NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 16>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:24pm
OK, got the manifolds from Jeff, thanks Jeff! Just tested them and no leaks on the inside. However, there are some pin-hole leaks on one, the side I need of course, to the outside.

I only saw two small holes leaking, the pic looks deceiving. I'm sure this can be welded. Is it a sign of more corrosion from the inside?

I hate to ask but can I shove some JB Weld in the holes? At least to get through the season?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:29pm
It almost looks as if they were welded once before.

I would take them to a welder and have them properly welded. jb weld or some similar product would probably work, but I wouldn't try it that way.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:29pm
David,
It looks like it's been welded before and whoever did the welding had some problems. Aluminum can be tricky if there's corrosion present. It really needs to be ground down to good metal. Some of the alloys don't like welding ether. I'd take it to someone that feels confident with welding aluminum.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:40pm
Let's say I JB Weld, just for this season since it's going fast, and send it to be repaired or find really good ones for next year. What's the worst that can happen? The JB fails and the pin holes spew small streams of water? Or could it become something catastrophic like the whole section breaks off?

Not trying to half-ass it, just want to actually get on the water this summer. At the least I could tell if my engine needs more work.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:50pm
I would say that that is the worst that can happen with this possible jb weld fix. Although, what happens if any jb is there when you go to have them welded? Will that interfere with the welding work to be done?

See how the area with the pin holes is smooth? The manifold looks to be sand cast, and that is why it has a semi rough texture to it where it isn't leaking. Also, notice the grind wheel marks? Definitely been welded, and as Pete says, aluminum is a little tricky to weld. I won't touch welding aluminum, I take it to my welder guy.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 3:10pm
David,
I don't have a problem with you trying the JB. Just make sure the areas where you put it are identified somehow. They will need to be ground out anyway for proper welding.

What you're looking at is bad weld porosity caused by poor prep as mentioned. Patience and plenty of filler metal must be used when welding bad aluminum. A good welder will be able to "wash out" the weld puddle with the filler rod. I've run into it a couple times and it's tough.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 6:10pm
I've used   HTS-2000 brazing rods several times and have had good luck with them, you must have a set of torches though, propane won't cut it.

You can find small quantities of it on flea bay.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 12:24am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
I don't have a problem with you trying the JB. Just make sure the areas where you put it are identified somehow. They will need to be ground out anyway for proper welding.

What you're looking at is bad weld porosity caused by poor prep as mentioned. Patience and plenty of filler metal must be used when welding bad aluminum. A good welder will be able to "wash out" the weld puddle with the filler rod. I've run into it a couple times and it's tough.

i think that is what im going to do for now, at least i can see if shes going to run and maybe get on the water this year

My brother mentioned braising it as well
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 11:29am
Finally pulled the intake manifold off yesterday. Here is what I found. Of course the gasket ripped up when removing so I can't really tell if there where any installation problems. I'm sure your eyes are better than mine.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 11:31am
Also, about to cut my gasket for the exhaust manifold to elbow. The manifold water passages are all uniform with the elbow's being smaller and having the 3 holes at the bottom. Do I cut the gasket to fit the manifold passages or the elbow passages? Or does it matter?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 11:53am
David,
Ether way on the gasket.

I'm sure more trained eyes will be along but to me it looks like something didn't line up with the intake install. One end looks like it bottomed out on the top of the block while the other end didn't. This may have prevented proper compression of the manifold gasket to the heads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 11:59am
way to happy with the RTV, throw that blue tube in the trash and get the black version of permatex. Don't use such a heavy bead around stuff, you diffenately didn't get the rear water ports sealed at all, notice all the gunk in the vally that's water mixing with the oil not good.

And don't buy those cheap Edlebrock gaskets either use fel-pro gaskets only.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
Ether way on the gasket.

I'm sure more trained eyes will be along but to me it looks like something didn't line up with the intake install. One end looks like it bottomed out on the top of the block while the other end didn't. This may have prevented proper compression of the manifold gasket to the heads.

From what I remember, there was a good 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap between the manifold and block on the ends. The instructions called for a 1/4 inch bead of RTV on the ends with no gasket.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

way to happy with the RTV, throw that blue tube in the trash and get the black version of permatex. Don't use such a heavy bead around stuff, you diffenately didn't get the rear water ports sealed at all, notice all the gunk in the vally that's water mixing with the oil not good.

And don't buy those cheap Edlebrock gaskets either use fel-pro gaskets only.

I already have the fel-pro gasket in my Summit shopping cart. As I posted above I used 1/4 inch bead of RTV on the block ends to fill the gap. Is there a difference in the blue and black permatex RTV? I used the blue since the engine is blue. Figured it was just a color choice.

Where you say gunk in the valley, your talking about the front of the engine? Looks to me like it poured out of the front water passages. Not really knowing what goes on under there, I didn't know if oil is pumped up in that area or not. It's also on the underside of the manifold right there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 1:05pm
If you have a 1/4 gap at the front or back something is wrong and you can't correct it with a 1/4 bead of rtv, you'll always have water issues in the oil.

dri fit the intake before you add the gaskets or RTV and find out whats going on. I think the heads are on the wrong sides maybe. if you look at the notch in the intake gasket should line up with the blocks wall that goes side to side, currently it's forward and it shouldn't be, this leads me to believe there are issues with the heads.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 1:14pm

I think the heads are on the wrong sides maybe.

Since when are Ford Windsor heads directional?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 1:25pm
They are not, the tab being referred to interlocks with a tab on the head gaskets not with the heads or the block. I dont really see any leakage from around the water passages in the pictures that would cause the milky oil but tough to tell without being there.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I think the heads are on the wrong sides maybe.

Since when are Ford Windsor heads directional?

couldn't remember if they are or not, it just doesn't look right the way the gasket is fitting relative to the block's webbing.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 2:00pm
The tabs on the intake gasket seem to fit right up with the tabs on the head gasket.

When dry fitted, the manifold seemed to fit right on the heads with no problems.

The old manifold had the cork gasket material at the block ends with RTV top and bottom. Wonder if I should use those that come with the fel-pro kit to help fill that gap? The Edlebrock manifold instructions say no.

I can't see any definite water leakage signs either but again what do I know.

All the bolts were tight, although I will say they all seemed a bit short to me, like they were just grabbing the threads. Don't know if that would matter since they where torqued and still tight.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

The tabs on the intake gasket seem to fit right up with the tabs on the head gasket.

When dry fitted, the manifold seemed to fit right on the heads with no problems.

The old manifold had the cork gasket material at the block ends with RTV top and bottom. Wonder if I should use those that come with the fel-pro kit to help fill that gap? The Edlebrock manifold instructions say no.

I can't see any definite water leakage signs either but again what do I know.

All the bolts were tight, although I will say they all seemed a bit short to me, like they were just grabbing the threads. Don't know if that would matter since they where torqued and still tight.

don't use the cork gaskets, RTV only, secondly all that sludge looking crap in the valley is from water, most likely leaking from the intake manifold. Thirdly, if the intake is not mounted correctly then your going to have a problem. The intake sits in a V and if it isn't center proberly then you'll have gaps and bolts that seem like they are short.

Find a Professional to install the intake you didn't get the job done correctly IMHO.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 1:19pm
The intake manifold bolts do not have much thread engagement, not even full bolt width on most cases.. but it is plenty .. dont use longer bolts they will bottom out or otherwise cause trouble.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 5:55pm
Should I keep the exhaust gas crossover ports on the intake open or use the supplied gaskets to close them off?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 11:12pm
block them both off
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 11:30pm
Chris, what are those and why do you want them block off??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 11:11am
it used more on an automotive applications and lets hot exhaust gases pass through and heat the base of the choke stat for a manual style choke stat that gets heated from this passage. With an electric choke stat it is not needed thus you need to close it off to prevent the heat build-up in the intake under the carb.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 2:31pm
Tonight is the night. I have the intake installed, correctly, and the new exhaust manifold bolted on.

I dropped some oil in each cylinder and turned her by hand several times. Carb and ignition all hooked back up, fresh cheap oil for flushing is in along with a new filter. I have enough oil and filters for two flushes right now.

After work I'll start her up and cross my fingers. Any suggestions before I do so? I think I covered everything.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 3:48am
Well I'm not sure where I stand. Cranked her up and she ran great, nice and smooth. Ran for a good 30 minutes, in the driveway, stopping every now and then to check the oil. Dip stick was always nice and clean.

When I drained the oil, there was definitely water in it. It almost seemed like water draining rather than oil, not near as milkshakey, more like skim milk. I'm using 10w-30 for the flushing so it's pretty thin to begin with.

Don't know if the water is the left over mess and I need to keep flushing or if there is another problem that persist.

Checked the compression before I started her up. All plugs out.
1. 180   5. 185
2. 155   6. 170
3. 190   7. 190
4. 180   8. 130

I put some oil in number 8 and retested bumping it up to 135. Figured it was the rings.

Do I flush again and see if it improves?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 9:20am
David,
Do another flush.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 11:08am
Hay Vondy! retorque the manifold also just as a precaution. good luck!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 11:36am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Hay Vondy! retorque the manifold also just as a precaution. good luck!

Thanks Jeff. I re-torqued an hour after installing to check it. Will do it tonight before flushing her again.

You ever get my email?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 16>
  Share Topic