Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 17>
Author
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 12:03am
Secondary stringers installed.....
Today was a GREAT day with the boat. I got an early start with my Buddies Shawn and Brian with me. The goal today was to get both sides of the secondary stringers installed.

First thing I did was wipe the inside of the boat with acetone. I then dry fit the stringers that I was installing one more time so myself and my friends knew what we where doing. I had a crazy idea to spray the resin instead of rolling it. I figured it would slow down are working time. If I could get everything wet out quick I would have more time to roll and brush all the air out. That said, I have a gel coat dump gun that I used for a few other projects, if it can spray gel it can spray resin. It worked soooooo good. Ok so here are the pics and the steps.

First step is to wet out the underside of the PRISMA preform stringers. This is the most important step. Make sure the entire underside is wet!!! As you can see in this picture that the dump gun sprays the resin very good.

Do the wet out in sections. The performs we are using came in 4ft lenghts. We did two at a time. This seemed to worked well for are 24oz mix of resin.

Once the underside is wet, flip the stringer over into position and wet out the topside. You want the stringer tabs to be as transparent as they will get. With spraying I used 24oz on each side for a pair. So that's two 4ft sections both sides really wet was 24oz of resin.

Once the first row was wet and in position we started to roll and brush all the air bubbles out.

I just repeated the process for the second row.

That's about the extent of these wonderful preforms. The entire job took us 2 hours.
First side done.

All done and ready for lunch. I will install the cap glass tomorrow first thing in the morning. The cap glass is a piece of biax that runs the oppisite direction as the biax on the stringer.

There is more pictures on my photobucket accout.
http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss210/jzarski/23%20Fish%20Nautique/
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 1:29am
There is nothing else to say but it looks great. Keep up the good work!!!!
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 1:51am
Inboard stringers done.....
Today we installed the inboard (main) stringer. These were cut at a 24 degree dead rise from Compsys. Each stringer took 48oz of resin to wet out. The install was the same as yesterdays secondary stringers. Enjoy the pictures....

This is the jig that we made to space the stringers the correct distance from each other.

Once the stringer was wet we placed it into position and installed the jig. The white stuff you see in this photo is wax paper so the wood won't stick to the wet resin on the stringer.

This is the first two stringers done. We did one at a time, leaving the jig on for about 30mins per side.

Now onto the front two. These were a little more difficult due to the curve of the bow. I used the same jig but adjusted it to fit the curve.

This is Scott Lewit, owner of Compsys checking our work and progress. It says allot about a company when the owner is willing to come by and give advice on what the next step should be.

All done. It took us about 2 hours working time to do this job. It was an all day job but allot of the time is waiting for resin to dry. Each stringer took about 30mins to wet and set.

worththewake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 9:27am
Your progress looks great! You are quite the inspiration. I cant wait to get mine in the garage and started.
Scott
1980 Fish Nautique - Twin V6 Crusaders
firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 10:32am
Its lookn awesome bud! pretty work... When are you planning on being done with the project???
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 10:55am
JZ - Your project looks great. I do have a question - with the stringers being in sections, isn't there a weak spot where the ends meet? How will you join the ends together so that spot is just as strong as the rest?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:17am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

JZ - Your project looks great. I do have a question - with the stringers being in sections, isn't there a weak spot where the ends meet? How will you join the ends together so that spot is just as strong as the rest?

I agree that it looks great but also thought about the same spot. However, the core of the product doesn't add much if any strength so a layer of glass at the splice equal to the same on the rest will tie it together with close to the same strength.

I may have missed the glass layup schedule in the thread but hope there's more glass going over the composite stringers to make up for the lost strenght of the wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:42am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I agree that it looks great but also thought about the same spot. However, the core of the product doesn't add much if any strength so a layer of glass at the splice equal to the same on the rest will tie it together with close to the same strength.

I may have missed the glass layup schedule in the thread but hope there's more glass going over the composite stringers to make up for the lost strenght of the wood.

O yeah there is three more layers of glass that I have to put on. The glass on the stringer is in the 0-90. This means that the biax on the stringer runs bow to stern. The next layer of glass with run port to starboard. This give me a chris-cross pattern on the stringer. Once that is done then I will use +-45 biax to tab them in. There is also another stringet that I will be installing, it will act as the bildge walls but will actually be a stringer the hight of the deck. This will allow me to tie the deck into the side hull and that stringer.

It is amazing how stiff the boat got with the stringers installed.

John
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 2:47pm
Looks good dude,,,
Question, the stringers are run all the way to the stern. Are there no drain exists in the design for water to run from each section to the middle bilge area?
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Looks good dude,,,
Question, the stringers are run all the way to the stern. Are there no drain exists in the design for water to run from each section to the middle bilge area?

I plan on drilling one inch holes towards the stern. I will insert a PVC pipe in the hole and glass around it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

I plan on drilling one inch holes towards the stern. I will insert a PVC pipe in the hole and glass around it.

Consider using fiberglass tube. It's still unknown and up in the air on how well the resin will stick to PVC.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 4:52pm

Consider using fiberglass tube. It's still unknown and up in the air on how well the resin will stick to PVC.

Where can I buy fiberglass tube or is it easier to make it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 5:25pm

Where can I buy fiberglass tube or is it easier to make it?
McMaster Carr list's it but it may be easier to make it. I'd actually make it half round so you can get it closer to the hull. Try taking the cardboard tube out of the center of a paper towel roll. Cut it in half and wrap it with the wax paper. Lay up some glass and you should have some decent half round fiberglass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 5:25pm
ebay

or if you took some pvc wrap it in wax paper and and throw some mat around it you could make it pretty quick!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 5:31pm
A alternate is to cut your hole, wrap the desired size of glass/resin around a balloon, insert, inflate and cut the ends to fold onto the stringer/hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 1:29pm
Poured rudder pad and rest of transome....
Since I am waiting for some more composite parts I decided to pour the remaining part of the transome. I had a crazy idea to frame in the rudder pad and pour it with the extra NIDA-POUR I had. Well the idea worked great. I still need to grind and far the edges. After I do that I will glass over the new pad with a few layers of biax. Here are a few pics....

This is the frame. Made it with paint mixing sticks and blue 3M tape.

This is the new pad just after I poured it.

Here it is with the frame off. I still need to grind, but NO WOOD!!!!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 7:14pm
that was a great idea!! that looked alot easier than stacking layer over layer of glass! great job john
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 9:12pm
future tip, your butt connections can be 45 degreed which gives you more adhesion contact surface and you can wood dowel them or screw them together if you would like. coming along nicely
"the things you own will start to own you"
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 10:53pm
Hatch building...
Well I am kind of at a standstill with the hull so yesterday and today I decided to start making my hatches. I had the molds done already. So Shawn and I got the big one PVAed, gelcoated and layed up. It came out really really good. Today we did the hatch. These are the big hatches, I will be using for over the bilge area. Enjoy the pics.

This is the Mold of the frame.

Gelcoat applied (3 coats)

Layup. 5 layers of chop, 2 layers of biax

This is the part just out of the mold. Looks green because the PVA is still on it.

Here is the final frame part. Just trim the flange and recess the deck and install it.

Here is the mold of the hatch. It is already PVAed in this photo

Gelcoat applied

Layup

Finished Hatch. Still has the PVA on it

I have a few size hatch molds so I will document each one as I make them. Closest I will get to a factory molded hatch
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 3:35pm
you have some skills there!! nice work...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 3:56pm
Very nice. I like it!! Keep up the excellent work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 4:53pm
Impressive! I'd be interested to learn more about how you made the molds too.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 6:22pm
very nice! are you going to making a big mold for the foreward deck/fish box??
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

Impressive! I'd be interested to learn more about how you made the molds too.

The molds where made with wood, body filler and lots of sanding and priming.

Fire I am working on that mold now. I an using the factory as a mold to make a plug to make another mold, if any of that make sense.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 9:58am
yeah it does... thats how i was doing the front hatch but i dont think it will come out anything close to as nice as the hatch you did there lol that looks awesome! Would you be interested in doing another bilge hatch and door for me and ill buy it off you?
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by firefight-n firefight-n wrote:

yeah it does... thats how i was doing the front hatch but i dont think it will come out anything close to as nice as the hatch you did there lol that looks awesome! Would you be interested in doing another bilge hatch and door for me and ill buy it off you?

Not a problem,do you only need one? I am using two bigs over the bilge so when open the whole area has access just like the factory did it. Well either way just let me know what you need. I also have the smaller one. I will be doing one of them over the weekend.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 9:38pm
probably just one in the bilge and ive already started the front but thanks thatd be awesome!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 11:38pm
Hey Fire, Do you have any recent pictures of your project. I would love to see the progress. I got my motor started today, runs like a champ!!

I also solved the issue with the hull so working on that this week, hope to have some pictures in a few days.

John
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 9:19am
Hey John, yeah ill put pics up when i get back from North Carolina, doing my annual deer hunt/get away time lol... i havent really done muck more than what youve seen. Just alot of glassing and making sure those stringers and bulkheads are ONE with the boat. I put 2 more layers of roven and mat and also tied all the bulkheads in. I just painted my fuel tank the other day with coal tar epoxy but the cold weather is making the cure take forever. So after i put a couple more coats on it, ill set that in the boat and start running fuel lines, plumbing and electrical.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 9:26am
how did that engine run for ya?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 17>
  Share Topic