next winters project, and I will do it all at once, and do it the right way.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 11:56pm

Gary....My old girl is pretty near 35 years old now and has put on a few pounds. She is in dire need of a weight reduction program. Did you actually remove your old foam? If so, did you re-foam it or leave it out completely?

Yes I removed it all Dave. Mine had a fiberglass pan for the floor which I took out because it was real beat up. Then the foam was sealed with a layer of 'glass. I cut out the glass and dug out the foam then used plywood for the new floor. I didn't replace the foam since I figured the river isn't that deep! But then you get out on Green Lake and think twice.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 2:23pm
We made a little progress this weekend. First, we blocked the boat and re-leveled it. All straight now- and solid! Then we marked out the new stringer/bulkhead system onto the hull. Then we started cutting Coosa.

We rough cut the mains, then laminated them together.

Then, we put the 21 degree angle on the bottoms, and trimmed the tops flush.

Then we bedded them with thickened resin (milled fiber filler). Still have some more fillets to make.

We also made a template for the keel board and got that rough cut and laminated. The $30 power planer from Harbor Freight was spectacular... only good for templates on this project, but will come in VERY handy on the Skier.

All braced up. We used a combination of cement blocks at the edge of the hull (front and rear) topped with wood. We also blocked the keel in 2 places. Then we added some shims between the trailer and hull, just to add a little more support. Its pretty solid.

Is it wrong to paint a 454 "Ford Blue"?

And because Eric was good enough to send me the new cradles, heres an obligatory tranny shot. Yes, the tag is masked off. Thanks again Eric.

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 2:46pm
Nice to see her starting to come back together!!!   Love the liquid weights on the stringers!! I assume you had backups to keep even pressure?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 2:48pm
Tim, I'm guessing the PBR is your dads and your drinking the Miller Lite?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 9:36pm
Tim and Greg- Looking good! That blue engine will look pretty sweet in that ride.
You guys are on a roll now.

-Brad
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 10:41pm
Really looking good Tim. I bet having your father there is really a great help.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 11:04pm
You guys are totally Rad!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 9:59am
we do have to update your neutral safety switch, blue is fine with me btw, no matter how you wrap it, its still a big boy. lookin good, fire that thing on the ground....I always do with open headers to my prick neihgbor
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 10:39am
Looking great Tim but 2 comments. 1. Man does that boat sit high on that trailer or what and 2. The oil pan goes on the bottom.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 12:32pm
Eric, whats the deal with the NSS? The one thats in there worked fine last year.

The beer was mine. I prefer the bottled stuff that Dad buys though- its free and cold.

Roger, everything has worked out great- bouncing ideas back and forth and having 2 sets of hands has really kept us moving.

Alan, yes- the trailer is tall, especially without any weight on it! It should settle a good 4" or so with the weight of the boat. Im not really following about the oil pan... Dad's been in charge of the engine disassembly, so Ill forward your comments to him.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 12:35pm
Totally. Awesome.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 4:32pm
Ha, thanks Joel.

Fillets are on the mains (still drying), nothing picture worthy yet.

A few goodies showed up this week... teaser pic:

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 10:28pm
Nice manifolds! New or ebay or ?

I'm itchin' to do some manifolds on the Python. Unfortunately, the 8.1/496 has different exhaust ports than the 454/502 and the selection is limited. Especially used. And expensive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 31>
  Share Topic