NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski 200 OB problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 11:43am
All inboard ski boats seems to have a tendency to tuck their nose into the bow wave at certain speeds. I always thought that looked cool, but I guess you do have to be careful. Anyway, CCs are not as bad as Malibu at least

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:01pm
That Bu looks a tad overloaded. I'm still not real sympathetic to the OP. I think its pretty safe to say that the 200 is not a defective or flawed design. And despite all of his seat time, what he complained about can be avoided with smart driving. I owned a CB supra and you all know how they swooped down in the front. If I wasn't paying attention, or if I wanted to wake up the folks in the observer seat, It was a piece of cake getting water over the windshield. Conversely, If I paid attention and was careful, it didn't happen. Some friends of my sister had an OB Supra, I can imagine how easy it was to fill the boat with water on that one. To complain about the boat's design is like buying a corvette and then complaining that it bottoms out entering your steep driveway or on huge speed bumps. Don't like it? Buy a freakin Hummer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:10pm
Well said.

What a TSC looks like at idle with 2 in front. Situation: normal.

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:10pm
I need that boat to go with our sporty. sexxxxxy.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:39pm
I guess that is what happens when you design a 3 event boat to be all things to all people by cutting out the deck and installing seats. A big yellow warning sticker is in order.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:45pm
I know MC already has a bow capacity limit after their little deal. I'm not sure what others have. There are too many yellow warning stickers in the world as it is :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I guess that is what happens when you design a 3 event boat to be all things to all people by cutting out the deck and installing seats. A big yellow warning sticker is in order.

Last time I checked there was indeed a big yellow warning sticker in the 200ob front seating area
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 2:40pm
i know this is taboo to post, but my buddy has a 91 prostar and 03 35th anniversary. We took a lot of water over the bow of the 35th when he first got it and looking at the pictures of the two side by side you can see why. Now that we have driven it more and paying attention to rollers, the bow stays dry, Thankfully our sport's bow is even higher than his 91.

Come to think about it, the first time I captained a bu Wakesetter a few years ago, I drenched the folks in the bow. The owner was pissed...until he did it 30 min. later.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 2:42pm
Can't compare an o/b. Far different weight distribution.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 7:23pm
We were on a friends MC X-Star a few years ago on Lake Dale Hollow in TN. A couple of larger gents were sitting in the bow, and a couple of us in the back. Hit a roller at slow speed, and took a major amount of water in the bow seating area drenching the occupants. It happens even on the bigger boats as well if you aren't careful.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 10:19pm
You haven't driven a skiboat...cb or ob until youve dipped the bow...done it with every ski boat...mc...cc...sanger...theyll all do it.
This is the life
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 10:40pm
Personally, I think it is safer to be able to see over the bow, Driving a high bow boat can be scarey when trying to pick up skiers. When driving in a course I find it easier to drive being able to see the guide balls!

If you aren't going to use the boat as a tow boat. Get something different. Ferraris aren't designed for off road use.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

We were on a friends MC X-Star a few years ago on Lake Dale Hollow in TN. A couple of larger gents were sitting in the bow, and a couple of us in the back. Hit a roller at slow speed, and took a major amount of water in the bow seating area drenching the occupants. It happens even on the bigger boats as well if you aren't careful.

Bingo.

I can throw two adults in the bow of my SAN and idle down the lake. Even if the water is smooth it still isn't far from the rub rail. If there is other boat traffic I am constantly on the throttle to keep them dry. For the most part I try to keep people out of the bow while underway. It is what it is.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
71CCMartinique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71CCMartinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 11:34pm
I can make my Martinique come over the bow or drench the back seat passengers. It's a matter of throttle control and the knowledge of one's boat to control it. No design flaw from CC. This site is Very, Very helpful. Just call it tough love.
....and the adventure continues.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 9:43am
After last call. The Switz, Keuka Lake NY last week.........

Quite a crowd up front, good thing they weren't in a SNOB, eh? . Apparently too dark for them to see the warning sticker.....

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 4:51pm
Yikes!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 5:34pm
By the time they all got settled we counted 14, with 7 in the bow. I mentioned this in another vacation thread...... he then went on to another boat and yelled "No Weed on My Dock!" ...tough night to be a bouncer. ..

On the plus side, while we were waiting for the millenial stupidity on the dock to subside, I found myself the very last person to walk out of the bar, not bad for a guy with 2 grandkids...some things never change..
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 11:52am
Up in Lake Geneva this weekend, I came across a couple of these new-fangled, modified tri-hull, or cathedral hull, ski boats that may not have the issue of water coming over the bow, One was a bit bigger than the other, but, they looked similar. Nice looking boats. I bet they cost $50K+. But, they got the $$$$ up in LG.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 12:12pm
Better add a 1 in front of that $50k price tag, Dave.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 1:41pm
Super Air Nautique G25 starting MSRP: $141,884
Super Air Nautique G23 starting MSRP: $130,249
Super Air Nautique G21 starting MSRP: $114,648

Ski Nautique 200 CB starting MSRP: $72,388
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 1:42pm
With the G series boats shown, at least you've bought yourself a little more freeboard.

Money flowing out of the account is more of an issue than water flowing into the bow.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 1:54pm
Oh boy! $100K+ for a ski boat!!! That is going to be a problem for me. I found this older MasterCraft Southwind at the resort we stayed at. I bet I could get it for less than $50K. Heck, with my negotiating skills, I bet I could get it for less than $25K. A screaming deal, and I also bet it won't take water over the bow easily.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 2:10pm
I talked with the gentleman that owns this Southwind. He is now the marina mgr at Lake Lawn Resort. He told me that he or his family used to own Delavan Lake Boat Co. that was a big CC dealer back in the day, I know there are a number of older CC's on the lake. He told me that their dealership was once one of the biggest CC dealers in the country. They quit carrying CC's in the early 90's.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

As Tim said, momentum has far more to do with the bow height.

I prefer to take big waves parallel to the boat. No throttle needed.

I'm late to this thread, but read it with interest. I agree. I've taken some heavy splash over the bow of the Sport but never buried it (yet). When set up for wakeboarding with 800 lbs. ballast, driver and 2 guys up front but not in the bow, I could easily bury it just idling back through my own wakes. I take them at a sharp angle, the boat rocks pretty good but no worries about water over the bow.

From the pictures of the 200 OB, I kind of think the original poster's comments were valid. We can say it's a tournament boat all we want, but it's certainly advertised for family fun and there needs to be safety designed in to some degree. From what he described, and then Houston described, it sounds much easier to bury the bow of a 200 OB than even a SNOB, and harder to avoid or get out of the situation.

It wouldn't keep me from buying one, and I almost never have anyone in the bow when skiing.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 11:39pm
[TUBE]68AOltMu768[\TUBE]
Dangit doesn't do the youtube thing from the smart phone

Just like folks say, the driver is part of the equation
1994 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 10:55am
sure does, you did a forward slash instead of a backslash

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Oh boy! $100K+ for a ski boat!!! That is going to be a problem for me. I found this older MasterCraft Southwind at the resort we stayed at. I bet I could get it for less than $50K. Heck, with my negotiating skills, I bet I could get it for less than $25K. A screaming deal, and I also bet it won't take water over the bow easily.

David: is the MasterCraft Southwind you refer to some one-time joint venture? Haha

I'd expect a serious upcharge for that awesome tower though. Or is it a swing set. ..swings not pictured?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
  Share Topic